Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Default New Car Build Time

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to build a new ford, I think they all (utes,falcons,territorys) come down the same assembly line, but can't find out how long the process is,
from when the body gets to the assembly line.

The only reason I want to know is I ordered a territory titanium 10 days ago, my dealer said it was 2 days into its build, it'll be here within a fortnight -sweet thinks me, should have it in time for a trip away-NOT. Now he's telling me its getting painted! WTF?, from what I understand the body would have been painted days before it even saw the assembly line, so how could it have been 2 days into its build 10 days ago?

Could anyone enlighten me on the build process?

Thanks.

UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New Car Build Time

your Territory will go in the following order:

Sch for build, allocated a body, metal finish, in paint, out of paint, paint under storage, trim line, high line, final production, ship to dealer. In a nut shell that is.

Thats just the start, many things happen in plant, out of plant to slow down a build, a major parts supplier gets shut out of their building, etc

Did you want something unusal, chashmere trim? remove 7 seats? Weird combos take time as well. This is the life of stock control!
barra240t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

The only thing I have a gripe about is being fibbed to, I was told 10 days and sold my car, we arranged for the purchaser to pick it up this weekend, and today I was told it would be another 10, living in the country without a car can be a pain at times, like the 8k walk to work, as for your customer survey rant what are you trying to say?

I waited 6 months for my PX Ranger without complaint because I was told from the start what was going on, my dealer who must really hate me for buying 9 new cars from him (10th in 10 days or so) told me from the start there would be a long wait so wait I did. I'm just peeved that my wife has to walk the kids to school and 8ks to work.

Back to original thread,
barra240t thanks for the explanation.
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt

Last edited by GT; 25-05-2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Removal od references to above removed post that was way out of line.
Old 24-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

If your such a valued customer why dont you ask your dealer to lend you a car. its not the dealers fault that Ford themselves dont know the situation with cars the majority of the time.

try telling a full paying FPV customer there car is delayed by 9 weeks because Ford stuffed up. It happens nobody and nothing is perfect. I have lent vehicles to people waiting from 1 week to 16 weeks for vehicles and guess what, they are over the moon and it eleviates the need to jump on a forum and rant about it.

Ring your salesman up tommorow and kindly explain the situation to him, educate him that you have bought 10 cars from them and i bet you if they value the customer (like i value mine) they will give you a vehicle whether it be a demo or a second hand car to get your wife and kids around.
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Mate I think you need to see the doctors.

Might want to get that stick surgically removed.
I guess a few more weeks wait is better than 6 month wait trying to get something out of Ford Europe.

Last edited by GT; 25-05-2012 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Removal of offensive post quoted.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Going through paint is the bottleneck at the plant because they have to give enough time for the paint to cure properly and they can only shove a certain number of cars in there at any one time.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #7
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Which dealership are you a salesperson at Yift? I just want to make it clear which one to avoid.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

should be upselling burger meals not Henry's finest
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet

Thanks.
can't get any more polite than that I don't think

bad day at work yift?

not selling many cars?

can't imagine why
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #10
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet
Can anyone tell me how long it takes to build a new ford, I think they all (utes,falcons,territorys) come down the same assembly line, but can't find out how long the process is,
from when the body gets to the assembly line.

The only reason I want to know is I ordered a territory titanium 10 days ago, my dealer said it was 2 days into its build, it'll be here within a fortnight -sweet thinks me, should have it in time for a trip away-NOT. Now he's telling me its getting painted! WTF?, from what I understand the body would have been painted days before it even saw the assembly line, so how could it have been 2 days into its build 10 days ago?

Thanks.
From my experience it takes 5 to 6 weeks for it to be built to your specs, so it seems they have found a car to your specs already planned for build, which therefore takes a few weeks off the usual waiting time.

The body has to be built first, then it goes through paint which can have the delay as mentioned. Then the assembly where evrything is added to the painted body. Delivery to the dealer may be a week or two after that.

From experience its well worth the wait in the end, you get a fresh car from the factory rather than one that has been sitting around for a while.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #11
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wait will be worth it.. hit em up for freebie floormats or something..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #12
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Let's be clear on one thing. To actually build the car (excluding the aforementioned paint shop bottleneck) you're looking at about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. But programming all the parts needed for that build and then getting the car to you takes the time.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #13
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Yift... his dealership told him it would take a fortnight from build to delivery. He hasn't named and shamed the dealer, he just came here looking for information on the build process. Take it down a few notches.

As others have said, it will be a lot longer than 2 weeks if they are building it from scratch! Unless they can find one in stock somewhere?
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #14
MrsLow006

once again Ford Forums has done it again......asked for advice or info and get shot down in flames....

XB - ENVY

XB WAGON - Dark Angel

Last edited by GT; 25-05-2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Not needed as that is what Mods are for. Use the report button next time as we are on your side with this sort of thing.
MrsLow006 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #15
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLow006
once again Ford Forums has done it again......asked for advice or info and get shot down in flames....
While I'm hearing your pain it is not the Ford Forums but another individual that needs to perhaps rethink his/her attitude. The AFF is made up of all sorts from all walks of life and some people have bad days etc. Has been dealt with and back on track.

Folks, always use the Report Post Button so we can deal with this sort of thing fairly and swiftly so threads don't go pear shaped and end getting closed as it is a good topic and many have learned something from it being here.

Gaela

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #16
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

I just don't trust the time estimations given to me by anyone. Like a lot of other 'projects' I work on, unless I have a contingency due to product supply then I don't feel safe. Selling the old car before getting a new one means you're vulnerable to whims of anyone in the supply chain. Sometimes the dealer gives you the estimate he/she has been given. Sometimes based on previous deliveries. Sometimes gives you optimist times to win the sale.

But the contingency point is the main one. My wife is terrible at it. She throws out something old but useable on the premise she's going to by a new one that day - then can't find a new on in stock or has to wait a week because it has to be ordered in - and in the meantime she has to do without the 'something' she was using every day because she didn't plan it well enough to have a contingency.

Anyway, good luck. And if your missus gets all trim and hardbody because of the extra walking, then hey, it's not a bad world after all!

Lukeyson
Old 25-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #17
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Thumbs up Re: New Car Build Time

Thanks for the info guys, my territory is a stock order, Titanium in smoke with shadow interior, so with the info I've gotten from here (build time is much quicker than I would have thought)
I would guess the car is not far away at all.

Definitely looking forward to the terri, we had one a few years ago and decided we'd get back into a sedan (FG G6e) which was a great car. But now with the kids bikes and footy bags etc, a bit more room will be much appreciated along with the occasional 7 seat capability.
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt

Last edited by RANGEREST; 25-05-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 25-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #18
redman

Good news first; I took delivery of my FG II G6E EcoLPI yesterday. I have already done around 140km in it and it is fantastic. I would need a thesaurus full of superlatives to begin to describe this creation from the good Ford folk at Broady & Geelong.

The not so good news is that I started the order process in December. The actual order was not signed off by all parties until late January early February and then there were various problems and issues (various supplier issues / lockouts etc). I was getting quite down about the whole thing. All this talk of low sales volumes for EcoLPI and here I was trying to get mine.

All of that has been blown away by the actual experience behind the wheel. I was fortunate in that I was able to temporarily (for 7 months!) extend the G6 Egas lease until the new chariot was delivered (with floor mats!).

I feel for the OP, but I do suggest talking to your dealer and see if some arrangement may be made.
redman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post