Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
Caprobbo
Fordluva

Unhappy AU Headlights

Hi all, doing a XR8 ute transplant into a MK3 capri.The problem is when turning on the high beams (quad headlights) the low beams go off, only giving me the highs,but when I pull back on the high beam stalk to flash high beam I get all four.I can hear the high beam relay come on and the low beam relay go off when pushing the stalk down to the high beam position.Have two wires that are spare,green with orange stripe and have power to them on high beam and flash mode.If i put them to dead low beams i get all four but then this causes the high beams to stay on when I switch back to low beam-being back fed by the low beam current?.I cant work out why the low beam relay clicks off when switching to hi beam-earth problem maybe?.Got me stuffed after all the wiring integrating from the falcon to the Capri this seemingly simple problem has got me stumped.

Caprobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
T3man
Banned

Default Re: AU Headlights

Righto found it now.

The green/orange is your high beam positive feed and should have power only when in "flash" or "high" position. On the multiplug at the back of your lights it should be on the side of the plug. Earth (black) is the opposite side. Then on your low beams (H4s) there is the third cable on the multiplug top terminal (red/black) for low beam.

When circuit testing ... switching from low to high causes the lows to go off and highs to come on, BUT, when you "flash", the lows stay on and high comes on as well. If your system is not working like this then I suspect a problem with the Capri stalk not switching in the same manner as the Falcon one. Which stalk are you actually using?
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
Caprobbo
Fordluva

Yea thats whats happening - low beam just the outer lights which on the Capri are single filament with a separate small parker bulb.I noticed yesterday that the 2 inners have 2 filaments which could be a pommy spec.I'm using the falcon column with all its Xr8 switch gear.So are you saying that your lows go off when you got to constant low beam? or does the XR8 have double filaments in the low and singles in the high and the low beam filament goes off as the high filament comes on in the outers as well as the inner high beam lights come on?.Unfortunately the front and all lights were smashed when i bought the wreck.Also I have 4 green/orange that behave as you decscribed.So maybe I need to have double filaments in the lows and singles in the highs because the system is actually working as it should but the headlight arrangement is not correct.
Old 26-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
Caprobbo
Fordluva

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
Righto found it now.

The green/orange is your high beam positive feed and should have power only when in "flash" or "high" position. On the multiplug at the back of your lights it should be on the side of the plug. Earth (black) is the opposite side. Then on your low beams (H4s) there is the third cable on the multiplug top terminal (red/black) for low beam.

When circuit testing ... switching from low to high causes the lows to go off and highs to come on, BUT, when you "flash", the lows stay on and high comes on as well. If your system is not working like this then I suspect a problem with the Capri stalk not switching in the same manner as the Falcon one. Which stalk are you actually using?

Re: AU Headlights

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yea thats whats happening - low beam just the outer lights which on the Capri are single filament with a separate small parker bulb.I noticed yesterday that the 2 inners have 2 filaments which could be a pommy spec.I'm using the falcon column with all its Xr8 switch gear.So are you saying that your lows go off when you got to constant high beam? or does the XR8 have double filaments in the low and singles in the high and the low beam filament goes off as the high filament comes on in the outers as well as the inner high beam lights come on?.Unfortunately the front and all lights were smashed when i bought the wreck.Also I have 4 green/orange that behave as you decscribed.So maybe I need to have double filaments in the lows and singles in the highs because the system is actually working as it should but the headlight arrangement is not correct.
Old 26-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
Caprobbo
Fordluva

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
Righto found it now.

One other test if you have long arms or somone to push the stalk down is if you put your finger on the low beam relay as you push the stalk down (with the headlights on) to constsant high beam can you feel the low beam relay click off as the high beam one clicks on?.
Old 26-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
T3man
Banned

Falcon outers are dual filament (H4 globes) - inners are driving lights that come on in conjunction with your high beam. If you are using the Falcon stalk you will have no issues - but you have to reverse your light arrangement that the Capri apparently had. Once you locate the correct colour wires that I posted and connect them to their respective outer/inner lights everything will work fine.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
Caprobbo
Fordluva

Thanks for your input mate,I finally found how to get around it using the existing Capri headlight arrangement.I found that when I pushed the high beam stalk down to constant high beam, if you pulled it back ever so slightly the lows would come back on as I wanted.So I pulled the stalk apart and modified the amount of downward movement and whola fixed!.Mcguyver would be proud.Regards Caprobbo.