Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #91
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Default Re: Queensland Run an Amber Light $330+3 Demerit Points. WTF!!!!!

So why don't they have countdown timers above traffic lights, so drivers can anticipate whether the green light is going to turn yellow.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #92
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

The ultimate question, whats the definition of " If safe to do so"...
Also, who deems it so or not, and based on what..

Clearly it's common sense for most of us..

There's no replacement for displacement!!!

Handling: Bilstein Shocks with King springs all round, Whiteline 27mm front swaybar & 22mm rear adj, upgraded PBR rotors, calipers and braided lines all round with Bendix Ultimate pads.
Go Fast Bits: Herrod C.A.I with K&N 4" pod flter, Herrod Helix spacer, Herrod oil breathers, Tridon 72c thermostat, Herrod 2.5" stainless cat back zorst.
Bunyip04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #93
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

i think the ultimate question is why do people insist on running yellows when they are 2nd in line
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #94
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
You do not have to PROVE you could not stop safely, you just have to THINK you could not stop safely.
Driving is about judgement and the person who charged you has no idea about the weight of your vehicle, state of your tyres on the road, types of braking you have and about a squillion other factors.
e.g.

Two FG2 Falcon sedans:

1) F6E with driver only, full brembos and sticky tyres such as Advans or P-Zeros
2) XT fitted with after market F6E body kit with 5 adults, 400kg in the boot, standard brakes and bob jane all rounders.

Both doing 60km/h.

Light goes amber 35m before the line.

Can both of these "identical" cars stop safely in that distance?
Neither vehicle would need to.
@60k the 35mtrs would be covered in 2 seconds, this situation would not be considered as running the amber.
If both car were 45 mtrs short of the line, the extra second would allow that both could stop safely and should do so if they are paying attention to the stale green and prepared to stop.
In there lies the problem, most people approach an intersection without a care for caution.
The correct procedure for approaching an intersection is to be prepared to stop, head check for emergency services vehicles or red light runners, and at 40mtrs, continue through.
The preferred method is stereo cranked, iphone on lap, the occasional glance upward and hope to beat the red should you miss the change to yellow.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #95
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2 View Post
Kids don't just materialize on the road like a Tardis. You see objects like animals and children moving on or near the side of the road and prepare to take action. This is termed defensive driving.

It is probably also the parents fault for letting their kids near the road unsupervised in the first place. .
I have seen my fair share of kids running out onto roads from behind objects, it does and can happen.
I had an old shuffler step out infront of me recently from behind a stobie pole, fully loaded and less than 50mtrs from a set of lights, luckily i was already preparing to stop should my light go amber and had my brake covered, he lived and my freight arrived intact.

Regardless, if that situation were to occur, both the police and insurance company would find you guilty of failing to leave enough braking room.
Yes the parents should be more responsible, yes the kid shouldnt be on the road, but above all that, there would be no collision if a safe gap was given.
This is the same scenario as a set of lights, if you run up the **** of a car which brakes suddenly to stop at an amber light, you are at fault for failing to follow at a safe distance.
You cant blame the lights or the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2 View Post
Many people constantly feather the brake pedal in this day and age, (or drive with one foot on the brake in autos) that you are never exactly sure why some people are braking. Therefore if you don't see a reason as to why they are braking you often don't brake very hard yourself. 99 times out of 100 you can lift off slightly and achieve the same result.
Agreed, but it is not your responsibility to drive for them, you just have to use caution and position yourself so as to avoid incident.
When i learnt to drive my father always said to tap the brake prior to approaching lights or an intersection which i may have to stop or giveway at just to make sure there was peddle pressure.
Yes it was an old school instinct left over from from the days of agricultural cars, but it also instilled a sense of caution on approaching intersections.
How often do you see this today, very rarely, most people just take for granted that when they need to stop the brake will be there for them.

I have a saying, 'it doesnt matter wether your right or wrong in an accident, they hurt either way'.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: