Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 06-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Question Mk2 Hatch, boot felt removal

Hey guys, just wondering if any of you have attempted to remove the felt from the side walls of the boot?

I don't want to damage it, as I will be putting it back in again later, but I need to remove it so I can do some work on the car. (Still Classified Top Secret )

Anyway, I have removed all the plastic panels but still the felt appears to be attached, underneath the pivot of the back seats. I think it may be attached to the screw that holds the back seats in. Crazily enough, this screw is directly under the seat so how you get a torx key screw driver in there, I have no idea.

Assuming that I am correct that the felt is attached to the same screw holding in the seats, and that I can't get to that screw, I'm assuming there must be another way of pulling out the seats to get to that screw. Again, I don't want to damage them as they will be going straight back in again.

Has anyone done this before or got any ideas?

Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mk2 Hatch, boot felt removal

In the hatch the seats fold up and forward in the rear.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99 View Post
In the hatch the seats fold up and forward in the rear.
Thanks marg, tho I think you might have miss understood me.

The screw I want to get to is underneath the seats pivot, therefore it doesn't matter if the seats are standing up or laying flat. I still can't get to it. The seats physically have to be taken out of the car.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Here are some pix that I hope will explain it better.

Looking from the boot toward the back of the seats (right hand side). You can see the felt disappearing underneath the seats. Tugging on the felt confirms that it is attached somewhere under the seat.

Looking in from the rear driver's side door (plastic removed). You can see the side of the felt wall just beside the seats pivot while the seat lays flat. You can see the screw that holds down the seatbelt to the chassis.

I have now lifted up the seat. You can see the same screw holding the seatbelt and also another screw that holds down the seat pivot. This is the screw that I am after, however I am unable to get to it with the screw driver. There is simply not enough space.

I assume that I have to detach the seat from the pivot, but I have no clue how to do that.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lucky I still haven't properly put everything properly back from when I put the towbar on mine.

if you haven't already, you have to remove the plastic next to the seatbelt in this pic.

In this one you can see how it fits under the plastic, this is the same view but with the seat folded down.

You can see in this photo that the bit of felt that you are concerned about tucks under the seat bolt & should pull out with a bit of a tug. It is not attached to anything.

If you want me to take any more pics let me know
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #6
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

That's perfect Neale. Thanks heaps. Now I know I don't have to worry about pulling out the seats. Just need to tug a little harder!

Why did you have to pull out the boot interior to install a towbar?

Old 06-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No worries mate, I look forward to seeing what your up to.

I had to pull the boot interior out to hook up the wiring loom for the trailer plug.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post