Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
Rodge
Banned

Default 2013 Mercedes-benz S Class - 9 Key New or Improved Technologies

http://www.caradvice.com.au/201296/2...ty-technology/

Want to see into the future of what's possible with cars ?

As has been the case for over 50 years, your best forward vision is granted by the very latest Mercedes-benz S Class and with the new model due for release in 2013 we get a further insight into the future of car tecnology. Some pretty amazing stuff there and it seems it will only be one more generation, (another 7 years) and we'll have cars that drive themselves, seems this new distronic plus with steering function is pretty damm close allready... (self driving cars is one of M Benz's stated goals). Not sure I like the idea though.

Are cars that have such incredibly complex technological systems that they can drive themselves a good idea, what do you think ?

Last edited by Rodge; 18-11-2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: To make for a more interesting debate.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2013 Mercedes-benz S Class - 9 Key New or Improved Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
http://www.caradvice.com.au/201296/2...ty-technology/

Want to see into the future of what's possible with cars ?

As has been the case for over 50 years, your best forward vision is granted by the very latest Mercedes-benz S Class and with the new model due for release in 2013 we get a further insight into the future of car tecnology. Some pretty amazing stuff there and it seems it will only be one more generation, (another 7 years) and we'll have cars that drive themselves, seems this new distronic plus with steering function is pretty damm close allready... (self driving cars is one of M Benz's stated goals). Not sure I like the idea though.

Are cars that have such incredibly complex technological systems that they can drive themselves a good idea, what do you think ?
If anyone is going to get it right Benz will , people said the same things about cruise control many years ago .
Old 18-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it's great, once again it's Mercedes Benz showing us that the future is now. Given how far cars have come in the last 10 years, I dare say most of this tech will be standard across the board by 2022.
Ford_The_Win is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

LED headlights are interesting, there is an Australian company which has designed LED head lights for bus and military purposes, but they've only got the same light output as a H4 halogen, 1000 lumens.

http://www.roadvision.com.au/Product...90_Series.aspx

As technology improves I guess these will too.

Every little efficiency gain, all helps in the long run.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 18-11-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Theres already a few cars on the market with LED headlights.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im all for good headlights for driving at night but some of the new cars are great for the person driving but not for the person driving into them,i would like to see something done about blinkers on new cars .its like playing a where is wally game trying to work out where they are especialy on a round about some are only small dots somewhere amoongst a big reflective clear headlight,in the daytime im talking
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2012, 07:07 AM   #7
Rodge
Banned

Some of the tech in the new S Class has me impressed but I can't help but wonder how this new distronic plus with steering control will work in the real world....I'm sure its perfectly able to steer perfectly 100% of the time in the middle of the lane on German highways where the lane is clearly distinguised by cat's eye's or some other form of clear lane marking... but will it work with absolute 100% reliability on our local goat tracks that pass for roads and who wants to be the guniea pigs on that experiment ????
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
EVLKNEVL

Quote:
Some of the tech in the new S Class has me impressed but I can't help but wonder how this new distronic plus with steering control will work in the real world....I'm sure its perfectly able to steer perfectly 100% of the time in the middle of the lane on German highways where the lane is clearly distinguised by cat's eye's or some other form of clear lane marking... but will it work with absolute 100% reliability on our local goat tracks that pass for roads and who wants to be the guniea pigs on that experiment ????
Yep, new tech can have its teething problems:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYY7OfQ4-5A
EVLKNEVL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yeah , melbourne has plenty of those goat tracks too, the poor car would have an automotive mental break down ,
the better head light control would be a nice thing for all cars to have, i look forward to that day when it happens, no more being blinded by boofheads driving along with high beams on.
i think it is still a way off before cars take over the role of chauffeur, maybe the technology is there , but roads and infrastructure are light years behind motor car tech these days, good effort by benz though.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #10
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dang that inflatable car look hilarious
Old 19-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #11
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVLKNEVL View Post
Yep, new tech can have its teething problems:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYY7OfQ4-5A
That's gold. Scary to think some owners will dumb down further their already questionable driving skill - with an expectation the car will take care of occupant safety.....

If MB get it to function as intended, it will be a good safety feature however.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post