Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-07-2012, 12:40 AM   #1
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 
Default AU Fairlane not running on LPG.

Before I get the usual questions (try it on petrol and see if it runs etc), it's on straight LPG.

Ok, so the Fairlame decided to live up to it's name and start backfiring a few weeks back. Then a few hours later tried to start it, it fired but was running rough as guts, and then backfired blowing the upper air box, and piping nearly 5m away from the car....

I've checked the spark, i've checked the coil packs for any damaged wiring/cracks, i've checked the harmonic balancer, i've checked for +12v at the lock offs using the same ground as the lock off (to confirm it's working as normal)...

What else could cause it? and anyone know how a straight LPG car with the injectors still in the car connected, but the fuel tank removed could have the injectors disabled? I'm thinking of getting it running on petrol and leaving it like that for a while, then looking into fixing the LPG setup... (if I cbf'ed. which, knowing me and how long it's taken to put roof lining into my wagon, I'll probably just rip it out)

Apologies for the long~ish post. Just want the *** thing running before my wagon chews through another driveshaft....

oh, it's an impco 425 convertor/mixer setup, running a Peel computer.

Last edited by XRGhia; 21-07-2012 at 01:05 AM.
XRGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2012, 03:46 AM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 
Default Re: AU Fairlane not running on LPG.

stuffed PCV Valve is another cheap thing to check on these things.
Can can be a cause of rough running ... enough to cause a pop as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Checked, replaced and still no change.
Old 21-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

When mine started doing it, I had a small crack in the inlet manifold gasket.
Might pay to check that too.
Any more backfiring and it will just end up blowing out the crack anyway.
Also, leads, plugs, coil pack, air filter and it should be fine.

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

So, it's leaking LPG from the service line. Went out this morning to a fair decent smell of LPG coming from under the Fairlane... Turned the service tap off anyway...

Guess it's a fault in the LPG system... Anyone got a spare petrol tank, looms, lines and stuff...?
Old 27-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Well, it's 100% the LPG system. Went out this morning to a heavy smell of LPG (the tank tap is off too btw) inside the car...
Old 03-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #7
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Copy/paste from my thread below. Quick run down, it's running on petrol now.

Hopefully I'll get the issues sorted ASAP. I know I've got a knocking noise from the exhaust, which will be fixed with my 2.5" catback (dumped at the diff no doubt), but I'm unsure of what the grinding/rubbing noise is. Gets worse with more speed...

Here's a quick clip of whats going on. Has a massive miss until 4000rpm, then after that it takes off like a rocket... (well, not literally, but speaking figuratively) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCWihbEaVk4
Old 04-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #8
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Neever mind... Turns out Cylinder 6 injector had been disconnected, so reconnected it, changed the plugs, and idled mint! Drives alright with 15% throttle, but any more and it misses badly...

It's odd, only happens at more then 15%... I'm thinking the TPS.. But since I don't have any spares to test with, well yeah...
Old 04-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #9
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Good to see you have made some headway.
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post