Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #61
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconBrian
Does anyone have an opinon on the Calais station wagon? I know this is a Ford place so I expect to be called a mug for even thinking about it.
Calais V's are nice inside as the standard Calais is very ordinary. But you do get the 3.6L V6 so they're not to bad an engine but they do lack torque compared to the Falcon 6. So I would be thinking about that especially when you need to tow.

But I wouldn't expect all that much space in the back as they are not like the station wagons of old but more like a hatch.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:21 PM   #62
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive heard nothing but good thing about the new holden 3.6lt but haven't driven or been in one so my knowledge is very limited.

One car i have driven though is the subaru outback nice car they are heaps of feature , good rep and is a wagon and it rides high and trip compeuter was telling me it was doin under 7lt/100ks . It was a bit gutless but i drive a modified xr8 so almost every car i drive seems sluggish . But then there is the forester a little smaller i think but more pep assuming you can still get the turbo models
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2011, 10:22 AM   #63
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

There is almost no comparison to the Ford I6 VS the Commy V6. The Ford produces more torque which is what you are after.

Also note that the Territory is not your normal 4x4, actually its not a 4x4 even if it does have AWD. It can do more than your average RWD car but its no prado etc, it shares the falcons major parts so you can think of it has a jacked up falcon, which sounds like exactly what you are after.

Depending on your needs then I would not even both with AWD, you'd be surprised what a RWD Territory can do.

Not trying to steer you in one direction, the G6E will do the job easily, but if you are now looking at a wagon then all the boxes are being ticked for the Territory.

The Holden wagon looks good, ill give them that, but its a styling exercise as their sedan looks like it was made 10 years ago. Have a look at the actually cargo space (in litres) and I am sure the Territory will trump it.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2011, 11:15 AM   #64
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconBrian
Does anyone have an opinon on the Calais station wagon? I know this is a Ford place so I expect to be called a mug for even thinking about it.

Hey there, I dont have a Calais wagon but I have a VE series 2 SV6 wagon, which has the same drivetrain. I use it to tow a horse float and its by far the best tow car I have ever had. Its an incredibly stable platform, with very long wheelbase and very wide tracks, hefty weight and low centre of gravity. The brakes are also outstanding and it has plenty of power and torque, its a beautiful car to drive for hours on end, the ride and handling is outstanding for a car under $100,000. Before that an AUII was used which in itself was a fantastic tow car.

We ruled out the Territory pretty quickly purely due to highway fuel consumption as we spend most of the time travelling at 100kmh+. The RWD Territory only comes in 4 speed, and the AWD comes with 6 speed but that is offset by the mechanical drag. Added to the Territory is its bluff wind resistant shape, gearing and weight. We are averaging in the low 8s with the Holden and I estimate this is probably 15-20% better than a Territory so its significant over the many kms we do.

As to your choice, obviously its up to you. If Ford had a Falcon wagon I would got a G6 or XR6 wagon (although like you, would want a higher ride height). Falcons are extremely reliable and built for long distance towing. The G6E is also a beautiful looking car. The Holden wagon isnt as big as the previous Falcon wagon, but its still a very spacious and versatile car. The cargo area looks small but its a very long and wide car so there is plenty of room. Now that we have lived with the wagon im surprised we had survived so long without one.

In the end without knowing all of your circumstances I suggest you get the G6E, the financial savings over the Holden is important. Also the Falcon has the best engine and gearbox combos out there (but the Holden is a lot closer in 3.6litre form than people think), and a higher towing capacity. As you said a wagon isnt a necessity for you so maybe a compromise on that is small when you consider the money you save and the great car you will get.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #65
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terraplainin'
and the OP has expressed an indication that he feels the standard Falcon ride height is too low..
i don't know about FG, but my BF XR8 goes on dirt roads all the time (awful i know) and doesn't often have a problem with it's ride height, only the occasional scuff.