Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry shoddy headlights

this has more than likly been discussed to death if so sorry im new but what is it with headlights? poorly adjusted .only one working,one on high other on low then theres also driving lights on not only bright and dangerous in the wet on bad sa roads but also illeagal in sa. sorry just had to vent im so sick of it as i do a lot of klm,s at night in the country!

davenl5l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 
Default Re: shoddy headlights

I know your pain, annoys me as well. My biggest pet hate is all those 4WD owners with poorly adjusted low beam that is set way too high. They end up just as bad as a high beam on any other car, made worse when they have to sit on your back bumper as well.

Hint to all the 4WD owners, if your low beam lights up the rear glass of the car in front, you are too close and you are being obnoxious.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I know your pain, annoys me as well. My biggest pet hate is all those 4WD owners with poorly adjusted low beam that is set way too high. They end up just as bad as a high beam on any other car, made worse when they have to sit on your back bumper as well.

Hint to all the 4WD owners, if your low beam lights up the rear glass of the car in front, you are too close and you are being obnoxious.
Sounds like a standard trip to Maryborough to me...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hates all the fog lights lit up on clear nights.. GGGGRRR!!!!!!
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it seems people haven't got the message about using driving lights/fog lights in good conditions. every second car has their extra lights turned on.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Not to mention the idiots that cant even turn them on in the night time. One thing i miss in my car is it doesnt have auto lights my old AU did as i drive with them on in the day time too.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #7
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Not to mention the idiots that cant even turn them on in the night time. One thing i miss in my car is it doesnt have auto lights my old AU did as i drive with them on in the day time too.
Agreed, it always makes me wonder how these type of people manage to deal with day to day life even though they are too stupid and dumb to realise their lights are not on driving at night. I see this situation most evenings here in Newcastle. In general, this place has a large quantity of stupid people anyway, but how they get away with it is beyond me.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go around on a Thursday night and every second car in my area has no lights on.
They get into there cars in a well lit shopping centre carpark, then drive all the way home with no lights on.
I followed 1 car for about 5 kms with no lights on at about 9pm one night. How stupid can you be.

I seriously don't care about most fog lights. There are a few that are bright, But most at not annoying.
Don't stare at them and they wont affect you much at all.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #9
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

trust me i dont stare but on narrow country roads with no fog line painted on the left and poor bitumen the same colour as the verge its like high beam the problem is even worse in the wet also most of the offenders are adelaide people rushing home from there shacks on sunday night from yorke penninsular and dont think that any road rules apply to them eg. speeding,tailgating and overtaking on double lines or they drive slow until they come to the overtaking lane then speed up so you cant pass.end of rant/winge
davenl5l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #10
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

The yellow fog lamps im not fussed about. Driving lamps also not to annoying unless bright as.

Driving with HIGH BEAMS on really irks me something huge, shortly followed by no lights.

I dont understand why something so simple can be stuffed up.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #11
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Here we go, fog lights again, bored now.

The thread is about poorly adjusted head lights (i.e high and low beam), not fog lights.

By the way, driving light (AKA spotties) are an extra set of lights operated on a separate switch and linked to the high beam, they project at the same level as the high beam and are normally a higher wattage than high beam with a more focussed beam (although may incorporate a spot and spread beam combo). Fog lights are set lower than the low beam, on a separate switch and are linked to the park lights. DRL (daytime running lights) are normally LED's (or sometimes HID's running a lower voltage) that are illuminated when the ignition is on and turned off when the low beam are turned on. Just thought I would point that out as some here have great difficulty with definitions, especially between driving light and fog lights.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #12
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems to be quite common, see lots of cars here at night with at least one headlight pointing up or sideways etc.... can only assume these cars have been in acidents and have never had headlights re-adjusted.

Worse are those stupid light globes which change colour (cant remember what their called). They go from blue, to white to yellow and are quite distracting and dangerous.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 06:13 PM   #13
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
The yellow fog lamps im not fussed about. Driving lamps also not to annoying unless bright as
Driving lamps only work with the headlamp high-beam function. 99% of factory front fog lamps are "white optic", otherwise "selective yellow", and in AUS- operate when the headlight switch is on park, low and high-beam, AND that the front fog switch is ON.

Quote:
Driving with HIGH BEAMS on really irks me something huge, shortly followed by no lights.
Agreed, particularly with the latter bit.

Quote:
I dont understand why something so simple can be stuffed up.
Well; .....
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #14
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jim what you are referring to could be the twinkle from some projector globes on some euro/jap cars.

When they change colour to your eyes, it's just the brim of light focus:

Although I could be completely wrong. I just think it must be that, as shown by the photo where the top of the light output eventually goes to a blue tinge.

On the thread topic, I HATE 4x4's with badly aligned headlights, and I HATE fools driving at night with parkers/ Fog lights only combo.

I once over took a truck that had his high beams and 4 spotties on, it absolutely killed my vision.
|Nate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 06:41 PM   #15
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxctive
Jim what you are referring to could be the twinkle from some projector globes on some euro/jap cars.

Although I could be completely wrong. I just think it must be that, as shown by the photo where the top of the light output eventually goes to a blue tinge.

Yea they seem to change colour depending on angle of view and whenever you hit a bump in the road etc... even those light blue "ice?" colour doesnt work well with my eyes and seem to be more blinding then regular coloured headlamps

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #16
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

I have seen a few HID headlights (the ones that seem to change colour on the edges) that are bright and annoying, interestingly the annoying ones are normally on cars that did not come equipped with them. Seems there might be reason the conversion kits are often not ADR compliant and not legal for road use. I find most of the OEM HID's are ok.

The HID's on our new mini seem ok but they have an automatic adjustment system on them. The light from our point of view is far superior to any halogen system I have ever seen, even the B series falcon lights lights which were very good for factory lights.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #17
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah it is interesting how some OEM HID cars have poorly adjusted beams out of the factory.

IMO, it's a lot of Mazda projector globes, they seem to not be aligned correctly.

Admittedly, I run 35w 6000k HID's in my EB and I don't find them to cause glare at all. I actually find that it's easier on my eyes seeing those come at me rather than factory globes.
|Nate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #18
MAD
Petro-sexual

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you can not fit HID globes to a stock halogen reflector and expect to have no glare to on coming drivers.
No matter how much you want it to, it's not gunna happen.
The ONLY way to have no glare with HID bulbs is to use a HID specific optical device.

more reading here...
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

I actually like the twinkle/flicker from new cars fitted with HID headlights. Honda Accord Euro, Mazda 3 MPS, multitude of BMW's, some new Audi's, but I hate SUV's fitted with HIDs, especially the new Land Rover. I've been blinded a few times by one. It certainly makes them stand out from a distance without being blinding at all.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #19
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxctive
Admittedly, I run 35w 6000k HID's in my EB and I don't find them to cause glare at all. I actually find that it's easier on my eyes seeing those come at me rather than factory globes.
but how often do you really see your own car coming towards you?
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #20
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Glen Waverley and the massive amount of ricer peckerheads about, a MASSIVE number of cars with poorly-fitted white-headlights that blind the hell out of you on low beam...
One goon with a VT Commodore even has them...

The cops need to crack down on illegally-fitted headlights that simply do not belong in suburban Melbourne...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 09:43 PM   #21
Matty4
Banana

I think that part of the problem these days with people driving at night without headlights on is the number of vehicles fitted with these electro-luminescient dash displays that light up once the ignition is on. In older model cars the dash didn't illuminate until you turned on the parkers and/or headlights, therefore you couldn't read the instruments.

A lot of people (I suspect) look at the dash at night and can see the instruments illuminated and with the amount of ambient street lighting around in the cities that enable you to see just as well without headlights on increases this problem.

We have Klugers as work vehicles (yeah, yeah, I know!!!) and unless you look for the very small warning light in the cluster to tell you the lights are on, you wouldn't know.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:52 PM   #22
WMD351
Size it up

Here's a breakdown of the relevant ADRs regarding HIDs
http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/...1#entry1000311
Quote:
So there you go, after all the lawyer speak and technical jargon. If the HID fitting isn't self levelling, doesn't have a headlamp cleaning system and isn't white (as in, white), then it's illegal.
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2011, 12:12 AM   #23
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4
I think that part of the problem these days with people driving at night without headlights on is the number of vehicles fitted with these electro-luminescient dash displays that light up once the ignition is on. In older model cars the dash didn't illuminate until you turned on the parkers and/or headlights, therefore you couldn't read the instruments.

A lot of people (I suspect) look at the dash at night and can see the instruments illuminated and with the amount of ambient street lighting around in the cities that enable you to see just as well without headlights on increases this problem.

We have Klugers as work vehicles (yeah, yeah, I know!!!) and unless you look for the very small warning light in the cluster to tell you the lights are on, you wouldn't know.
Very interesting point you have there and I can see how that would be a factor in a small number of cases. Having said that, I constantly see people driving without lights on and their car is way too old to have that problem. In that case it is nothing but incompetence. Any way you cut it, it shows a lack of attention and a lack of responsibility even if it is a one off occurrence.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:21 AM   #24
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford festivas seam to have brighter then normal low beam.
The bluey white lights on modern cars are great. To me they seam to stand out more but are not the slightest bit dazzling.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #25
WMD351
Size it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Very interesting point you have there and I can see how that would be a factor in a small number of cases. Having said that, I constantly see people driving without lights on and their car is way too old to have that problem. In that case it is nothing but incompetence. Any way you cut it, it shows a lack of attention and a lack of responsibility even if it is a one off occurrence.
Forgetting to turn the lights on is also a very common indicator of somebody who has had a few too many drinks.
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post