Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #31
midnightXR6

Default Re: Help on getting BA Ute Parts to the States

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC GXL
Thanks mate. I didn't know that. I don't really take that much interest in the AU/BA/BF cars over here to be honest. It's just when they come up I remember them.

I wouldn't want the poor guy to buy a heap of $4it.

Thanks

Wayne

Im the opposite im always hunting for an old XB or XC on ebay
midnightXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 03:18 AM   #32
ken1939

Positive movement to report. I did get an email response from on auto recycler and one wrecker on ebay no less. Both seem positive. The Ebay guy gave some price possible guidelines. If nothing else I can get out what I am looking for from the guys who are seeing this stuff on a daily basis. Wether I get something now, or four months from now, I think things may have broken in the positive direction.

Now I can get back to my possible shippers and talk best ways. One does whole cars and parts, and one does cars only.
ken1939 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 03:56 AM   #33
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Ken, Are you a Ford-only guy? I think you will run into some compliance complications in getting your aussi body shell licensed as a vehicle in US.

The Falcon was never built as a RHD vehicle, and trying to license a non-compliant, LHD vehicle (unless it is vintage) sounds a bit difficult to me, but I don't know the US regulations for this.

I imagine if you want an Aussie 'Ute' you should look at the Pontiac G8. It was meant to be sold in the US as a ute late in 2009 as the G8 ST model, but stopped at the doorstep, or maybe a few cars made it to US. Anyway, you find the 4-door sedan Pontiac G8 sold in US. I just had a look, there are some for sale at approx $20.000. Another benefit is that the Pontiac G8 drives a lot better than an average Falcon. It has a much more advanced front and rear suspension than a Falcon.
Since GM has already done the compliance for Pontiac G8, I recon you could either import a Holden Ute to US, or if the first alternative is not possible, take an already US-licenced G8 sedan, and convert it into a ute. The Ute has sligthly longer floor pan than the sedan, but if you shipped over a stripped down Holden VE Ute shell, it should be a simple body-shop task to do a 'cut and shut' job between your US G8 front end, and the imported VE-Ute rear end. If you un-drill each side panel with A and B pillars, and un-drill the floor pan behind the front seats, then they will join together again as a 'genuine' Pontiac G8 ST 'ute', even if the model never sold in US. The VIN number sits on the firewall, and the suspension is exactly the same between Ute and Sedan. Sorry for trying to convince you to drive around in a
GM product, but it just sounds a lot more feasible than to try to get a Falcon to drive around on US licence plates. Cheers
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 04:59 AM   #34
ken1939

Nope not Ford Only. I also am a Chevy Guy. Strange combination. Well Chevy Lost me when it took 3 more years to come out with the replacement for the Cavalier. My 95 to me to 270,000 miles, original clutch and engine etc. But the Cobalt was a downer, no IRS!! So I went Focus.

I did hear of some G8's being reskinned as Holden parts etc. Its an interesting concept for sure. It has some merrit. It also sounds like something I could do, however, dropping that much on a G8 to tear it apart is not in my area of interest.

I would still have to get a new vin, at least in PA for reconstructed vehicle. Which they issue a new title as such. Similar to a salvage title in some cases.

So for the Ford end, even if I am using say the Lincoln Mark 8, I will have all the airbag suspension and rear IRS to use. Not going to go as far as cutting the firewalls and really doing a meaner facelift on the Lincoln. Structure still means something. I am leaning toward a 2005 Mustang Doner from a wrecker, I can get everthing to plug in from Modual V8 to the rear end, or use a Mustang IRS as well.

I do not think the 2005 up Ford F150 would be suitable, wheel base is right, but it may be to wide and well, to high on ground clearance even with lowering it. This way I would have a Ford Truck. Period.

Either way its a reconstructed title.
Old 28-04-2012, 06:10 AM   #35
XC GXL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a green XB Ute that pops up now and then for sale in the US.
It was last for sale a few moths ago in California.
It was on craigslist.

Wayne
XC GXL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #36
ken1939

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC GXL
There is a green XB Ute that pops up now and then for sale in the US.
It was last for sale a few moths ago in California.
It was on craigslist.

Wayne
Yes I saw that. Had contacted the owner by email, he sent some additional pictures. I think he had sold it. The last time I spoke to him about it he said someone was interested in Australia. It was a nice car but I thought it was a tad high price wise. I know these utes were built to rust, so finding nice ones is hard. I give it a 2 out of 5 stars. Nice enough, but I know for the money I could find one on Ebay AU, Justcars.com, or even Carsales.com.au even with importing costs probably save 2 to 3 grand.
Old 29-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #37
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1
Hi Ken, Are you a Ford-only guy? I think you will run into some compliance complications in getting your aussi body shell licensed as a vehicle in US.

The Falcon was never built as a RHD vehicle, and trying to license a non-compliant, LHD vehicle (unless it is vintage) sounds a bit difficult to me, but I don't know the US regulations for this.

I imagine if you want an Aussie 'Ute' you should look at the Pontiac G8. It was meant to be sold in the US as a ute late in 2009 as the G8 ST model, but stopped at the doorstep, or maybe a few cars made it to US. Anyway, you find the 4-door sedan Pontiac G8 sold in US. I just had a look, there are some for sale at approx $20.000. Another benefit is that the Pontiac G8 drives a lot better than an average Falcon. It has a much more advanced front and rear suspension than a Falcon.
Since GM has already done the compliance for Pontiac G8, I recon you could either import a Holden Ute to US, or if the first alternative is not possible, take an already US-licenced G8 sedan, and convert it into a ute. The Ute has sligthly longer floor pan than the sedan, but if you shipped over a stripped down Holden VE Ute shell, it should be a simple body-shop task to do a 'cut and shut' job between your US G8 front end, and the imported VE-Ute rear end. If you un-drill each side panel with A and B pillars, and un-drill the floor pan behind the front seats, then they will join together again as a 'genuine' Pontiac G8 ST 'ute', even if the model never sold in US. The VIN number sits on the firewall, and the suspension is exactly the same between Ute and Sedan. Sorry for trying to convince you to drive around in a
GM product, but it just sounds a lot more feasible than to try to get a Falcon to drive around on US licence plates. Cheers
I was going to suggest this earlier, You could get a VE SS ute and do a LHD conversion using G8 parts. They ran a 6lt LS2 V8 and don't look to bad. Parts would be easier to get over there too.

Cheers

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #38
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaEB
I was going to suggest this earlier, You could get a VE SS ute and do a LHD conversion using G8 parts. They ran a 6lt LS2 V8 and don't look to bad. Parts would be easier to get over there too.

Cheers
Or he can save all the crap and get a Silverado or F250.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #39
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon you'd be best to buy a complete car, sell the engine and box, then ship it in pieces and then just put it back together.

This would prevent you having to get all the bits and pieces you've overlooked.

If you had someone to help you here it would be easy.

This is the most common website for aussies selling their cars to give you an idea on price:

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/....5&sort=~Price
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #40
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Buy BA ute, minus engine + drivetrain

Insert Ecoboost V6 into empty engine bay.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2012, 12:24 AM   #41
ken1939

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Or he can save all the crap and get a Silverado or F250.
Its not the same, I mean I could buy older Rancheros and El Caminos too, but its really not the authentic Ute.
Old 30-04-2012, 12:29 AM   #42
ken1939

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Buy BA ute, minus engine + drivetrain

Insert Ecoboost V6 into empty engine bay.
Going Modular all the way. Been talking with my local wrecker about getting a toasted Shelby Cobra for the drivetrain. Not sure I want to spend the money on the SuperCharged version, but that Roush Coyote Engine is reasonable compared to some drop outs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2004-Fo...4fa164&vxp=mtr

This one combines it all
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FACTORY-FIVE...4a4e27&vxp=mtr

Coyote
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-RACING-...9cd29c&vxp=mtr
Old 30-04-2012, 12:31 AM   #43
ken1939

[quote=shonkymofo]I reckon you'd be best to buy a complete car, sell the engine and box, then ship it in pieces and then just put it back together.

This would prevent you having to get all the bits and pieces you've overlooked.

If you had someone to help you here it would be easy.

This is the most common website for aussies selling their cars to give you an idea on price:

I have been on Pickle, and have someone who will mabey work with me on purchase and teardown, I have two wreckers I am in communication with and I will contact another today. Carsales, Justcars are probably the two best next to Ebay AU.
Old 30-04-2012, 12:34 AM   #44
ken1939

[quote=GhiaEB]I was going to suggest this earlier, You could get a VE SS ute and do a LHD conversion using G8 parts. They ran a 6lt LS2 V8 and don't look to bad. Parts would be easier to get over there too.

I have read a few post on various sites that are doing G8 Conversions. Is there one definitive site on this that you know of? I heard of people reskinning the front ends on G8s with the Holden noses, but it would be interesting to know more about the specs of both vehicles. Right now that would be more fabrication than I planned to get into.

If that were the case I would buy a 74 to 79 Ute and redo it.

Its a looker, thats for sure.
Old 30-04-2012, 07:55 AM   #45
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In which case consider xa-xf falcons.... 71-88 would give you plenty of room to buy and import a functioning car and install a mod motor
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #46
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still think your stripped down BF has merit. certainly if you are looking for something unique. there can't be many BF Falcons in the states.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:07 AM   #47
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1939
I have read a few post on various sites that are doing G8 Conversions. Is there one definitive site on this that you know of? I heard of people reskinning the front ends on G8s with the Holden noses, but it would be interesting to know more about the specs of both vehicles. Right now that would be more fabrication than I planned to get into.
I don't understand how you think getting a VE ute converted to LHD with some available Pontiac G8 parts can be 'more fabrication than I planned'. Clearly these are identical vehicles, and the spec in both countries are the GM LS2 / L98 / LS3 engine, with 6.0 or 6.2 litre. The spec is virtually exactly the same, except for badging, and a slightly different bonnet and front bumper, and the fact one has the LHD interior, the other has the RHD interior. They are exactly the same body shell, with a different firewall to fit the steering column and pedals on the designated side. At least these are fully identical vehicles made at the same factory, and all the parts will fit once you have the correct firewall spot welded into your body shell.

With the Falcon RHD to LHD I imagine you will run into quite a bit of fabrication. First you need to strip out dash and everything on the firewall, then you have to fabricate everything to be in the right position, for example Mustang dash. Probably none of this will fit. Also for the engine, you say modular, but most likely engine mounts, sump, hoses and tubes needs fabrication. New LHD steering rack needs fabrication of mounts etc. Then you need to get all the electronics working, which would be difficult unless you leave the BA/BF computer there, and use CANbus to all the other modules. If you fit a different PCM for a different engine, it would be the biggest nightmare to make it work with the instrument cluster, the ABS, the HVAC, the radio, etc. Honestly I can't see how that is feasible either.
Good luck with your project, and don't forget to make a realistic budget before you go ahead. (where you at least double the hours and effort it would take, to make it realistic) Cheers
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2012, 03:37 AM   #48
ken1939

Well the plan for the Ford Ute is to not use any part of the original wire harness. The doner car, be it a Ford Mustang, or a Lincoln Mark 8, (or even a Crown Vic) will be used to donate not only the drivetrain, but the factory wire harness as well. This will also ensure that the factory emissions controls will be used along with the factory fuel system, pumps, radiator, (air bag suspension in the case of the Lincoln) seats etc. As well as the speedometer, reusing the doner cars gauges. I want the factory dash board left in the car so I can fabricate something based on either of my doner cars and the existing dash. I have not had the chance to look at the engine cradle on the Ford, but I would suspect its not very different from a domestic Ford product. I am not under the impression that everything will be plug and play. I am expecting for there to be some barriers to making this work, but not nearly as large as the barrier I have in getting the parts here.

I will be able to use the doner cars braking system, and ac/heat system.

Reworking the firewall for the LHD will be easier than cutting a firewall out of another car. This is small work to me. The only reason I have not ruled out the Crown Vic yet is I havent had the chance to properly measure any of these cars vs the Ford Ute.

The Pontiac to me is more work as I do not have access to a frame table to set the car up on proper before I start busting factory spot welds. Keeping that thing straight, especially if I am changing the floor pan, to me is more work than scratch building a chassis or repurposing one from another car. The cab of the Ute will not be dismembered, accept for the two places on the firewall for the heater core and for the steering column/master cylinder mount. Worst case, the strut towers being altered.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:45 AM   #49
ken1939

Interesting points to consider, and I am glad you have added to this thread. Thats one reason I am on this forum, it has people on board that have practical knowlege and suggestions. Not the usualy "DUH" caveman stuff.

Its like me sitting down to design a show car I want to build, even though I am not a showcar guy. I want to take the sheet metal from say a 05-08 mustang, and build something based on a 34 Ford roadster chassis. Not exactly the Plymouth Prowler, but something along the lines of a Roadster, or a Roadster Pickup. Already did a 32 Ute, so I do not want to revisit that, but the idea of, what would a Cobra Mustang look like as a 32 Roadster?

I cant draw the pictures to show you, but in my head I see it. Once I get panels in front of me I can start fabrication.

This is similar to me explaining how I see the Ford Ute being reborn with US Ford DNA. One day I will learn how to draw!
Old 01-05-2012, 04:22 AM   #50
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsty
Probably your best bet is it buy a complete car, even a high km one, rip the driveline out and bring it over. Whats your budget? Going through the wreckers would be very expensive.
That sounds like a good idea...it's not like a Ford V8 and box to fit it would be hard to find in the USA...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2012, 01:32 AM   #51
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

i just found this story on a US willys jeep site. thought it might help you.

Importing "Parts"
In 2002, Terry Sizemore had this suggestion for an approach that might work for importing a newer vehicle:

"I'm a design engineer (on 4x4/driveline systems) in Detroit. In my career I have worked with many of the FMVSS requirements, which are the main loopholes for importing vehicles into the US. Several people in the USA are selling the new Mexican VW Beetles. I tracked down a few and had some discussions with them (because of my desire to import a Mahindra Jeep).

"FMVSS requires all automobile manufactures that intend on selling vehicles in the USA to completely comply with all the FMVSS requirements, if that manufacturer manufactures over 100 vehicles per year, which Mahindra does. But you can import parts and sub-assemblies to the USA. GM and Ford do it every day.

"Many VW Beetle fans that want the new-old style Beetle that is still being manufactured for Mexico, import the car without the wheels, steering wheel and seats. They import it as a single part. Assembly is finished here in the USA and they title the car with a name like "2002 Grasshopper" and they sell less than 100 units per year. Other VW importers take the VIN Plate (from a clear titled old VW), steering wheel and hubcaps to Mexico, put the few old parts on a new VW and claim they had their old VW restored and that most of the parts on the vehicle were replaced while they were there. I have always wondered about doing that with Mahindra Jeeps.

"I have not tried any of these options yet."

http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3B/Worl...draImport.html
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2012, 02:12 AM   #52
ken1939

Thats an interesting angle. The thing is they sold Bugs here in the states, so they did have a history of being sold in this country, and in some respects all the proper paperwork was filed via VW with the US Government.

The importing of "assembled unit" is interesting. I am trying to get proper verification from an Importer here on this wording of the law. I.E. What are parts, what is considered a whole car etc. Nothing so far. Most importers I find are importing Veggies.

I would rather re-skin a current US Car with the Falcon Sheetmetal than get involved on "using existing vin tags" Lots of frowns on that one for sure, not interested in a federal rap.

I appreciate the help in looking and finding this story/article. Folks are trying hard for me thats for certain!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #53
madwag
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It could be the dumbest suggestion made, but could you ask Ford America or Ford Australia to ship one over for you?

The Daily's Build.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11349360

Weekender: '69 VW Notchback
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...24#post4531824
madwag is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #54
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwag
It could be the dumbest suggestion made, but could you ask Ford America or Ford Australia to ship one over for you?
It might work if you were a billionaire Sheik or Jay Leno, but i doubt they'd help Joe Average or Ken.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #55
ken1939

Yes, I think its safe to say I am out here on my own, well accept for the help of people on this forum, which is appreciated.

This is one reason big government is no good to anyone.