Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-03-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
nicco

Question Car transport - Vic to North Qld

Hi everyone,

Looking for a bit of advice regarding car transport.

I am looking at purchasing a car in Mildura Vic today. I had planned to drive it home to Townsville Qld, but I've just been made aware of how bad the rain is up there at the moment; I'm unlikely to make it home.

I'm looking now at transporting the car up north.

Does anyone have any suggestions, tips, advice, recommendations or warnings about ferighting a car.

I would really appreciate any advice as I'm pretty new to all this stuff. Oh and I can get the car to Melbourne today only; I have to fly home tomorrow if I don't drive.

Cheers,
Nic

nicco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 
Default Re: Car transport - Vic to North Qld

Ring a car transport mob and get some quotes would be my main advice. But if you can get to Melbourne in it I can't see why you can't drive it to QLD.
I have only transported from west to east, not up the eastern seaboard, but I have put cars on the train no problem west to east. I would imagine that trucks are generally used however on the eastern seaboard.
Old 20-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Just a thought i saw the other day , down the page here comes recommended

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...298298&page=89
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

im currently looking at quotes from mackay to melb for a car. Ceva is cheapest but no items allowed in car. average on others is $900-1100.

Maybe we get the car the other person wants and meet half way instead of doing the 2400km 1way trip?
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
King Dribble

I was quoted $700 odd from Brisbane to Townsville, in Feb 2011, but decided to drive it back myself. Drove the trade down and the new one back in a weekend (in crappy weather). The dealer reckons as he organised the quote it was cheaper than normal.

p.s. the road between Miriam Vale & Childers is shocking (cannot emphasize this enough) and I would go via Emerald onto Charters Towers in future.
King Dribble is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 12:52 AM   #6
BFZ Wagon
Formerly All Wheel Drive

Unfortunately, car transport north is always going to cost a lot more than South as most of the carriers are usually full of vehicles coming up from Victoria etc.
Sometimes the cheapest option (if available) is to fly down and drive it back.
BFZ Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 12:50 AM   #7
cowboy
Cowboy

I've used this mob

Door to Door Car Carrying
Lot 44 65-67 Centenary Place
LOGAN VILLAGE QLD 4207

Found them very good and they didn't really care what was in the car. Not an enclosed truck though, only drawback.
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
nicco

Hi everyone, thanks for all responses. My settings are obviously wrong; I didn't get an email notification of any responses. Ha ha.

When i ended up looking at the car in person the other afternoon I realised it was too low to go on most trucks or the train. The only place i could find that would transport a car that low (120mm ground clearance btw, so not unreasonably low) wanted over $2000.

I've decided im just going to fly back down there in a couple of weeks and drive it back up then.

Thanks again for allthe help everyone.

Cheers,
Nic
nicco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #9
KW XRT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
I've used this mob

Door to Door Car Carrying
Lot 44 65-67 Centenary Place
LOGAN VILLAGE QLD 4207

Found them very good and they didn't really care what was in the car. Not an enclosed truck though, only drawback.
Mate do you have aphone number for these guys

XR6 Turbo.Championship winner.
KW XRT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #10
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post