Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
hainesy05
Starter Motor

Default power window switch melted

wife picked me up from work, came running in saying car is catching on fire.
pulled switch unit from drivers door fire out.

turns out passenger side switch was stuck in down pos. subsequently melting switch and stuffed the circuit board around that pin, both front windows down, managed to get drivers side window up but not passenger side.

is it possible to bridge the circuit on passenger door where switch is connected to raise glass( if so what colour wire is for up) or is there another way. looking around for main switch as its stuffed

cheers Rob

hainesy05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
hainesy05
Starter Motor

Default Re: power window switch melted

ok, just had another look , unhooked the plug from regulator put live wire to the pins thinking this should give me up with the window , nothin.

am i missing something or has the reg burnt out as well.
no wiring was melted from the short on either side of car still getting power where i should,is there another way to raise window

looks like a bugger of a job to replace regulator, any tips on that 1

cheers
Old 29-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

Hi Rob,
It is likely there is no power in the wire as the window switch controls the direction of the power feed. Also you need to provide ground to the other pin on the regulator. Not sure if you did or not - just going off your post. To change the direction of the regulator, polarity needs to be reversed, so just swap the power and ground wires over.

In the case of a fried switch, you can either jump a wire directly from the battery and use a body ground. The other easy alternative is the mobile phone connector near the BCM, provided it is not already in use. There are 2 power feeds on this connector when the ignition is in the accesories position.

With the regulator I usually cut the cable to get the window in the most user friendly position. There are 3x10mm bolts from memory and 2 clips that you can release with a small flat blade screw driver.

Let us know how you go.
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
hainesy05
Starter Motor

thanx m8 in a bit of a bind really, live a long way from anywhere

no i didn't put an earth to other pin, have located secondhand switch assembly and reg pick up tomorrow

so to be sure i must earth 1 pin whilst power up other? this is the two wires coming directly from window reg. will have a crack b4 i go get parts
BCM no idea what that is but guessing it's the spare plug i see floating in there.

rob
Old 29-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
BHDOGS
Banned

For positive negative would the white plug from the Front door lights that is in most aus works?
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #6
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hainesy05
no i didn't put an earth to other pin, have located secondhand switch assembly and reg pick up tomorrow

so to be sure i must earth 1 pin whilst power up other? this is the two wires coming directly from window reg. will have a crack b4 i go get parts
BCM no idea what that is but guessing it's the spare plug i see floating in there.

rob
Yes, a circuit must have both power and ground to operate. Just run a jumper to an unpainted bolt on the door hinge or the edge of the cigarette lighter plug. Basically anything metal that is not insulated.

I am thinking you need to get the window back up to drive to pick up another window switch?

I just thought I would suggest jumping power from another connector to save you cutting up wires in the door assembly. The BCM is the control module near your left knee if you were sitting in the drivers seat, behind the plastic moudling. If you look here you will see a plug for the mobile office. Two of these pins have power.

Alternatively, you can open the fuse panel inside the car near your right knee if you were sitting in the drivers seat. The back of the fuses have a small metal contact on each side of the fuse. There will be battery voltage available here if the ignition is set to the accessories position. This is fiddly cause of the small contact patch on the fuses.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Just a note: Careful with jumping power - do not touch body ground with live power or you'll blow something. Only 12v, so not life and death, but could get messy if it blows something other than a fuse.

Last edited by Evgeni; 29-08-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 29-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
For positive negative would the white plug from the Front door lights that is in most aus works?
Would definitely work. Mine is a futura though and I dont have any lights on the door. If one is there, would be most convenient.
Old 29-08-2012, 11:57 PM   #8
BHDOGS
Banned

Neither does my fairmont or xr6 but they both have the white plug for the front door lights on the wiring harness I thought it was a standard part of the ford wiring need to take the door from off to see It tho
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #9
hainesy05
Starter Motor

thanks fella's hooked up an earth and up she wen't, (i actually thought regulator would have been earthed to the door)
still smiling didn't want to touch that reg. so off to buy a switch.

cheers rob