Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
robbo/region15

Default Auto Sector Mfg-where we heading?

Troubled times ahead,received an email from FOA,stating they[BMeadows] will go to 4 day weeks from end of April to the end of June 2012.
Still ,since my last posts months ago ,Elizabeth plant is flying,we hardly keep up with there requirements................

Just dont know anymore,where its all going,there is no security any more ,just glad im not a young un with a $300k mortgage..........

robbo/region15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Auto Sector Mfg-where we heading?

There won't be any Friday built cars for months, no one will be able to say they have a Friday built car if they have an early 2012 Falcon or Territory that has issues.

Downbalance is rumoured for mid year.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it`s the same every where mate, i heard on the radio yesterday or the day before 80 workers from the telecommunications industry got the bullet iirc, manufacturing been heading down the creek without a paddle for years, maybe even decades, now the creek is picking up speed, yes i`d also hate to be a youngen trying to get montary and job security these days as well.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2012, 03:17 AM   #4
Buntz
Straight Eight

Govco clearly doesn't care. Who cares about opinion. We need to protects what's ours. And more government support for the manufacturing and automotive sector needs to happen.

We aint gonna be living off of China's money for much longer. Soon they aren't going to be able to pay the bills. And we'll miss out on a lot of opportunity if we have no skilled workforce and factories to make stuff.

Other countries see the benefit of this. U.K is now subsiding car companies to start building cars there again. This is there way of trying to get out the financial hole they're in. Germany is a financial strength of Europe, and they heavily subsidise their companies. ZF is owned by an entire twonship or county or something. Can we see a link here Australia? Start subsidising. Start getting more cars built here.

And give Ford more than 33 million hows abouts? Probably will once Ford makes up their mind. Why can't they make up their mind?
Old 06-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
HUNTER8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
Govco clearly doesn't care. Who cares about opinion. We need to protects what's ours. And more government support for the manufacturing and automotive sector needs to happen.
Not only does Govco need to support local so do WE. Unless Australians start to support Australian businesses then the slide is just going to continue.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTER8
Not only does Govco need to support local so do WE. Unless Australians start to support Australian businesses then the slide is just going to continue.
100% agree.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
madmatty
dipstick

how much of the falcon or commodore is made in australia?I know they assemble them here but what about the parts?
madmatty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #8
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
There won't be any Friday built cars for months, no one will be able to say they have a Friday built car if they have an early 2012 Falcon or Territory that has issues.

So Thursday will be last day though so it's technically a Friday by another name
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #9
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

What shtts me the most is these idealistic Greens in the ACT govt who buy Priuses. What good is buying a fuel effic car which isnt as cheap as a falcon and sends jobs overseas.
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd
What shtts me the most is these idealistic Greens in the ACT govt who buy Priuses. What good is buying a fuel effic car which isnt as cheap as a falcon and sends jobs overseas.
yes a lot of them seem to have a very limited view of the big picture and often extremist outlook, the future of oz does not have the same rosey look that it had 20/30 years ago to me.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #11
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd
You don't get it, the govt buys them at a discounted price and then disposes of them at a similar price.
The running costs and CO2 levels are way lower, hybrids are perfect for fleets and taxis who do high mileage,
they recoup the difference in price via fuel sayings in the first 12-15 months, then it cash in the pocket...

Since around 75% of Falcon and Commodore sales were to fleets and novated leases, I think we're seeing a big shift
away from these traditional buyers with just a few retail sales making up the numbers.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #12
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTER8
Would if I could.... financially I have no hope. As I progress in career paths maybe... but Falcon may not be around when that time comes, and my dream of buying one new will be snatched away.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #13
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

I work for general motors corp (Holden) NDC in dandy and as far as parts go, 2 million bucks a day in part sales.
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmatty
how much of the falcon or commodore is made in australia?I know they assemble them here but what about the parts?
The latest RACV members magazine had an article on this vary topic. A Ford Falcon or Territory fitted with a inline six is the most "Australian" of all the local cars with 70-75% local content. That figure is reduced for TDCi Territory. Holdens Commodore was down around the 50-60% mark.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #15
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6
The latest RACV members magazine had an article on this vary topic. A Ford Falcon or Territory fitted with a inline six is the most "Australian" of all the local cars with 70-75% local content. That figure is reduced for TDCi Territory. Holdens Commodore was down around the 50-60% mark.
Well ... I bet that one will be .. err .. ignored by those who have dificulty in not recognising that Holden and Ford are both American companies .
Old 07-04-2012, 01:44 AM   #16
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRXR6
Well ... I bet that one will be .. err .. ignored by those who have dificulty in not recognising that Holden and Ford are both American companies .
And????

If something is developed and built in Australia, that creates expertise, jobs, and money in Australia.
The company I work for is actually listed on the Singapore stock exchange. So what. I still get paid a ******** of money in Australia.

I don’t agree with propping up industries that Australia shouldn’t be involved in anyway. But where does it end? Everyone in Victoria & NSW on the dole being supported by the WA & QLD mining industries?
There’s no reason Australia shouldn’t be a world leader in steel production, and no reason we shouldn’t have a huge automotive export industry.
What it takes is a government prepared to incentivise REAL investment and incentivise exports. Our governments (of BOTH colours) are too greedy in the short-term.
Crazy Dazz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #17
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Word is they will be looking for 250+ heads to go. The slow and steady shut down is well underway IMO.
On top of that I hear that before it all folds there is a plan to shift all hourly jobs to contract.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #18
XAGSV8
Member 178

deleted.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
XAGSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 12:12 AM   #19
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Next stop:
http://bathroomsinkonline.com/wp-con...0--300x287.jpg

The whole place is heading that way....

Ed