Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-11-2011, 03:27 AM   #1
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

Lightbulb Bit of advice needed about rego

Hi fellow forumers,

I'm 3/4 through my XE rebuild and am starting to think about how to go about rego. The car will mainly be a burnout car but I would also like rego so I can take it out for a quick lap when I want.

The car was originally a 6 cylinder fairmont and here is a list of the main modifications that I am planning on doing:
- Tunnel rammed 351 cleveland around 340-350rwhp
- FMX auto with 3800 stall
- Spooled 3.9 borgwarner (will change to LSD for road use)
- Fuel cell in boot with holley blue pump etc and braided lines throughout
- 4 into 1 headers with 3 inch collectors into 3 inch system
- Extra coolant tank between radiator and engine.
- Lowered on king springs and Koni adjustables.

Now my main questions are:
- First of all will they pass it with the v8 in it?
- Can I just use low filters and a scoop for a blue slip?
- Can I run a fuel cell and what are the requirements for blue slip?
- Or should I keep the plastic tank until after it passes?
- How do I go about emissions. Rehook up charcoal canister somehow and should be ok? what to do about catch can?

Nothing crazy but enough to worry about being knocked back.

Only real issues I can see are emissions with different carbies and exhaust and the carbs out of the bonnet which I'd cover with a scoop for rego. If I use the factory fuel tank I shouldnt have to worry about that side of things would I?

Will I have any chance of passing a blue slip or am I dreaming and definitely going to need an engineers certificate?

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 07:53 AM   #2
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Bit of advice needed about rego

Er... wouldnt it have been better to look all this up before you started building the car to see if the mods you plan will pass?

I think the biggest issue would be the carbs sticking out of the bonnent, hiding under a scoop is all very well and good but its the height of the scoop which may cause a drama.

Dunno about NSW but pretty sure a spool is illegal for road use...

Your monster exhaust system will probably be too noisy to pass...

How low is your suspension?

All factory emissions MUST be retained....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First of all will they pass it with the v8 in it?unless nsw laws have changed , cant see why not
- Can I just use low filters and a scoop for a blue slip?depends on your roady man but i doubt it
- Can I run a fuel cell and what are the requirements for blue slip?probably not, fuel cells fill from inside the boot,illegal on a road going car
- Or should I keep the plastic tank until after it passes? I would leave it forever, ya wont drive far on 15 odd litres of fuel on the road
- How do I go about emissions. Rehook up charcoal canister somehow and should be ok? what to do about catch can?use a early engine and retain all xe pollution, if u want a catch can , hook it up.

Not sure about nsw, but in vic roady rules have changed(photos). You have buckleys getting a car with rams thru a roady like jim said. I did but that was years ago. You will have to think about carbs as well (non standard carburettion etc)
A clevo making 350 at the bags is a decent engine , I am not sure why you would choose a fmx to do the job tho. 3800 stall is a touch high for street use in my opinion. A borgwarner diff ? , the first pass will snap an axle n leave u waiting for the towie. Look towards a 9" with positrac, that will do both street n strip jobs. Holley pumps are notoriously loud and have a tendency to leak. To run 3" collecors and pipe, the car will have to sit very high to make minimum ground clearance to pass roady. Why run an extra coolant tank ? . The right radiator will keep it cool as anything. As for suspension, kings and konis, I can see 1000+ dollars there, not that money is an issue for a car lover.... Overall quite possible but not uch chance of gettin it roadworthied in any state in oz.
JG65TE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Er... wouldnt it have been better to look all this up before you started building the car to see if the mods you plan will pass?

I think the biggest issue would be the carbs sticking out of the bonnent, hiding under a scoop is all very well and good but its the height of the scoop which may cause a drama.

Dunno about NSW but pretty sure a spool is illegal for road use...

Your monster exhaust system will probably be too noisy to pass...

How low is your suspension?

All factory emissions MUST be retained....
Originally the car was being built as a dedicated burnout car and only recently I have been toying with the idea of rego. I figured a few changes here and there and it might of had a bit of a chance to pass which is why I asked. If its a definite no go then I'll just keep it as a burnout toy.

The spool would be changed out for an LSD if it were on the road.

Exhaust wise could be a bit of a battle but with a couple of good boxes it should be do-able.

Emissions would be the biggest issue I would imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG65TE
First of all will they pass it with the v8 in it?unless nsw laws have changed , cant see why not
- Can I just use low filters and a scoop for a blue slip?depends on your roady man but i doubt it
- Can I run a fuel cell and what are the requirements for blue slip?probably not, fuel cells fill from inside the boot,illegal on a road going car
- Or should I keep the plastic tank until after it passes? I would leave it forever, ya wont drive far on 15 odd litres of fuel on the road
.- How do I go about emissions. Rehook up charcoal canister somehow and should be ok? what to do about catch can?use a early engine and retain all xe pollution, if u want a catch can , hook it up.

Not sure about nsw, but in vic roady rules have changed(photos). You have buckleys getting a car with rams thru a roady like jim said. I did but that was years ago. You will have to think about carbs as well (non standard carburettion etc)
A clevo making 350 at the bags is a decent engine , I am not sure why you would choose a fmx to do the job tho. 3800 stall is a touch high for street use in my opinion. A borgwarner diff ? , the first pass will snap an axle n leave u waiting for the towie. Look towards a 9" with positrac, that will do both street n strip jobs. Holley pumps are notoriously loud and have a tendency to leak. To run 3" collecors and pipe, the car will have to sit very high to make minimum ground clearance to pass roady. Why run an extra coolant tank ? . The right radiator will keep it cool as anything. As for suspension, kings and konis, I can see 1000+ dollars there, not that money is an issue for a car lover.... Overall quite possible but not uch chance of gettin it roadworthied in any state in oz.
-Never really thought about the carbs being knocked back.

-Only reason I was going to go the 40L cell is to remove the plastic tank out from under the bumb so doesnt get hurt during burnouts etc and also more room for exhaust. May end up just using the plastic tank if theres a chance it will pass with all the other stuff on the car

-The only reason it has an FMX is because it came in the car. The stall is high yes but as I said would not see much road use. Later on down the line I plan on upgrading to a stage 3 C4 with full manual.

-The block and heads show the engine was out of a 1975 LTD. If I just use all of the XE emissions gear would it pass?

-Diff wise I will have to expriment with how it will handle the power. Currently building up a 28 spline, 3.9 geared setup. If it keeps breaking too easy I may need to look more into it. The old 25 spline setup handled a lot of abuse without any damage but the motor was basically stock lol.

- As stated before I was originally building the car just for burnouts. Previously cooling was an issue and am making the coolant tank to help the cooling capacity. Also have a 3 core aluminium radiator to go with it.

- Suspension came free in another XE S-pack parts car that came I got for nothing when I purchased the XE. Suspension is still good as new and have already run it in the car before the rebuild began.

Looks as if it might just have to stay the burnout pig if it's going to be too hard to get on the road. Joys of cars lol

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

Old 23-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Would it not be easier and cheaper to just go all out in the XE and trailer it around? Providing you have a tow vehicle.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #6
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

Thats essentially what I am doing. Just wouldnt it be fun to also be able to go for a lap to the shops when I want.

Old 23-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #7
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

If you get it passed for rego, are you going to remove all the "burnout" items and replace them with the "rego" items just for that quick lap?

Choice is yours, but personally I'd leave it as a burnout specific car only. Saves you headaches down the track

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 10:34 AM   #8
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not a real good chance itll pass a real RWC in any state with what you mention
You could do as many do (those with more time than brains),
swap all the bits to pass, then swap all the bits that wouldnt pass and take the risk of being nabbed
Then when you do get nabbed, swap all the bits that arent right for those that are ,pay your fines cop you demerit points ,pay for the inspection then take it home and do it all again
(Like i said more time than brains)
Keep the car either legalish or dont bother with rego,you could get a weekend permit here and there and go for a cruise,but again i think the car has to be in a road worthy state
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #9
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Why not write everything down that you've done and ask the local (Dubbo?) RTA if it's ok... NOT the office staff, the inspectors.

With regards to the Engineers cert have you still got the standard drivers seat? If you've fitted an aftermarket one a cert will be needed.
Old 24-11-2011, 10:55 PM   #10
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

take all the ****y ****y stuff off to get rego...
realise you dont need ****y ****y stuff to drop epic skids....
epic skids with no ****y ****y stuff = win...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 11:48 PM   #11
dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
take all the ****y ****y stuff off to get rego...
realise you dont need ****y ****y stuff to drop epic skids....
epic skids with no ****y ****y stuff = win...
Well said man!!
dirty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 03:31 AM   #12
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Too many mods for a street legal car...even if you managed to get it past somehow, you wouldn't even get to the corner shop before the Plod descended on you from every direction. It might be legal(ish) but it would be a constant hassle...

Trailer it and go as extreme as you want...

I'd agree with the "take off the ****y ****y stuff" comment too...basically, you're just spinning the back wheels...making adequate power is enough, and having a well setup cooling system to cope is probably the most important thing, rather than outright mega horsepower...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post