Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #241
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 
Default Re: fastest holden ever claims joshua dowling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja50nh View Post
You wouldnt need to spend $50k to keep up though.
The person I quoted - UberKnee - specifically mentioned spending an extra $50k upgrading it to match price.

I agree you wouldn't have to spend anywhere near that much to get a big performance gain and most likely equal or beat the GTS. Not in any way questioning how fantastic the new FPVs are.

The point I was trying to make (obviously not well enough) is that at the end of the day it might go as well or better, but it is still 'just a GS' and will be valued accordingly if you ever tried to sell it.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #242
Lardman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
^ I've seen a few dyno results for the ZL1 which show from 355rwkw to 386rwkw stock.
I'm presuming the GTS will be the same.
So really nothing a tuned GT couldn't keep up with, assuming the suspension kit stays relatively similar.
Lardman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #243
AD07

^^^so you're comparing a "tuned" GT to the stock HSV ....well done
AD07 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #244
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD07 View Post

That's it... Stock vs stock, or modded vs modded.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #245
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
So 430kw = how many rwkw?? I'm guessing that's 350 to 370ish. Does anyone have a more scientific answer.
They reckon between 20-25% loss.

If it is and costs as much as suggested with such a large cubed engine ..... is that really going to make it $30,000 better than a GT? ....... because
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
^ I've seen a few dyno results for the ZL1 which show from 355rwkw to 386rwkw stock.
I'm presuming the GTS will be the same.
..... dynoed my Stock GT on Friday. 329rwkw with 666 Torque. So what should be the designated sticker on the stock GT? And don't forget we are talking about the GTS ..... the Clubsport is what the GT is really up against. 325 N/A.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #246
Lardman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD07
A GT with a tune + warranty support on the tune is about 65k if you don't load up the options. Loaded up, worst case, you're still sitting at maybe 75k.

Is the 25k difference worth it? To me a limited run isn't really something you can compare to a standard production model. Limited run only really meant something when homologation builds were a requirement for the various FIA series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
That's it... Stock vs stock, or modded vs modded.
Stock vs stock, I think the new GTS will be slightly faster than the GTP as is. Modded vs modded, the new HSV GTS (IE: Corvette ZL1) is finally 1-up on the GT, but not by much really.

It's using a ZL1 engine, which is essentially a de-tuned ZR1 motor (pulley, different cam, I think, and a few other things)

But, if you want a vague idea of what you can do with it in the aftermarket...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpSXW...BDFBA&index=15
Old 06-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #247
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

I didnt think the GTS is was going to be a limited release? Everything I have seen points to standard production.

I would also damn hope the GTS would be faster. One, because of the hype and two, because of price.

Mod vs mod ..... not even part of the discussion a this stage. I would like to say though, don't think the Coyote is a slouch as its doing radical things in the states as well.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #248
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
If all you're looking at is performance maybe, but I'd expect the standard GTS to have better resale value than a modified GS. Just because you spend $50k on mods doesn't mean they're worth $50k on the used market.
Worrying about resale value is foolish though, cars, all cars, especially a 100k Holden hemorrhage money. If you're really concerned about money you could just return it to stock sell the car and sell the parts.

Besides I was talking about performance sake, 50k to spare on a GS and you'd have a genuine world beater.

Stock a GS wont be that far behind a GTS, Ford underrated the power figures to a ridiculous extent.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #249
nstg8a

I'm sure I read somewhere it was a maximum build of 750 units.

That's a lot of 100k holdens...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #250
ja50nh

Stock vs stock or modded vs modded...

The variable is price... That's like saying put the GT'S up against a GTR, stock vs stock will get murdered. Doesn't change the GTR costing around 20-30k more.
ja50nh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #251
Lardman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
I didnt think the GTS is was going to be a limited release? Everything I have seen points to standard production.

I would also damn hope the GTS would be faster. One, because of the hype and two, because of price.

Mod vs mod ..... not even part of the discussion a this stage. I would like to say though, don't think the Coyote is a slouch as its doing radical things in the states as well.
The LSA in them have quite a bit, but they're an expensive motor by GM standards compared to the LS3 and L98 blocks
Old 07-05-2013, 01:10 AM   #252
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Well it'll be interesting considering in last years Performance Car Cup in Motor the GT R-Spec didn't exactly set the world on fire with its laptime around Sydney Motorsport Park circuit. The Focus ST was within reach of it and if I recall the Megane RS265 posted a faster time.

So I would like to see how HSV can put all this power to the ground for a good laptime considering it apparently has the same power as a FPV GT (based on dyno figures that members here have quoted). If it can't efficiently use all that power then I can't see the point of constantly increasing it.
perhaps, but different tracks suit different cars, i would put money on it, put the big grand tourer/muscle cars on a big track with more sweepers and less tight cornering and the front wheel drive cars wont see the muscle cars for dust, looking at the sydney motor sport circuit , it looks to me like it would favour any lighter sporty fwd car in tight turns....... apples for apples.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #253
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
perhaps, but different tracks suit different cars, i would put money on it, put the big grand tourer/muscle cars on a big track with more sweepers and less tight cornering and the front wheel drive cars wont see the muscle cars for dust, looking at the sydney motor sport circuit , it looks to me like it would favour any lighter sporty fwd car in tight turns....... apples for apples.
Not sure, big cars seemed to do ok (see attached times and speeds).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0002.jpg (138.0 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg scan0004.jpg (137.1 KB, 96 views)
Old 08-05-2013, 01:31 AM   #254
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the 2 small cars just where not in the hp race, did alright in the very tight one, but given their company, it is pretty good to even be in this lot of cars, bit surprising they didn't have wrx/evo in the test , the mega dollar euro's and dedicated sports cars will always be somewhere at the pointy end, the only real match up for the gt i think was the chrysler, the big chrysler i note had a getrag lsd possibly giving it an edge through the tight ones ??
, pity holden didn't enter with the big commy.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #255
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

There have been no WRX/EVOs released over the year making them eligible.
HSV/Holden didn't want to enter a car which like you said was a pity and strange.

Do the GT (Rspec) not run a LSD as well?
This is what I was trying to get at, you can have all the power in the world but if your chassis can't handle it, that it can't be put to the ground then what is the point?
Even more disappointing considering the GT Rspec is FPVs version of a track car.

The Audi and more so the AMG (no i am not comparing AMG vs FPV) can have power and put it to the ground.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #256
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
There have been no WRX/EVOs released over the year making them eligible.
HSV/Holden didn't want to enter a car which like you said was a pity and strange.

Do the GT (Rspec) not run a LSD as well?
This is what I was trying to get at, you can have all the power in the world but if your chassis can't handle it, that it can't be put to the ground then what is the point?
Even more disappointing considering the GT Rspec is FPVs version of a track car.

The Audi and more so the AMG (no i am not comparing AMG vs FPV) can have power and put it to the ground.
Yes it has an LSD, but just the 70's technology version. It doesnt compare to the modern trickery that the Euros have. Also, the DSC in the FPV is just to stop you going off backwards, not making you go around the corners faster that the smarter systems deliver with a track mode.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post