Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-04-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default No more brand name custom plates WA

A guy I know has an orange XR5 Focus he just sold with FOCUS XR5 plates.

Apparently licensing wont allow this sort of plate anymore for what ever reason, has anyone heard about this.

So things like MYXR8, 4DTurbo, HSV1, MYMERC etc wont be allowed.

So where does it stop and who decides, what about ZOOM ZOOM, or ECHOECHO

Is it a copyright thing or what?

Old 05-04-2012, 01:43 AM   #2
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 
Default Re: No more brand name custom plates WA

sounds ridiculous.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
bungarra

No issue with custom plates, it is only going to be rejected if it is already in use or deemed to be of an offensive or risque nature. You can even check if the plates are available at the following link:
https://online.transport.wa.gov.au/w...s/?type=custom
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

where did you hear this.. sounds crap i recon
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

it may have been the remnants of an April fools
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
Gaz
Got Ghia?

Trademark reasons...

Quote:
The Director General reserves the right to refuse any application considered or perceived to be offensive or contentious (eg anti road safety, sexual, violent, drug related, perverse, racial), trade marked (including vehicle make or model), or for any other reason. For further information refer to Driver and Vehicle Services Designer plates FAQ.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont think model names like GT... HO... XR8 are trademarked same with SS etc... otherwise just about every single car on the planet is infringing on trademarks from other makes.

And I doubt that even you had FORD or FALCON as a number plate would it be an infrignment anyways, as your not using it in advertising or as your business name etc....

A few years ago in the USA Ford had threatened to sue the makers of the Mustang car bodies... as it wasnt an offical Ford product. Totally different if you had number plates with the name Mustang (as an example) as your not using it as a business name or for advertisment etc....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
blueprinted_xr
FPV F6E FG XR8 UTE EL XR6

i was under the impression this was in effect as of july last year? From what i understand, the DPI were rejecting plates which include vehicle makes and models as too many people were buying custom plates that people would want, and selling them off at an inflated price.

Refusal of Plate Application
The Director General reserves the right to refuse any plate application.
Grounds for refusal include but are not limited to:

Have offensive, sensitive or contentious connotations (for example, sexual, violent, drug related, perverse or racial content)

Have negative political or anti law references (for example, gang related names or conflicts with road safety messages)

Be likely to incite or promote hatred including but not limited to negative religious or cult references

Be a registered name of a company or business, and the applicant is not the Director of the said company or business for which the plate is requested

Be ambiguous and plate characters not easily identifiable

Be in contravention of any State or Commonwealth Legislation (for example ANZAC, NAVY, RAN, AFC, RAAF)

Be a close resemblance of character combinations of an existing registration plate or series of plates

Any of the above in a language other than English or could be read by using a rear view mirror

Make or model of vehicle
blueprinted_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #9
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by comagutsa
where did you hear this.. sounds crap i recon
Thats what he told me. The person who bought the Focus didn't want the plates and he was explaining that you cant get them anymore, so no he's selling them seperately.
When I asked him why you cant get them anymore he just said licensing wont do brand names.
I dont know any more than that. Might ring and find out I guess.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #10
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
Thats what he told me. The person who bought the Focus didn't want the plates and he was explaining that you cant get them anymore, so no he's selling them seperately.
When I asked him why you cant get them anymore he just said licensing wont do brand names.
This just sounds like the line he's going to use to con someone into paying a lot more for them than what they're worth.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2012, 12:21 AM   #11
EF ECTIV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep heard DPI were rejecting any new plates with model names in them...

1998 EL XR8 S2, Oxford, Manual, tickford kit
Project

2013 G6ET

Stock daily

2022 Patrol TiL
Stock daily
EF ECTIV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #12
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Its true there was a crackdown a while ago. I know of many that have been rejected. A mates father inlaw even got knocked back on his plate for the SS reference (Thats what he was told anyway)

Ya mate may get a few bucks for the plates if sold to the right person

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #13
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

FG XR only got his plates about 10 months ago for his XR in perth...doesnt get any better for name branding there
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip

Last edited by comagutsa; 06-04-2012 at 06:52 PM. Reason: just checked when he got his plates
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #14
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpursuit83
Its true there was a crackdown a while ago. I know of many that have been rejected. A mates father inlaw even got knocked back on his plate for the SS reference (Thats what he was told anyway)

Ya mate may get a few bucks for the plates if sold to the right person

""SS"" isnt trademarked, nor can it be trademarked by anyone. You cant trademark initials.

So there would have to be another reason as to why it was refused.... and im betting it probably has to do with people profiteering... but i cant see how they can refuse initials....

Old 07-04-2012, 07:55 AM   #15
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
""SS"" isnt trademarked, nor can it be trademarked by anyone. You cant trademark initials.

So there would have to be another reason as to why it was refused.... and im betting it probably has to do with people profiteering... but i cant see how they can refuse initials....
Maybe they thought th SS was a reference to the nazis?
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #16
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3ts50
Maybe they thought th SS was a reference to the nazis?

My point seemingly missed by many... is that YOU CANT TRADE MARK INITIALS.

Therefore... XR8.... XB GT...... SSS..... SS..... XR6...... or any other version is not infringing on any trademark. So either these stories are "rubbish" or if people are being refused then people (yet again) are stupid and not asking WHY they are being refused.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #17
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the oppressors are oppressing.....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #18
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: No more brand name custom plates WA

Does that mean you cant have HD??? on your Harley
Im in QLD Im allowed that type of plate just cant afford it
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #19
xr gr8
Winter White Weapon

.....F VI....Xmas 2011...There's always a solution to bureaucracy
xr gr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #20
IDT
Marko

Quote:
My point seemingly missed by many... is that YOU CANT TRADE MARK INITIALS.

Therefore... XR8.... XB GT...... SSS..... SS..... XR6...... or any other version is not infringing on any trademark. So either these stories are "rubbish" or if people are being refused then people (yet again) are stupid and not asking WHY they are being refused.
Yes you can, albeit in a back door way, I tried to trademark a company logo and was refused on the basis it contained initials that were contained on an existing trademarked logo that looked nothing like that which i had put forward. I appealed and was still refused. Based on what they told me was by its design a person may consider it a reference to the said trademarked product, logo or badge (and obviously SS on your holden number plates is a reference) than issuing these for a fee would be a breach by the DPI.

Backdoor? absolutely, but still the outcome is the same. For all intentional purposes the initials are trademarked.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #21
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

What if I have a rotary and want the plate "****EL", would they allow that?
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #22
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAForce8
Yes you can, albeit in a back door way, I tried to trademark a company logo and was refused on the basis it contained initials that were contained on an existing trademarked logo that looked nothing like that which i had put forward. I appealed and was still refused. Based on what they told me was by its design a person may consider it a reference to the said trademarked product, logo or badge (and obviously SS on your holden number plates is a reference) than issuing these for a fee would be a breach by the DPI.

Backdoor? absolutely, but still the outcome is the same. For all intentional purposes the initials are trademarked.

Ok so tell me then, how many cars out there have "GT" as part of their model line up? A company logo is one thing... like the big M for macdonalds.... that is a logo.... and yes its trademarked, as a LOGO.

SS stamped on a set of plates isnt a logo... they are are set of initials.

Cars all over the world.... (as I said previously) have SS... GT... SSS etc etc etc.... because you CANT trademark initials....

Old 10-04-2012, 02:42 AM   #23
IDT
Marko

Quote:
Ok so tell me then, how many cars out there have "GT" as part of their model line up? A company logo is one thing... like the big M for macdonalds.... that is a logo.... and yes its trademarked, as a LOGO.

SS stamped on a set of plates isnt a logo... they are are set of initials.

Cars all over the world.... (as I said previously) have SS... GT... SSS etc etc etc.... because you CANT trademark initials....
Placement of the initials on their own product removes any possibility for confusion with a SS Commadore or GT Falcon etc. My logo had no similarity to the one shown as reason for refusal other than initials contained within the logo. The initials in my logo represented different words, I also had additional wording, different colour and shape. The logo I was shown that mine apparently resembled had three letters in a block font (like Arial) and nothing else, black and white, no back ground nothing. As for your reference to McDonalds. Open a restaurant and wack a giant M in a different font and colour out the front and see how long it lasts. Their Lawyers would be on you like flies on.......... or try badging your car company GM or fridge making business as GE or if it still existed your airline as TAA or you little mining company BHP. All initials and all trademarked.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #24
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Maybe a Car Manufacturer has sued the government for using thier Brand to make a profit which is exactly what the government is doing.

They prob wanted a Brand Number Plate to put on a Car and it was already taken so they sued to gain ownership of it................

I think that is fair - pay back lol

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #25
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Forget about the trademark issue...the reason the Department of Transport (DoT) wants to stop 'brand name' custom plates is to stop people trading in plates - say for instance somebody buying up every iteration of VF Commodore plate they can e.g. VF SS, VF SV6, VF Calias etc then selling them for a profit.

This is to stop people who want to buy & sell these plates putting undue pressure on people in the Licencing area - the potential for bribes is huge, and given the recent investigation into bribes for motor vehicle inspectors to pass vehicles, DoT doesn't need any more embarrassment.

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #26
Rockape
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So to stop people making money of them they just stop anyone having them? Winner idea that.

Kawasaki ZZR1100
Rockape is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2012, 11:55 PM   #27
xr gr8
Winter White Weapon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliman
Forget about the trademark issue...the reason the Department of Transport (DoT) wants to stop 'brand name' custom plates is to stop people trading in plates - say for instance somebody buying up every iteration of VF Commodore plate they can e.g. VF SS, VF SV6, VF Calias etc then selling them for a profit.

This is to stop people who want to buy & sell these plates putting undue pressure on people in the Licencing area - the potential for bribes is huge, and given the recent investigation into bribes for motor vehicle inspectors to pass vehicles, DoT doesn't need any more embarrassment.
We have a dealer here that purchased every possible combination of "coyote" "fpv" "5.0" prior to the release of the new v8 then offered or on sold the plates with sales of new vehicles. Whether or not they made a profit on these plates i cant say......But I see where your coming from!!
xr gr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 02:27 AM   #28
dawsman
FG GT 335 Owner

A WA member on here had the plates "GT 335" refused last year. Probably why they were still available.

I managed to get BOSSGT335 in WA. I guess the addition of BOSS was enough to differentiate it from the model name.

I've now ordered UGT-335 in the retro plate series white on black which can only start with "U". They haven't been approved yet, but will post back with the result.

TOY: 2011 FG GT 335 #0498, Nitro, 6sp MANUAL, 18% tint, Herrod K&N Filter, Herrod-JLT oil breather, Manta twin 3" s/s cat-back exhaust, Shockworks adjustable coilovers, R-Spec wheels (build thread)

DAILY: 2015 PXII Ranger Wildtrak, Pride Orange, 6sp auto, tech pack (pics here)

BEFORE: 2005 Mercury Silver BF XR8 ZF Auto, 20% tint, custom 2.5" cat-back exhaust, Advanti Zeta 19" wheels (found it!)
dawsman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #29
dawsman
FG GT 335 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsman
A WA member on here had the plates "GT 335" refused last year. Probably why they were still available.

I managed to get BOSSGT335 in WA. I guess the addition of BOSS was enough to differentiate it from the model name.

I've now ordered UGT-335 in the retro plate series white on black which can only start with "U". They haven't been approved yet, but will post back with the result.
Success! Picked up UGT-335 and fitted them today.

TOY: 2011 FG GT 335 #0498, Nitro, 6sp MANUAL, 18% tint, Herrod K&N Filter, Herrod-JLT oil breather, Manta twin 3" s/s cat-back exhaust, Shockworks adjustable coilovers, R-Spec wheels (build thread)

DAILY: 2015 PXII Ranger Wildtrak, Pride Orange, 6sp auto, tech pack (pics here)

BEFORE: 2005 Mercury Silver BF XR8 ZF Auto, 20% tint, custom 2.5" cat-back exhaust, Advanti Zeta 19" wheels (found it!)
dawsman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post