Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #31
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: PRE-paid pumps could be installed at Queensland petrol stations

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniSS
For gods sake, Stick your credit card or debit card into the pump, the pump starts working, fill up, pump stops, take your card out **** off home. Problem solved.

Pump will not operate unless a card has been stuck in. Don't have a card? Bad luck. Walk to work.
In a nutshell. thats the way it was for a few years in the 90s when I remembered pay at the pump. But the servo owners realised how much they lost in in-store revenue and canned the idea.

They could have got around it by maybe offering discounts for paying inside with an accompanying item in store. But they decided it was too hard and all the mobil pumps I went to, had the option of pay at the pump blocked or out of action. Its a shame, I loved the idea. Fast, simple and no BS sales tactics.

Now every time I fill up, every second operator asks me if I want to buy 2 choccy bars for the price of 1, or a stick of gum or something. I quickly say no, pay for the fuel and get out fast coz I hate being hassled like that. Even if I wanted choccy bars or crap like that I wouldnt be buying it from a servo at those prices. Not to mention the line up waiting for dudes with $20 in 5c pieces he found in the back of his couch and ash tray of his car to pay for his fuel.

Perhaps Im impatient, but yeah I am an advocate of efficiency with a pay at the pump option.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #32
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Now every time I fill up, every second operator asks me if I want to buy 2 choccy bars for the price of 1, or a stick of gum or something. I quickly say no, pay for the fuel and get out fast coz I hate being hassled like that. Even if I wanted choccy bars or crap like that I wouldnt be buying it from a servo at those prices. Not to mention the line up waiting for dudes with $20 in 5c pieces he found in the back of his couch and ash tray of his car to pay for his fuel.

Perhaps Im impatient, but yeah I am an advocate of efficiency with a pay at the pump option.
I'm the same, I cant understand why people buy so much stuff at servos at the prices they charge, but I am patient in the queue while the attendant scans each item of the customer in front, puts them in bags, then have problems with swiping the card, then other things come up such as the customer has suddenly remembered something else to buy, which further delays the transaction.

Yes, would be great to be able to scan the card at the bowser and be off on my way without having to go to the shop at all. There would be a better flow going through the bowsers and perhaps profits could be increased simply through more cars filling up (and without the driveaways).
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #33
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
I'm the same, I cant understand why people buy so much stuff at servos at the prices they charge, but I am patient in the queue while the attendant scans each item of the customer in front, puts them in bags, then have problems with swiping the card, then other things come up such as the customer has suddenly remembered something else to buy, which further delays the transaction.

Yes, would be great to be able to scan the card at the bowser and be off on my way without having to go to the shop at all. There would be a better flow going through the bowsers and perhaps profits could be increased simply through more cars filling up (and without the driveaways).
Unfortunately service stations do not make much money off fuel, nearly all their profit comes from the value added retail side.

I am a firm believer in swipe and go, pay wave or whatever system, especially if you don't
want to line up in the shop with 40 other people impulse buying all the way to the counter...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #34
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
yep.. its no bigdeal.. im still trying to work out what the hell this has to do with riding a motorbike or owning a gun though....

When you are a motorcyclist, you are blamed for every road accident involving a motorcycle, and every bikie incident. You are thereafter the subject of all sorts of "interesting" road safety ideas such as mandatory reflective vests, permanently wired on headlights (which was dropped after a while...some bikes have it, some don't), and many other rediculous restrictions, when the best response would be to say to car drivers "KEEP YOUR DAMN EYES OPEN OR HAND IN YOUR LICENCE!!".

When you are a gun owner, every time some lunatic goes bezerk anywhere in the world, you are looked at sharply and questions are asked in parliament about how they could make things tougher for law abiding gun owners. I have to register what firearms I own, where I live, have an approved safe bolted to the wall, guns kept under lock and key, and be subject to "random police inspections of the storage facilities" without a warrant at any time. Of course, if they could somehow get criminals to undergo the same rigorous standards of safety, something constructive might actually happen with the illegal gun problem. Restricting me won't solve anything.

Some idiots drive off without paying at the petrol pump, and all of a sudden, everyone else is being punished...

See my point?
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #35
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Unfortunately service stations do not make much money off fuel, nearly all their profit comes from the value added retail side.
Back in the good old days there was no junk food sold at service stations, however they all did car services and mechanical repairs with proper mechanics, which they don't do these days. Maybe they could re-introduce this to get some profits back. Its hard to find good mechanics these days.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #36
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
The local servo,more like a corner store used to get a kick back cheque for every litre they sold
Not sure IF thats the case now, but that was only a few years ago
IF servos only made even 5c a litre, how would they keep the places running
Wages, super,compo, sickies, holidays ect ,lights, rents, breakdowns, maintenance, up keep of the place
Sure they have the good ol junk food and drinks , but is there that much markup on a bottle of drink when all the costs are added up

As for the "service station " bit
No muppet will be smart to check a hot radiator nowadays, or pump up hot tyres,or throw cold oil in a hot engine
Cars nowadays dont have the flexibility of the old stuff especially throwing cold fluid in hot engines
Crack there goes another alloy head due to a cold water bath
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #37
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
The local servo,more like a corner store used to get a kick back cheque for every litre they sold
Not sure IF thats the case now, but that was only a few years ago
IF servos only made even 5c a litre, how would they keep the places running
Wages, super,compo, sickies, holidays ect ,lights, rents, breakdowns, maintenance, up keep of the place
Sure they have the good ol junk food and drinks , but is there that much markup on a bottle of drink when all the costs are added up
In Queensland, private operators were lucky to get 2 cents a litre, that's why most are gone.
There's a big con game going on and it revolves around rewards like shop a dockets..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #38
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
When you are a motorcyclist, you are blamed for every road accident involving a motorcycle, and every bikie incident. You are thereafter the subject of all sorts of "interesting" road safety ideas such as mandatory reflective vests, permanently wired on headlights (which was dropped after a while...some bikes have it, some don't), and many other rediculous restrictions, when the best response would be to say to car drivers "KEEP YOUR DAMN EYES OPEN OR HAND IN YOUR LICENCE!!".

When you are a gun owner, every time some lunatic goes bezerk anywhere in the world, you are looked at sharply and questions are asked in parliament about how they could make things tougher for law abiding gun owners. I have to register what firearms I own, where I live, have an approved safe bolted to the wall, guns kept under lock and key, and be subject to "random police inspections of the storage facilities" without a warrant at any time. Of course, if they could somehow get criminals to undergo the same rigorous standards of safety, something constructive might actually happen with the illegal gun problem. Restricting me won't solve anything.

Some idiots drive off without paying at the petrol pump, and all of a sudden, everyone else is being punished...

See my point?
ummmmm... no.. prepay fuel is a slight in convenience in the big scheme of life...

so what you had to walk an extra 20 or 30ft once or twice a week.. it wont hurt you as much as it hurts mr petrol thief..

who now has to now break into your house.. steal your wifes jewellery.. hock it for cash so he can buy petrol...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #39
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Prepay is a bad description, they just want proof you can pay for the fuel.
I can understand that. Not many other businesses give you the product/service with NO deposit or security.

It was a problem in the US sometimes with a non local credit card, the pumps want your zip code, other servos it worked fine.

The pumps should have credit card facilities, just swipe and pump, if you pay cash it is harder, that is when you have to go in and leave a deposit and then go back for change and receipt.

Some servos lock the doors to the shop late at night and you can pay (and shop) via a small night window, with the attendant getting your stuff.

Who remembers the old "cash only" lanes at the supermarket, they have gone, times change...move on.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #40
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Boo hoo. Sydney western subburbs have been pre paid for awhile now... anywhere strathfield to penrith. campbeltown to windsor. Not uncommon to have to prepay between all those area's.
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #41
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Logan Shire is somewhere that needs pre-pay pumps.

I can't see the issue with them. Bring em on.
Old 19-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #42
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also have heard about scammers putting credit cared skimmers on petrol pumps. So something else to watch out for so honest people don't get screwed over any more then they already do.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #43
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'd rather put my debit card into the pump and then enter my pin, saves me lining up with the people trying to choose between turkish delight and cherry ripe, then talking to the attendant about the weather, what they're doing on the weekend and how their kid got sent ot the naughty corner today at school.

Then I don't have to choose between cherry ripe or turkish delight, and talk to the attendant what I'm doing on the weekend .
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post