Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Default Facebook birthday reminders & dead friends

Wouldn't really be appropriate to say this on Facebook(too many mutuals), but here not so.

My uncle has been dead now a few years, And his birthday reminder popped up this morning on Facebook on his still active profile.

Anyone else get weirded out by this..? Feel uncomfortable by it..?

Sure I could unfriend him, but yeah...

AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
LTDHO
The one and only

Default Re: Facebook birthday reminders & dead friends

Why feel uncomfortable?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
glavas

Why is it wired? Im sure its generated by a computer that stores the dates of birthdays. You say his dead a few years now so im sure this has happend before than? Whats wired is that your freaked out by internet.
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
outside
off in outer space

im a admin on a speedway forum and one of the members emailed me saying that she got an email via the forum for her husband who had passed away birthday, she understood that it was an auto thing but did upset her all the same. i ended up deleting his account
R.I.P Bill
Old 03-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

You can ask Facebook to 'memorialize' their profile.
http://www.facebook.com/help/?page=185698814812082

Quote:
When a user passes away, we memorialize their account to protect their privacy. Memorializing an account sets the account privacy so that only confirmed friends can see the profile (timeline) or locate it in search. Friends and family can leave posts in remembrance. Memorializing an account also prevents anyone from logging into the account.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still "celebrate" my parents birthdays although they have been gone many years

I silently toast them......my memories are very warm and precious to me

I would be happy to have a reminder pop up in case I forget one day.......I would never "unfriend" them

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same as above, I have un friended some dead friends and I tell ya it feels really odd

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
buggo
[BU66OS]

I'm only 20 so not a common thing for me yet.
But I have had one friend who has passed away. He was beaten by his cancer last year, two weeks after his 21st. (A great night)
People still occasional post on his wall saying he is missed, and his birthday this year attracted the usual happy birthday post like any other friend.
I think it's a great thing. While in reality he is not here, he still exist via facebook. His pictures, old post, all memories are still there and with this he will never be forgotten. And a quick, tangible 'Hey man' is never out of reach.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
Why is it wired? Im sure its generated by a computer that stores the dates of birthdays. You say his dead a few years now so im sure this has happend before than? Whats wired is that your freaked out by internet.
I wouldn't go as far as saying im freaked out by it, having been round it almost 20years and I've seen it develop greatly over that time, not about to start worrying about it now, LOL

I've got about 5 people a on there now that have passed, so Its a regular reminder of Hey its such n such's birthday. Sure you can write on their wall and send your regards. The only people who will see it is the persons family & friends, it seems almost empty because you cant have a drink or a meal with them, maybe I'm a little old fashion in that sense.

I guess it comes back to the old saying, what's taboo for one, isn't for others.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #10
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Lost a mate 6 years ago(he was 17) and we still post to celebrate his birthday, which also happens to be Christmas day. Not a nice day for his parents let me tell you :(
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #11
5tumpy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My wife's best friend was murdered by her scumbag ex last year, and while it doesn't freak me out, it was definitely weird when her birthday came up and everyone was wishing her a happy birthday like she was still with us...

The only think with it that freaked me out was just after the funeral, one of her friends actually not only added pictures of her casket being lowered into the ground, but tagged her in the photo... The worst part of it was that it was literally like 2 hours after the funeral, so it was a very, very fresh wound...
5tumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #12
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tumpy

The only think with it that freaked me out was just after the funeral, one of her friends actually not only added pictures of her casket being lowered into the ground, but tagged her in the photo... The worst part of it was that it was literally like 2 hours after the funeral, so it was a very, very fresh wound...
That's messed up. Doesn't this person know what tact is? I hate people.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #13
HLC
Audi S3

And FWIW when going thru my LinkedIn network, I see my Grandfather's profile to connect to. Every time I see it, I want to click connect, but as he passed away late last year.... You get the drift :(
Old 11-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #14
FLYXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC
Wouldn't really be appropriate to say this on Facebook(too many mutuals), but here not so.

My uncle has been dead now a few years, And his birthday reminder popped up this morning on Facebook on his still active profile.

Anyone else get weirded out by this..? Feel uncomfortable by it..?

Sure I could unfriend him, but yeah...
We need to remember the ones we have lost. I don't have any on fb but I think I would like it..Thay are still in ya Hart and mind. It's just a reminder
Bf xr8 yellow 6speed auto.
MODS
Sports exhaust
Mods coming
Shaker scoop,cams,full twin pipe exhaust set up,rims,and more.
FLYXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #15
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC
Anyone else get weirded out by this..? Feel uncomfortable by it
Mate I think it is a wonderful thing to happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
I still "celebrate" my parents birthdays although they have been gone many years

I silently toast them......my memories are very warm and precious to me

I would be happy to have a reminder pop up in case I forget one day.......I would never "unfriend" them
Here here - unfortunately Dad died on my wedding anniversary but I am glad because I held his hand and it's not a day I will forget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo
I'm only 20 so not a common thing for me yet.
But I have had one friend who has passed away. He was beaten by his cancer last year, two weeks after his 21st. (A great night)
People still occasional post on his wall saying he is missed, and his birthday this year attracted the usual happy birthday post like any other friend.
I think it's a great thing. While in reality he is not here, he still exist via facebook. His pictures, old post, all memories are still there and with this he will never be forgotten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaza
We need to remember the ones we have lost. I don't have any on fb but I think I would like it..Thay are still in ya Hart and mind. It's just a reminder
While at least one person still remembers them they may be dead physically but on all other levels they live on in our hearts and minds

I've been lucky enough to find two soul mates - unfortunately both at the same time. Married one, the other was my best friend. She died on the Winter solstice - shortest day of the year, how appropriate.

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #16
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if it's one thing I REALLY hate about getting older,......apart from teeth falling out, hair going grey, "things" not working like they used to, eyesight failing, kids getting stupider, days getting too long to make in one go in between naps, body parts needing replacing, joints stiffening to the point of not working as well as loss of concentration!

now what was I talking about?????......oh thats right getting older "the nasty bits"

well what hurts the most is friends and family passing.......I've been to so many funerals this year alone I'm getting xmas cards from the curator and the pallbearers .....I've seen the undertaker visually measuring me up

I have photos to keep the memories alive.....I've kept tapes from my answering machine just to hear there voices but it's not the same

i would love to have some scribblings on their daily life just "pop up" now and again so I never forget

personally I would treasure the little memory if a reminder came in to prod the old grey matter and trigger some really great thoughts of that person

celebrate the existence of some great souls and never forget them.......that way those that pass before us will live forever

now I got a headache from thinking too much and my knees are seizing from sitting too long.......where's me bex!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #17
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
My wife's best friend was murdered by her scumbag ex last year, and while it doesn't freak me out, it was definitely weird when her birthday came up and everyone was wishing her a happy birthday like she was still with us...

Who would do that???? more scary than wierd.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 08:35 AM   #18
RepSpec
Formerly XG-Panelvanman

a guy in my year level at school died a few years ago in a car accident and i only found out through fb. i had to remove/block him because his gf would constantly post updates on it and it was pretty hard to read after a while about how much she missed him ect.
i get what the op is saying, but try to turn it into a happy reminder as everyone has said

BA MK2 Wagon, dedicated LPG, white.

modifications:
cargo barriers, tow bar
RepSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #19
gtfpv
GT

very rude on behalf of your uncle , he couldve atleast informed facebook he died.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2012, 01:31 AM   #20
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
very rude on behalf of your uncle , he couldve atleast informed facebook he died.
Tell that to the other three, lol
Old 14-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #21
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

That is ridiculous.
Some people have no idea.
facebook is changing the way people act and interact. For the worse.

The morning 'news' program last week tells me i am a potential psychopath because I refuse to create a facebook account. Apparently I have secrets and personal stuff to hide and therefore others should be suspicious.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #22
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8
That is ridiculous.
Some people have no idea.
facebook is changing the way people act and interact. For the worse.

The morning 'news' program last week tells me i am a potential psychopath because I refuse to create a facebook account. Apparently I have secrets and personal stuff to hide and therefore others should be suspicious.
Call me old fashioned, but....

I believe I am in the minority of normal people who do not use facebook as a way of 'fake' communicating with people. Rather, I prefer to pick up a phone and call people I care about and ask them how they feel as it's far more personal, and provide more sincere meaning rather than giving them a electronic 'poke' or 'like' on their bloody profile.

As for reminders of loved ones who have left us. A reminder on your phone is enough to give a moments silence, and a call to any closer related family members to offer words of support as you remember them for the good they did. But if you must use FB, keeping their profile current as 'friend' is probably another way to remember them.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #23
creative
I am Batman

I have 2 friends that have passed on fb.

First was a very good friend of mine, who i made alot of time for and was there when she needed me went quiet but i had a bad feeling. Her sister posted on her fb that she had taken her own life. Her friends have been very good in respect to posting on her profile and is only done on her birthday and the day she passed. Its a nice reminder and i think i would miss it if her account was deleted.

The other is very recently ( 2 weeks ago) and he passed from cancer.

Its always nice to remember them and every now and again i will browse the photos just to help the old memory!
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post