Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: which car??
2010 Focus XR5 17 34.00%
2010 Falcon XR6 30 60.00%
2012 Focus Ambiente 3 6.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question New car, XR6 V's XR5 Focus V's Ambiente Focus

Guys,

Just doing a bit of research at the moment. My partner and I are looking at replacing our 2003 Focus sedan and are looking at the following:

2010 Ford Focus XR5 Turbo
2010 Ford Falcon XR6 Sedan
2012 Ford Focus Ambiente

Looking at getting a manual, possibly an auto in the XR6 due to availability,
My parents just got a 2012 Focus Trend. Was extremely impressed with it. Heaps of features, felt great to drive with the exception of a bit of torque steer. Have driven an XR6 a couple of times as a rental, quite like them but I'm thinking they're a bit short on features compared to either of the focus'. Have not driven an XR5 yet but can imagine the torque steer has the potential to be substantially worse than a standard focus but everything I have read about these cars states they are an awesome drive.

The situation is there is a baby on the way and we want to ensure there is enough room for all the usual baby stuff, pram etc. We also have a territory but we want to be able to use either car.

I'd love to get another Falcon but I'm not yet convinced its the way to go, I know the focus boots are awesome but no sure about the hatch back.

Woud love some peoples thoughts before I go tramping around car yards.

Btw we are expecting to do between 25-30,000 kms a year so it will be used, alot.

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Default Re: New car, XR6 V's XR5 Focus V's Ambiente Focus

I've got an XR6 great car does everything I want.

I've driven the XR5 and didn't find much torque steer, no where as bad as some others. My mate's MPS was pretty bad.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Well ill try not to be biased.

My choice would be either of the 2 Focus, you will still get an LV XR5 with warranty as last were built in Oct 2010.
Thing i dont like about the XR5 is it doesnt have to many features, but that said it goes about its purpose very well ie being a decent amount of fun to drive.
Torque steer isnt all that prevalent in a standard car.
Space wise i can fit the same amount of stuff in my XR5 for our interstate trip as i could in my TE50 and you wouldnt know it was in there.
Ive done 49k kms in my XR5 in 2 years, included in that is 3 2500km interstate trips.
It isnt particularly kind on tyres, im about to put another set on having already replaced the standard Contis.
No cruise can be an issue for some as can the turning circle.
But to this day there still isnt a rattle, knock or squeak to be heard.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
I've got the TDCI but mine was built in South Africa, not Germany like yours.

Mine rattles, squeaks and creaks, but I've probably put it through more crappy roads, before it was lowered i'd bash up potholed dirt roads in it all the time seeing mates, taking short cuts etc.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
I've got an XR6 great car does everything I want.

I've driven the XR5 and didn't find much torque steer, no where as bad as some others. My mate's MPS was pretty bad.
Dusty did you get manual or auto?? Any options.
So the torque steer wasnt too bad then, did you drive in the wet or just in the dry??

Quote:
Well ill try not to be biased.

My choice would be either of the 2 Focus, you will still get an LV XR5 with warranty as last were built in Oct 2010.
Thing i dont like about the XR5 is it doesnt have to many features, but that said it goes about its purpose very well ie being a decent amount of fun to drive.
Torque steer isnt all that prevalent in a standard car.
Space wise i can fit the same amount of stuff in my XR5 for our interstate trip as i could in my TE50 and you wouldnt know it was in there.
Ive done 49k kms in my XR5 in 2 years, included in that is 3 2500km interstate trips.
It isnt particularly kind on tyres, im about to put another set on having already replaced the standard Contis.
No cruise can be an issue for some as can the turning circle.
What features is the XR5 missing compared to the XR6?? No cruise control was one of the things that sort of put me off, is it available in the later models??
Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I've got the TDCI but mine was built in South Africa, not Germany like yours.

Mine rattles, squeaks and creaks, but I've probably put it through more crappy roads, before it was lowered i'd bash up potholed dirt roads in it all the time seeing mates, taking short cuts etc.
Are the current 2012 Focus made in South Africa or are they being made in Thailand??

Live, Love, RACE

Quote:
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:26 PM   #6
1TUFFUTE
Banned

ive said this before. the falcon all the way...its the current safest car you can buy in australia second hand (proven) .An with family...lots of driving and the obvious space comfort and aus designed engineering for aus conditions...you cant go pastthe lattest falcons. saying that tho...besides getting into finicky options lists....the focuses are world class for a reason.Awesome cars. Good luck shopping. Drive em all
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2012, 11:42 PM   #7
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XR6, they drive like a car a lot smaller than it is and it is a car you can grow into, always will be big enough to serve for whatever life throws you.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #8
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

"The situation is there is a baby on the way"

Go buy the pram now and try it... you will only get a small stroller into a focus and still allow room for shopping bags.
The Falcon boot is near perfect for this purpose(using the factory space saver spare)
XP6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2012, 11:53 PM   #9
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I find my Falcon's boot to be a pain in the **** with our pram. The massive bracket for the spare wheel (its on LPG) doesnt help though.

Personally I'd be comparing the XR6 to say the Mondeo wagon hatch. Having a comparo with an XR6, an XR5 Turbo and Focus Ambiente is a bit wierd

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Current Focus is a bit bigger than the previous gen (ie XR5), well by my perceptions anyway, so you may want to have a good look before comparing it to a 2012 model.

I have driven an XR5 (not far mind you) and they are a great smooth little car. I didn't notice any torque steer really but it was only a quick spin.

I'm with Road Warrior, maybe look into Mondeos too.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
WPR1

The amount of stuff you suddenly have to cart around when you have kids is amazing. With kids I have found the biggest car is best.
One thing to check is what kind of car seat you going to have. Sounds like a funny question but when your child is young and the car seat is reversed (facing backwards) it does take up a lot of room. We had smaller cars and had to trade up so. Also in the smaller cars once a car seat is fitted there isn't a lot of room left for other rear seat passengers.
All like all 3 of these cars, the XR5 is great as is the new ambiente Focus (my Dad just bought a new focus and it is very nice).
My pick would be the XR6 as I think you will quickly need the extra size.
If fuel cost is a consideration get one on gas and it will be cheaper to run than the focus.
Good luck
WPR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #12
Dusty1
Giddy up!

No point me getting a manual as the Boss can't drive one.

I gave the XR5 a good going over, and it was in the dry. I compared it to my old 205 GTi which had massive torque steer, and there was none I could feel. In the wet, maybe.

As someone else said, if you're going to have kids, then you need room. The local gym I see a woman with a pod on top a Focus where she keeps stuff. I've also seen people try to put prams in Focus boots, and they have to put stuff on the back seat floor.

I've got one child seat in the XR and three in the Territory. It's a squeeze for passengers in the XR, and forget about it in the Territory. You will need more space with kids.

I had a MC Mondeo Titanium wagon on order, and when it came in, I went and had a look at it (after we knew we had twins on the way), and no way for me with three child seats in the back. Plenty of boot space, but the seats sort of end before the seat should, so ree full size seats were out of the question.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #13
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Now try that with a pram, portacot, baby bag, a few select toys to keep the little carpet troll happy when you're away, and then try and fit your usual stuff for yourselves.

If fuel economy is a concern, I'd be looking at either the EcoLPi XR6 and if you don't like that car/don't like LPG, the Mondeo hatch would be the go.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 05-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #14
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: New car, XR6 V's XR5 Focus V's Ambiente Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by XP6
Go buy the pram now and try it...
Great idea, will certainly do this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
I find my Falcon's boot to be a pain in the **** with our pram. The massive bracket for the spare wheel (its on LPG) doesnt help though.
As above, we'll get the pram first and see how it fits, we've already got all the other stuff so we could lug it all to the dealership in the territory and see how is fits.

Quote:
Personally I'd be comparing the XR6 to say the Mondeo wagon hatch. Having a comparo with an XR6, an XR5 Turbo and Focus Ambiente is a bit wierd
I understand where your coming from but personally we're not interested in the mondeo. I was looking originally just at the current model focus to replace the focus sedan we have but was looking at the hatch, always preferred the hatch but I when I got the 03 focus I couldnt find one for the right price so sedan it was. My fiance' made the choice of looking at the XR5 because she loves them and the XR6 was made the third option for the reason fuel consuption isnt a major issue as its incorporated within the novated lease but also fuel figures released from ford state the XR5 at 9.3 and the XR6 at 9.9. Its personal preferrence but I dont like large front wheel drive cars, I have driven a mates XR5 Modeo, nice enough but not my cup of tea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
Current Focus is a bit bigger than the previous gen (ie XR5), well by my perceptions anyway, so you may want to have a good look before comparing it to a 2012 model..
I wasnt sure of this when I drove my parents new focus as the 03 focus is sedan and I had nothing to compare it to. Does anyone know the boot litre capacity of the 3 cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPR1
The amount of stuff you suddenly have to cart around when you have kids is amazing. With kids I have found the biggest car is best.
One thing to check is what kind of car seat you going to have. Sounds like a funny question but when your child is young and the car seat is reversed (facing backwards) it does take up a lot of room. We had smaller cars and had to trade up so. Also in the smaller cars once a car seat is fitted there isn't a lot of room left for other rear seat passengers.
All like all 3 of these cars, the XR5 is great as is the new ambiente Focus (my Dad just bought a new focus and it is very nice).
My pick would be the XR6 as I think you will quickly need the extra size.
If fuel cost is a consideration get one on gas and it will be cheaper to run than the focus.
Good luck
will have the seat shortly so another thing we can check when we actually go to the dealership. We were both leaning towards the XR6 before I posted this thread, the XR5 option would have been nice for the obvious reason and the 2012 focus was there as the sensible voice of reason choice, second car blah blah cheaper to run etc etc. As said above the fuel cost isnt probably going to be the biggest deciding factor as it will be on lease so a Euro IV compliant XR might just do the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
No point me getting a manual as the Boss can't drive one.

I gave the XR5 a good going over, and it was in the dry. I compared it to my old 205 GTi which had massive torque steer, and there was none I could feel. In the wet, maybe.

As someone else said, if you're going to have kids, then you need room. The local gym I see a woman with a pod on top a Focus where she keeps stuff. I've also seen people try to put prams in Focus boots, and they have to put stuff on the back seat floor.

I've got one child seat in the XR and three in the Territory. It's a squeeze for passengers in the XR, and forget about it in the Territory. You will need more space with kids.

I had a MC Mondeo Titanium wagon on order, and when it came in, I went and had a look at it (after we knew we had twins on the way), and no way for me with three child seats in the back. Plenty of boot space, but the seats sort of end before the seat should, so ree full size seats were out of the question.
Cheers for your experience, the Territory we have is a 7 seater (my fiance has children already but they are mostly grown up now) so this would more than likely be used if there's heaps of stuff to take with us - staying overnight somewhere etc. The car we are looking for is mostly to be used for the usual commuting, I'll be using to get to work, driving around dropping kids off/picking them up etc and groceries.

Quote:
little carpet troll
I read out your post to Dee and she found that very amusing, like your humor mate

Live, Love, RACE

Quote:
Old 05-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #15
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTENVY
I read out your post to Dee and she found that very amusing, like your humor mate
I shouldnt say that. I love my little man, I really do.

I see the prices of the Kuga have come down to around 35-36 for the 'Trend' spec (demo kls). Would you look at one of these? Tell wifey they have the XR5 Turbo motor in them...

Old 05-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #16
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Now try that with a pram, portacot, baby bag, a few select toys to keep the little carpet troll happy when you're away, and then try and fit your usual stuff for yourselves.
Yeah valid points i guess, i dont know how big baby gear is and i dont intend on finding out. That said when we go away its living out of suitcases for 2 full weeks so there is a decent amount of gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTENVY
What features is the XR5 missing compared to the XR6?? No cruise control was one of the things that sort of put me off, is it available in the later models??
Cheers.
Doesnt the XR6 have touch screens and all that jazz? I dont know i never even looked at one when i bought my new car.
Really the XR5 doesnt have much inside, bluetooth headunit, Recaros, global opening, voice activation, Recaros, interior security sensors (Bloody good), did i mention the recaros
And as i said its heaps of fun to drive, and if you want to mod theres much more mod ability in the XR5 IMO.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #17
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
i dont know how big baby gear is and i dont intend on finding out.
LMAO. That'll change, you just wait.