Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 07-10-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
fbvisitor

Default windscreen washer not working

Hi all,

SWMBO asked me to refill the washer bottle as she had run it dry. No worries I thought, wrong........

It appears the LT is like the Terri it replaced. If you run the washer empty, it seems to lose its prime. I know in the Terri I ended up disconnecting the hose to the squirter up near windscreen end and actually sucking the water up to it to get it to work again.

After a quick look tonight, I couldn't find somewhere to disconnect things. I'll have another look tomorrow and waybe try and pop the squirter out of the bonnet perhaps.

Is there an easier way to do this? At the moment, each time you operate the front or rear washer, it only squirts out for a split second.

Is this a common problem? I know with the Terri, I just never let it run empty again. I'm thinking this is the way to go here too.

Cheers.

fbvisitor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
fbvisitor

Default Re: windscreen washer not working

Problem solved.

I decided to pull the hood lining and disconnect the hose from the driver side squirter and suck on it. Nothing.

Off with the front wheel and inner guard and with a bit of fiddling about, I dropped the tank down enough to pop out the pump and then the rubber filter that the pump fits into.

There must have been half a cup of sludge in the tank and the fine holes in the filter were all but blocked off.

A quick flush out with the garden hose and all back together.

Voila. It works, and I've only skun one 1 knuckle. Not bad.
fbvisitor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2011, 12:25 AM   #3
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 
Default Re: windscreen washer not working

Thanks for the tip. One skinned knuckle isn't a big price to pay for a working washer system again.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post