Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
turbo_man

Default steering

hey guys just need a general opinion last night i found out the hard way of the importance of good tyres as i ended up losing the front in the wet and crashing into a gutter at about 30-40 k's at an angle of around 45 degrees. now the front tyres need replacing because one of them is torn and the other looks at the end of it's life (probably how i lost it) but now i have to steer about 45 degrees right to drive straight ahead, my first course of action is an alignment and some new tyres. but if this doesnt correct the steering then what could possibly be broken or bent and how much could it end up costing me to fix? i drive a vs commodore and im not exactly made of money being a p plater and all so this is very worrying

edit: hmm 40k's is probably an exageration id say more like 20-30 still somewhat quick though

Last edited by turbo_man; 23-07-2011 at 07:30 PM.
turbo_man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 
Default Re: steering

You hit it at a fair pace ... i am surprised it still drives.
With a steering wheel at an angle like that ... I would not be surprised that there's damage to control arm(s) / tie-rod end / rack end / steering rack / hub.

Take it to get it checked ... but if there's damage ... they place won't be able to do any sort of alignment ... well .. they may be able to straighten it up a bit more than what you have now ... but it won't be perfect.

Ask them to see what's damaged and give you a list to start off with.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
You hit it at a fair pace ... i am surprised it still drives.
With a steering wheel at an angle like that ... I would not be surprised that there's damage to control arm(s) / tie-rod end / rack end / steering rack / hub.

Take it to get it checked ... but if there's damage ... they place won't be able to do any sort of alignment ... well .. they may be able to straighten it up a bit more than what you have now ... but it won't be perfect.

Ask them to see what's damaged and give you a list to start off with.

Good advise right here. I very much doubt you've gotten away without any sort of damage.

IMA. A good place to look for damage is the front cross member where the Z-bar (Radius rod) goes through. This area is fairly weak on Commodores. The damage to look for is signs of it being pushed inwards.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2011, 10:47 PM   #4
turbo_man

hmm well if it helps the steering wheel isnt pulling in any direction it feels normal (maybe a tiny bit lighter) and the car can straighten itself like normal but the wheel is 45 degrees right but acts normally otherwise and if i let go of the wheel driving straight it will stay at 45 degrees and continue forward like normal
turbo_man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2011, 12:21 AM   #5
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_man
hmm well if it helps the steering wheel isnt pulling in any direction it feels normal (maybe a tiny bit lighter) and the car can straighten itself like normal but the wheel is 45 degrees right but acts normally otherwise and if i let go of the wheel driving straight it will stay at 45 degrees and continue forward like normal

There could be numerous suggestions placed on what is or isn't bent. The only way to know for sure, is have the front left corner inspected in person by someone competent.

For what it's worth, I have come across bent rackends, bent stub axles, bent cross members, bent rims and bent control arms as a result of these sorts of impacts. Not necessarily all of the above as the result of a single impact, but none the less, it would appear something is bent, so take it somewhere for it to be visually inspected. Otherwise we will all be clutching at straws.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post