Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-04-2013, 07:42 AM   #1
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default First port of call when buying something ?

Im interested to know where people look first when looking at buying something ...
Is it straight online,maybe ebay,gumtree,direct web page ,buy the local rag,or do we get on the blower,or heavens forbid jump in the car and off we go ....
If its on line,where the first place you go ??

302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
The Monty
Just slidin'

Default Re: First port of call when buying something ?

Online to check specs and reviews, and a price that they can do on the internet.
Then to the shops, keeping in mind that shops have to pay rent, and so should have a bigger margin on top of cost price then internet stores. I then shop around, and find a reasonable price, but there needs to be good customer service. I refuse to buy from places that have crap customer service. That way I am keeping the good shops in business, and the people that are good employees in jobs.
Old 16-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I go to the shop and buy the item. If they do not have it in stock I will move on to the next shop. Saving a couple of hundred here and there on big items does not worry me.

The reason Why I am not worried. I look at this way. My time is worth about $200 an hour. If I don’t not save that amount then I am losing out. I would much rather do something I enjoy than spending it looking at shops and online.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

I usually research everything I buy first, not to find the cheapest prices, but to make sure that the product suits my needs. If it doesn't suit my needs, I move on to the next product. I gave up talking to shop staff about products, mostly because they didn't know the finer details on products (usually the bit that's important). If the shop staff know what they're talking about, I become a repeat customer, because product knowledge is important to me.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It depends on the item , if it is something out of the ordinary I would be checking prices/availability on the net first, if it's something run of the mill straght to the shopping centre.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like most that have posted here, I'll usually do my own research before I go and buy.
In no order, I'd usually research about the item online (specs, other similar products..etc.) then I'd read various reviews (Amazon, Whirlpool, Product Review) then I'd try and find the cheapest price or I'd settle for a mid-range price if the store/shop has good customer service.

The whole process usually takes me a good month or two, depending on the item.
My last purchase was a computer monitor, took me 2-3 months and finally decided to buy from a brick and mortars store, even though it was a bit more expensive than the cheapest price. The more expensive the product; the longer the research (took me 6 months to decide on my laptop).
Old 16-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

I go straight online to check the specs, its just too easy nowadays.

Then I jump on ebay to get a gauge of the price.

Actually, to be honest, its been a while since I actually walked into a store to buy something other than groceries.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xurbanx View Post
Like most that have posted here, I'll usually do my own research before I go and buy.
In no order, I'd usually research about the item online (specs, other similar products..etc.) then I'd read various reviews (Amazon, Whirlpool, Product Review) then I'd try and find the cheapest price or I'd settle for a mid-range price if the store/shop has good customer service.

The whole process usually takes me a good month or two, depending on the item.
My last purchase was a computer monitor, took me 2-3 months and finally decided to buy from a brick and mortars store, even though it was a bit more expensive than the cheapest price. The more expensive the product; the longer the research (took me 6 months to decide on my laptop).
How long would it take you to buy a house. LOL.

It all depends on your situation to. I am lucky that I earn enough not to worry about a couple hundred difference, but I can see where people do want to get the best price possible. Also I found with reviews, most are from people complaining, not many good reviews about any products online.

Another thing, the problem with waiting a few weeks with electronics, the next and better model is usually out by the time you have decided.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2013, 12:54 AM   #9
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

eBay eBay eBay. Waste so much money on eBay. I live in the middle of nowhere but the couriers drop at a servo 20kms away, shops aren't an option usually. Although I go nuts at bunnings, SuperCheap, or autobahn when I make the 300km round trip.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2013, 02:09 AM   #10
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sadly webz now , why ? , those that remember `std calls` and faxing stuff o/s , sitting next to the phone waiting,,,,If you want to be pedantic , still have the ol mans handwritten replies from places in usa chasing parts for his caddie , 6 months was a usual wait . you guys have it easy , research,compare,buy,organise payment without leaving the keyboard :/ lol
Old 23-04-2013, 11:29 PM   #11
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it's something cheap, then eBay is the go. If it's something a little pricier then a bricks and mortar store. Warranty is the reason for me. Easier to deal with real people in a shop should something break and need fixing or replacing.
Old 24-04-2013, 12:17 AM   #12
BHDOGS
Banned

www.ozbargains.com.au/deals

to see if its on special somewhere
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post