Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-11-2011, 10:09 PM   #61
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Default Re: Suggestions for FGII Wagon Designs.

Chopped, yes it did win at the show. 1st.

I wanna try to make a full size wagon look good (at least to me). I'll see how it turns out. Not everyone will like it. Will be interesting to see what the reaction will be to my design.

Madwag, I'll design a special edition just for you with the wood panels. Just for you because no one else will buy it.
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #62
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Thanks Gothefalcon,

I'll design it the best way I can! Besides if they use any of it, they can change what they want to suit.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:11 AM   #63
madwag
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsAreMyLife
Madwag, I'll design a special edition just for you with the wood panels. Just for you because no one else will buy it.

ill be in heaven. The thing i like about wagons of old is they where not sports cars but a car that was fun, and you did fun things in, and went fun places with.

The Daily's Build.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11349360

Weekender: '69 VW Notchback
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...24#post4531824
madwag is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2011, 12:20 AM   #64
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwag
The thing i like about wagons of old is they where not sports cars but a car that was fun, and you did fun things in, and went fun places with.

Here! Here ! Totally agree with this statement !! That's why I've built my AWD Falcon Wagon... to be able to explore great places... and still be travelling in a Falcon Wagon.... just like I have done all these years !!
They're a bit like a mars bar really.... for work, rest & play !!
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2011, 12:43 AM   #65
J.Molloy
Territorial

As for a future falcon wagon. I think it will need to look sleek and sporty.
The big boxy, practical wagons are dead IMO, they won't sell well.

Sleek, sexy wagons are the next big thing IMO.

examples -
image[/QUOTE]

love that merc shooting break, one seriously sexy wagon, be good to see how you get on with these drawings mate,

Would love love to see a, 'sleek kinda upper niche model, something along the lines of the merc but with ford styling
Old 10-11-2011, 12:51 AM   #66
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like the blue XR8 wagon,was a winner from the start.
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2011, 01:52 AM   #67
SPArKy_Dave
Too many Fords........ :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwag

ill be in heaven. The thing i like about wagons of old is they where not sports cars but a car that was fun, and you did fun things in, and went fun places with.
Like this.................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjQN1TH81Q0
SPArKy_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #68
prydey
Rob

that blue xr8 wagon, and the merc/volvo/hyundai pictured are all about as practical and usefull as tits on a bull. the holden sportwagon also fits in this category.

the people that buy these type of cars don't necessarily need a wagon. they just buy a different body style car. the danger is it can eat into what would have been a sedan sale, so overall sales aren't increasing as much.

with falcon's wagon, the only people who were buying it were those who needed the wagon for what it is. for its practicality. every wagon sale wasn't at the expense of a sedan sale.

this is a two edged sword though to some degree. the most likely candidates for the wagon (families) can't afford to drop 40k on a new one so sales are low.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #69
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

I won't be designing a wagon like the Merc Shooting Brake or the other examples. That's heading off course. Not my plan at all. If someone else wishes to design a wagon that is meant to only contend with the sports wagons, then they may go ahead.

My plan, is to design a wagon that is big, and more practical than the last one, but, I want to try to make a wagon like that look really good. It's going to be a car that I would buy. I'd only buy one of those other sports wagons if I already had a big wagon. I love the usefulness you get from big wagons. So many things you can do. The challenge for me is to make it look good.

Haha, that video is perfect. Gives me an idea too. When I'm finished designing, I'll photocopy on of the designs, add a roo bar, roof racks, mudflaps and all other stuff, then I'll put some dust and dirt on the side, bugs on the front, and luggage in the back, on the rack, maybe even people inside the car. Then draw a simple, effective background. Rest area maybe.

Thanks everyone. If no one has any more sugguestions, I'll get started on my wagons.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:10 PM   #70
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsAreMyLife
Chopped, yes it did win at the show. 1st..........
Well done, it's a good drawing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
......as practical.....
Practical cars are niche. People buy on trends (sad but true).

Example - Mazda 2 used to be a little box with heaps of storage, clever fold up seats etc etc (practical).
It didn't sell very well (the same niche people bought them). The new Mazda 2 is all about style (trendy) and is smaller and has less space etc etc (less practical). It is selling very well.

Last edited by Chopped; 10-11-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Chopped is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #71
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would suggest one that combines the same dimensions as the EA-AU wagon, and Telstra black box functionality, with the seductive cues of the new breed of wagons. That way the Falcon wagon isn't just another also ran.I drew one of these in 2008 when the FG was released I will upload the scan soon.
Also a shooting brake
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2011, 04:41 PM   #72
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can someone explain why everyone keeps saying a Ford wagon wont sell ?

Holden had no problem selling the Sportwagon, from a quick search they sold over 12,000 in the first year of release!

Is it because its a Ford ??

Pricing ??

Has the market changed ??

Or is it to do with Ford Aus marketing or lack thereof ??

I just dont get it.
GT 160 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2011, 04:55 PM   #73
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

@Chopped.
Thanks, I was pretty happy with it. It's not bad. Proportions aren't perfect, but it was a quickie. Didn't spend all the time I could have getting it right.
Yeah, I get what you mean. I reckon if the Falcon wagon can be both practical and stylish, that'd be perfect. That's what I wanna go for. Whether I can achieve something good enough is unknown. I may even have a go at doing a sports wagon. The original idea was to just design a FG AWD wagon, and then I decided to do wagons in all the specs as well.

@FalconXV. Basically you have the idea. As I said before, the only way to explain to you what I would have the wagon look like, is to put it on paper.

I'd love to see your drawings! Looking forward to seeing the scan.

Thanks.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #74
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzwa
Can someone explain why everyone keeps saying a Ford wagon wont sell ?

Holden had no problem selling the Sportwagon, from a quick search they sold over 12,000 in the first year of release!

Is it because its a Ford ??

Pricing ??

Has the market changed ??

Or is it to do with Ford Aus marketing or lack thereof ??

I just dont get it.
The reason a lot of people think a Falcon wagon that is full size and practical won't sell, is because of styling and trends. The wagon trend at this point in time is sportwagons.
It's not because it's a Ford, or the Pricing.
I reckon if Ford did make a sports type wagon, it would sell. But there's only one way to find out how well it would sell. I think that if Ford made a Falcon FGII wagon that is the same size (or a little larger) than the previous wagons, but styled the rear end to look really good, it could sell better than if they did a sport wagon. If you can get practicality and good looks, it can't be a bad thing.

I doesn't even matter if some of us think it would sell or it won't, it's all opinion. There's no way for us to prove who's right or wrong, only Ford can do that. If they ever decide to try a new wagon that is big big stylish, good luck to them, I'll buy one too.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #75
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothefalcon
Ahh !! You didn't say it THAT way before !! Brings back memories of the Ex.... she expected me to read minds too !! Ha ha !! (Shudder)

Isn't a "LWB Falcon sedan with Fairlane boot"... a Fairlane?? Or do you mean bring back the base model Fairlane, as was avialble in the 60s & 70s... which was basically a bigger falcon500,without all the Fairlane luxo trimmings?

Ford Owned the Luxo market in this country with Fairlane/LTD.... but the bean counters slowly stripped that away by undermining these vehicles through lack of differentiation ! Slowly but surely with each new model... came less and less changes, until they just looked like Fairmont Ghia's with a bigger bum! Even inside, it's hard to tell, unless you are a trainspotter !! A very sad demise indeed! Holden killed off the Statey & Ute for a while, then brought them back... perhaps Ford can do the same with Fairlane & Wagon !!??

It's up to you Chris !! Design a Wagon that no-one can resist... not even the bean counters at Ford !! Ha ha !!!
As buyers gradually crossed into Euros instead of LWB Fords, Ford had less and less money with every model to spend differentiating them. They killed it when sales dropped down to about 200 a month.

Guess where Holden is now with the Caprice. Statesman is already gone, and Caprice is selling about 150 a month. It will be dead soon too, so no LWB locally made cars will exist any more.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #76
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

[QUOTE=Gothefalcon]Ahh !! You didn't say it THAT way before !! Brings back memories of the Ex.... she expected me to read minds too !! Ha ha !! (Shudder)
LOL, well this what i said originally:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I heard that the long wheelbase cars were conditional on both surviving as FG variants
of Fairlane and Station wagon were to use longer wheelbase and the longer rear doors
but when Fairlane was cancelled, the chances of FG wagon really nose dived as the cost
for doing the doors and rear quarter panels couldn't be properly amortized without the
more expensive Fairlane to spread the costs.
Quote:
Isn't a "LWB Falcon sedan with Fairlane boot"... a Fairlane?? Or do you mean bring back the base model Fairlane, as was avialble in the 60s & 70s... which was basically a bigger falcon500,without all the Fairlane luxo trimmings?
Yes it is but think about it as a LWB Falcon G series...

Quote:
Ford Owned the Luxo market in this country with Fairlane/LTD.... but the bean counters slowly stripped that away by undermining these vehicles through lack of differentiation ! Slowly but surely with each new model... came less and less changes, until they just looked like Fairmont Ghia's with a bigger bum!
As I said earlier Polites diverted money away from Stationwagon and Luxury
LWBs to Territory because he felt that was the way to go with finite resources...

Quote:
Even inside, it's hard to tell, unless you are a trainspotter !! A very sad demise indeed! Holden killed off the Statey & Ute for a while, then brought them back... perhaps Ford can do the same with Fairlane & Wagon !!??

It's up to you Chris !! Design a Wagon that no-one can resist... not even the bean counters at Ford !! Ha ha !!!
I was hoping that FG would have had roughly a 50mm wheelbase increase but not to be...
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #77
THE SLUG
REAL 4X4'S RATTLE

Should be interesting to see how this turns out, I will be watching. And I want a wagon like the one from the Big M ad. Something you can have fun in

THE SLUG - 1985 Toyota 4Runner
2.8L Turbo, 2.5" exhaust, 5" lift, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZs, lots of stickers

THE DAILY - 2006 BFII XR6T
Process West plenum, intercooler, intake kit, and throttle body relocation, 80lb injectors, 4" dump, twin 2.5" X-Force exhaust, high flow cat, ZF tune, 330rwkw @ 15 psi, 20" staggered MC Racing Simmons copies

THE TOY - 2000 AU Falcon
4.0L, 2.5" straight pipe, T5, BA brakes, spool, stripped out, slammed
THE SLUG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #78
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

^^^ I'll draw the perfect car
Looking forward to it all myself. Will begin in the next 3 days.
Thanks everyone, suggestions so far have been great!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:44 PM   #79
THE SLUG
REAL 4X4'S RATTLE

You should base it on an XF like in the ad

Process West plenum, intercooler, intake kit, and throttle body relocation, 80lb injectors, 4" dump, twin 2.5" X-Force exhaust, high flow cat, ZF tune, 330rwkw @ 15 psi, 20" staggered MC Racing Simmons copies

THE TOY - 2000 AU Falcon
Old 10-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #80
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Nah, it'll be a FGII wagon, mudflaps, factory roof bar integrated into front bar as seen on some AU's, roof rack, bonnet and headlight protectors, other random accessory junk, parked in a gravel rest area, dirt down the side, bugs on the front, people under a shaded shelter in the background eating or something, on a road trip.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:53 PM   #81
THE SLUG
REAL 4X4'S RATTLE

Alright, that sounds pretty sick

THE TOY - 2000 AU Falcon
Old 10-11-2011, 09:55 PM   #82
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Hopefully you'll think so when I finish it.
Whole project will probably take me a few weeks though.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:59 PM   #83
THE SLUG
REAL 4X4'S RATTLE

Meh, I can wait

THE TOY - 2000 AU Falcon
Old 10-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #84
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Hopefully the wait will be worth it.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:27 PM   #85
prydey
Rob

not sure why you seem to be insisting upon a bull bar/smart bar of sorts. i'd give that a miss.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #86
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

It will only be on that version, most of the other designs of the different models will not have a bar. Reason I wan't to make a bull bar, because I've grown to love the one the family AUII has, and I want to see if I can make one look as good or better on a FGII wagon. Maybe I'm just weird. But I dont care.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:50 PM   #87
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Perhaps you can draw some design inspiration from the Focus wagon and the Mondeo wagon. That way, there'll be a clear "Ford" style to the rear end, and they aren't exactly sportwagons either - despite the curvature of the side rear glass, the rear compartment is actually quite square.

http://photo.netcarshow.com/Ford-Foc...1_photo_08.jpg
http://photo.netcarshow.com/Ford-Mon...1_photo_08.jpg

Scale up those designs and you've got yourself a good looking Falcon wagon.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #88
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Awesome idea. I quite like the shape of the rear of the Mondeo. Make it a bit bigger and longer, to suit the Falcon, I reckon we'd have something.
I can see this ending up looking pretty good, whilst keeping the big cargo area.

Thanks!
Old 23-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #89
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Righto! I have begun! I have a basic outline of the front of the FGII, takes ages to get the proportions right, and will most likely require more. I started on Saturday, did a bit on monday too, didnt get time on Sunday or Tues, and today my new 0.3mm pencil arrived at the local art store. Much much better. I want it to be very detailed, and so far I'm liking the 0.3. Almost looks half the size of the 0.5.

I'm drawing on A3 size paper, I've always done it on A4 before. Can't photocopy the A3 paper on our photocopier, so I'll have to do those at the library in town. No worries. I'll post updates and pics of progress as I go along in a new thread. Any suggestions what section it'd be best to put it in? I reckon the Pub is still ok.