Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #31
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Holden Cruze and Honda Civic could be twins.

I dont think Holden need to pay Honda royalties for the cruze looking like a Civic, but they need to pay Honda some royalties for the cruze sounding like some of Honda's lawn mowers.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #32
stang65
FPRJET

Lol....Was waiting for your appearance.....GOLD
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #33
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
I dont think Holden need to pay Honda royalties for the cruze looking like a Civic, but they need to pay Honda some royalties for the cruze sounding like some of Honda's lawn mowers.
Gold!!
Old 08-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #34
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am self professed car spotter and even i had trouble distinguishing between Cruze and Civic. They are extremely similar design.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #35
stang65
FPRJET

Thank god, it's amazing how some can see it and others choose to deny it, even when providing opinions from people from other forums including a GM forum
Old 08-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #36
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Have a look at the BF, then the FG.

Except I don't think that was unintentional.

The Civic is a fair bit different from the new Cruze, but they have similar styling ques.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2011, 11:11 PM   #37
stang65
FPRJET

Welll I would say it is a compliment to Honda that Holden have borrowed some of then styling ques.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:23 PM   #38
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

while they are similar size and shape with a current trend design, I would not say they are identical at all

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 12:03 AM   #39
ray38l

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65
Thank god, it's amazing how some can see it and others choose to deny it, even when providing opinions from people from other forums including a GM forum
it all depends on how you look at it. If you look at it with an attitude of trying to find faults with it because its the opposition then you will think it looks the same.
If you look at it with both eyes open you will see that they have similar design themes but in no way could you say they look identical or could be twins. Only a few small parts of the car look similar to the Honda. The actual body of the car looks nothing like the Honda.
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 02:04 PM   #40
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Welll I would say it is a compliment to Honda that Holden have borrowed some of then styling ques.
Don't you mean:

Quote:
Well I would say it is a compliment to Honda that Holden Daewoo have borrowed some of then styling cues.

As one web review said, the new Focus is as recognisably European from the driver's seat as the Cruze is Korean from across the street.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #41
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaneman
Don't you mean:

As one web review said, the new Focus is as recognisably European from the driver's seat as the Cruze is Korean from across the street.
Pity thenwe get Focis built in South Africa and now Thailand.
Cruze is GM's world car.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 11:21 PM   #42
stang65
FPRJET

um you mean the Chevy cruze? the one where the steering wheel fell off while someone was driving it. i would rather one built here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2_b4V6C4aM
Old 10-06-2011, 12:01 AM   #43
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
um you mean the Chevy cruze? the one where the steering wheel fell off while someone was driving it. i would rather one built here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2_b4V6C4aM
There are no small fords built here.
Take it from me the South African Focus werent anything spectacular either.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:05 AM   #44
stevz
Banned

Is this pathetic excuse for a thread still going?
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2011, 12:30 AM   #45
stang65
FPRJET

oh go find another thread to stir the porridge.
Old 19-06-2011, 04:45 AM   #46
kpcart
Banned

the guy who started the topic probably hates holdens, but unfortunantly the cruze is a pretty good car. ofcourse it will look like its rivals in its class, that happens every in the world. current falcons and commodores share similar design cues, in germany audi, mercedes and bmw share design cues. 250cc sports motorcycles all look similar, harley davidson and other cruisers all look similar. dirt bikes all look similar. airplanes all look similar.
kpcart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2011, 11:09 PM   #47
stang65
FPRJET

Sorry mate I don`t hate Holdens, I actually think the HT AND Hq monaro`s were awesome cars. The Vl`s might have had a nissan motor in them but were very futuristic in their shape for the time loved the pop up headlights on the Calais/Director models.

Although I do beleive Fords are better. At the end of the day though the Cruze isn`t even Australian, it` s a rebadged daewoo that GM now own built by Holden.

But i do beleive it shares alot of if not too many similarities with the Honda civic.
Old 20-06-2011, 12:57 AM   #48
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
Its amazing that the last extreme differentiation in looks between holden & Ford was as recent as the AU & VT. But before that, it would have to be XF & VL.
How the hell can people have any difficulty seeing the difference between an EA-D and VN-P and an EF-L and a VR-S?

I have no problem differentiating between a BA-F and a VY-Z either...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 07:50 AM   #49
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpcart
the guy who started the topic probably hates holdens, but unfortunantly the cruze is a pretty good car. ofcourse it will look like its rivals in its class, that happens every in the world. current falcons and commodores share similar design cues, in germany audi, mercedes and bmw share design cues. 250cc sports motorcycles all look similar, harley davidson and other cruisers all look similar. dirt bikes all look similar. airplanes all look similar.
The cruze is a pretty good car? Yeah sure, for a car that can't figure out what gear it wants and that to maintain the same gear you needed to sit on 115, or 90...anywhere in between it was up and down like a yo-yo. They may have changed their dynamic since then...but...they're still a gutless POS.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 11:37 AM   #50
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
Really? Apart from some very slight similarities, they look totally different to me.

When I first saw cruze from a distance, I thought Toyota made a new Corolla with evolved Aurion-derived styling.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 03:56 AM   #51
kpcart
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
The cruze is a pretty good car? Yeah sure, for a car that can't figure out what gear it wants and that to maintain the same gear you needed to sit on 115, or 90...anywhere in between it was up and down like a yo-yo. They may have changed their dynamic since then...but...they're still a gutless POS.
thats your view, but not the majority, so you dont win. most small cars can be labelled gutless POS by people who want to do that. it is a pretty good car, and im not the only one that thinks that, just look at how it is selling.
Old 21-06-2011, 04:03 AM   #52
kpcart
Banned

too much brand love/hate in these forums. why do people feel so attached to certain brands and hate others? they all work the same way, they are all businesses taking your money, why cant people just rate cars for what they are without involving their stupid brand-loyalty in their oppinions. its funny because there are so many people that dont like big corporations like coles and woolies, bp, shell etc, but when it comes to cars, they become weird and just come across as plain stupid.
EVERY car company copies the other companies stylilng cues if they are successful. every car that you have ever owned has copied things from other cars, so get over yourself, fights between brand loyalists are the most pathetic thing to read on internet forums.
Old 21-06-2011, 06:10 AM   #53
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
too much brand love/hate in these forums. why do people feel so attached to certain brands and hate others? they all work the same way, they are all businesses taking your money, why cant people just rate cars for what they are without involving their stupid brand-loyalty in their oppinions. its funny because there are so many people that dont like big corporations like coles and woolies, bp, shell etc, but when it comes to cars, they become weird and just come across as plain stupid.
EVERY car company copies the other companies stylilng cues if they are successful. every car that you have ever owned has copied things from other cars, so get over yourself, fights between brand loyalists are the most pathetic thing to read on internet forums.
Cars seem to be more of an emotional/cultural thing than other corporations, but you are right.
I dont get the Holden hate and Japanese car love, everyones different.
Old 21-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #54
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
thats your view, but not the majority, so you dont win. most small cars can be labelled gutless POS by people who want to do that. it is a pretty good car, and im not the only one that thinks that, just look at how it is selling.
I don't win? Who said anything about winning...?

Let's get one thing clear...I grew up in the 'Holden' camp...and up until about three years ago, you wouldn't have caught me dead near a Ford. So there's no brand loyalty. Having driven the vehicle (the Cruze) from Brisbane to Bendigo, which was given as a hire car with less than 5000k's on the clock, the car lacked any kind of punchiness - to the point where overtaking someone was a task, as the car would search for gears, and potentially put a person in a particularly dangerous situation if they didn't know what to expect. For city driving, I'm sure it would be fine, but for open roads the petrol variant didn't have what was required FOR ME.

I don't particularly care for the Cruze - I know many people do...I also know many people who don't, it's not about winning or losing, it's about personal choice. My personal choice was, it was a bad choice.

The diesel variant may be a lot better, and I did say earlier if they'd changed the dynamic it may be a different story...I wouldn't know, as that experience put me off completely (from more than just a safety and economy perspective). All I know from 'my own personal experience' is that the car didn't GO anywhere when you put your foot down to overtake, there's a long pause and then it goes...my 12 year old pulsar has more guts.

So, your concept of brand loyalty is flawed in this instance - I really don't have any brand loyalty. There's an XR6T in the driveway and a 99 Nissan Pulsar. In the next twelve months there'll be a Fiesta instead of the Nissan...because the Fiesta did all the things that were required...NOT because of it's nameplate...

Not that any of that is relevant...The Cruze and Civic do have similarities...IMO of course.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez

Last edited by SEZ213; 21-06-2011 at 11:51 AM.
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post