Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #1
topgear
The Stig

Default Handheld speed guns

Do handheld speed guns in NSW take photos?

I was driving on Pacific hwy in nsw yesterday. Road was divided and there were road works a head with left lane merging into right forming single lane. While I was about to merge into right a Subaru Outback went past me probably in 100 or may be more in 80 kmph roadworks zone. There was a cop with hand held speed gun standing beside the road.

Surprisingly the cop didn't do anything. He just watched that Subaru drive past. I thought he will jump into his car and chase that outback. As far I know, in VIC and ACT handheld speed guns won't take pictures. If cops don't book you on spot, you got away with that. Is it the same in NSW or do those handheld speed detectors take photos and later send in mail?

topgear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Handheld speed guns

no pics if you get past without being pulled over you're safe

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #3
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

If he's outside of his car, he'll generally have a mate or two down the road to pull him over and hand him a present.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

No they don't take photos, he would've noted the rego. as it went past, will get a fine in the mail later. All NSW Highway Patrol cars have Video recorders in them looking out the windscreen, the car & rego would've been recorded in the car, so they can check rego details later anyway.
Very rarely is an on the spot fine issued in NSW anymore, even if they do pull you over, they'll write the ticket out later (after they get back to the station, usually at the end of their shift & most likely on overtime), then post it out to you. Just think of all the money the NSW Government could save, just on postage alone, if the premier cracked down on that practice!!

It was most likely a lidar gun & may have been locked on you or another car, so wouldn't have picked up the Subaru as speeding anyway?
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mums hair dryer does the same trick.
Old 15-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
topgear
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
If he's outside of his car, he'll generally have a mate or two down the road to pull him over and hand him a present.
Mate your profile pic tricked me big time. I thought how on earth an insect came on to my screen and I tried to push it away thats a good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz
Mums hair dryer does the same trick.
lol..

Found this info on some forums which is interesting...

"Well I got done with the new Digicam Laser introduced to Queensland for testing till mid 2010. The officer told me they point a laser beam at your number plate and take a picture and instantly they know if you have warrants or No license or rego. A bit down the road they pulll you in and you are done."

This is in QLD though...
Old 15-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
GTBenny
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Number plate recognition as you describe above is already being used in most NSW HWY patrol vehicles utilising the cameras mounted in the car. They don't need to physically point a camera at you, you just need to drive within the view of the cameras mounted in the car.

The technology is available for image capture Laser Guns but they aren't currently being used. Unfortunately though it's only a matter of time before they can convince the RTA & Government that this is the best way to catch and fine offending drivers.

Benny.
GT 335 MKII, ZF6, Tein coilovers, YT snout, 61mm pulley, KPM 1500HP fuel system, 1000cc injectors, E85, KPM exhaust, BMC air filter, KPM Streetfighter intercooler, built tail shaft, Truetrac, 479rwkw - 950nm.
GTBenny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgear
Found this info on some forums which is interesting...

"Well I got done with the new Digicam Laser introduced to Queensland for testing till mid 2010. The officer told me they point a laser beam at your number plate and take a picture and instantly they know if you have warrants or No license or rego. A bit down the road they pulll you in and you are done."

This is in QLD though...
NSW have them too, most if not all NSW Highway Patrol cars have a similar thing mounted in them now as well, so while checking for speeding they can find out if you have warrants, unlicensed or unregistered just by driving past, they don't have to be stopped, can get you while in motion driving past going the other direction or following you.
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #9
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Sounds like a similar system they use in the UK. I actually think it's a brilliant piece of kit if used correctly. I don't believe it's used for speed enforcement though unless the QLD device is different to the ones they use in the UK. It simply checks the vehicle and the registered owner in their database for any shenanigans and sounds an alert if it hits on something.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #10
topgear
The Stig

In ACT cops have a little projected camera on the side pillar between driver door and rear passenger door. This camera can scan up to 6 cars (rego plates) in a second while driving on road and retrieves all information about the car, rego, owner, license, history, pretty much everything and displays on the screen inside the car. They detect speed too. Victoria is planning to get these toys for their coppers.
Old 15-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #11
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they are in use in vic as well

they have a unit that travels to an area and get heaps of hits using the number plate reco
they did Corio in geelong the other week and nabbed 2000+ people

they also have the sherif there to get your $$$ for unpaid fines etc

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #12
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm just shocked that they were set up in roadworks...

My favourite hobby is travelling on the highway and sticking precisely to the speeds in the roadworks...frustrates the hell out of the impatient tossers behind you...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #13
topgear
The Stig

There were more copers than the road workers.. Probably because of weekend.
Old 15-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #14
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
In ACT cops have a little projected camera on the side pillar between driver door and rear passenger door. This camera can scan up to 6 cars (rego plates) in a second while driving on road and retrieves all information about the car, rego, owner, license, history, pretty much everything and displays on the screen inside the car. They detect speed too. Victoria is planning to get these toys for their coppers.
The unit doesn't detect speed, the police have a radar unit in the car as well.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #15
Tobey
BF Ute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramania
No they don't take photos, he would've noted the rego. as it went past, will get a fine in the mail later. All NSW Highway Patrol cars have Video recorders in them looking out the windscreen, the car & rego would've been recorded in the car, so they can check rego details later anyway.
Very rarely is an on the spot fine issued in NSW anymore, even if they do pull you over, they'll write the ticket out later (after they get back to the station, usually at the end of their shift & most likely on overtime), then post it out to you. Just think of all the money the NSW Government could save, just on postage alone, if the premier cracked down on that practice!!

It was most likely a lidar gun & may have been locked on you or another car, so wouldn't have picked up the Subaru as speeding anyway?
On the flip side, the more time they spending booking people rather than writing tickets will more than pay for their overtime...
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #16
theunfairadvant

Check out aussiespeedingfines.com as you
should fight every single one of your fine
and you will WIN if you were to have the info.
theunfairadvant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #17
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One night I was driving side by side with another cAr. We were both doing 10 over the limit. Cop pointed a radar at us, then as we passed him he look at us and did nothing about it. Never heard about it so no way he took picture or details.
It was about 2330 on a public holiday. No other cars in sight
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post