Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Outstanding technology!

Had my eye on this website for a few years and even enquired about buying one but they cost 30K....Anyways, in a few years time they reckon the manufacturing costs will be drastically reduced with some technical improvements also..... Good old aussie invention too.... Go gas technology!

http://www.bluegen.info/

GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Default Re: Outstanding technology!

Looks good, but will you save money, or will you just swap your electricity bill for a huge gas bill.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Going by what they say if you dont use 36kwh+ a day its not viable... if you using 36kwh's a day what are you doing... growing something?

Its aimed at the commercial market
Old 17-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XP6 View Post
Going by what they say if you dont use 36kwh+ a day its not viable... if you using 36kwh's a day what are you doing... growing something?

Its aimed at the commercial market
Ye I know I just love the Fuel Cell technology..... And the fact that I have Nat gas right at the front door.... Maybe if they make a smaller unit they could supply to an even larger market? I've been in the 'solar' thread asking a few questions and I WILL be investing in solar before this unit.
Can get solar system for 8k apparently.
Old 18-07-2013, 02:42 AM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I sent them an email maybe 12 months ago, they said at the time they were concentrating on markets other than Australia, due to cost it wasn't viable at the time for us.
You have to wonder if its so nice and efficient and green why are we not using it instead of spending mega buks on solar that only works in sunlight, or getting ripped off for power.
why arent the federalies working to make these affordable for harry suburban?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
I sent them an email maybe 12 months ago, they said at the time they were concentrating on markets other than Australia, due to cost it wasn't viable at the time for us.
You have to wonder if its so nice and efficient and green why are we not using it instead of spending mega buks on solar that only works in sunlight, or getting ripped off for power.
why arent the federalies working to make these affordable for harry suburban?
They work at night, something solar does not do.

There are parts of Australia that have huge amounts of natural gas which we are currently almost giving away to other countries.

I would be a bit careful of their spin. They say 36kwh. I suspect that is 1.5kw for 24 hours NOT 36kwh for 1 hour and if so then you would not even be able to run an kitchen oven off one.

Bit like electric cars, great idea in theory but as yet impractical for the majority.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post

I would be a bit careful of their spin. They say 36kwh. I suspect that is 1.5kw for 24 hours NOT 36kwh for 1 hour and if so then you would not even be able to run an kitchen oven off one.

Bit like electric cars, great idea in theory but as yet impractical for the majority.
From their brochure
Quote:

Typically, BlueGen produces over
13,000 kilowatt-hours of electricity on-site per year.
That’s two or three times more than the average home needs, with any excess electricity
exported to the grid. BlueGen’s optional heat recovery system also generates domestic

hot water, producing up to
200 litres of ‘free’ hot water per day
depending on gas consumption it sounds like a practical alternative to me

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
From their brochure
Believe me its definitely practical and efficient.... Its just the initial cost of 30k that's holding me back..... A few more years and they should be a lot cheaper.
Old 18-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #9
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They trailed this in Aus a couple of years ago. And I think they canned the product here in Aus.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonig...-breakthrough/

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1905378
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
Had my eye on this website for a few years and even enquired about buying one but they cost 30K....Anyways, in a few years time they reckon the manufacturing costs will be drastically reduced with some technical improvements also..... Good old aussie invention too.... Go gas technology!

http://www.bluegen.info/
been out for quite a while, Harvey Norman was selling them for a short term, I dont reckon he is any more.

at the moment they are not cost effective for the home owner.

upkeep of the unit with ongoing necessary replacement parts are very expensive.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #11
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
From their brochure
And that is the spin.

It can generate 13kwh per day but how many kwh in an hour?

If you had to drive your bus 200km in a day you do do it at 100km/h and take 2 hrs or 10km/h and take 20hrs.

Both of these would would technically be driving 200km in a day.

Household electricity consumption is not linear. A lot is used at meal times while very little is used in the middle of the night or other times when no one is about.
A jug or oven will draw 2.4kw and if run together will draw 4.8kw.

As system that maxes out at 36kwh per day cannot provide 4.8kw
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #12
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just been to 'Middy's' talking about solar and the salesman said the same......If you are not actually at home through the day alldasy using the power directly off the panels you are not saving any money.... Battery packs are required to store the energy and they can cost up to 20k....
So now i'm just going to buy LED light bulbs instead and manage power consumption better........miles cheaper than 8.5k for solar!
Old 18-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #13
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree , you would need to do some serious research before investing in one, it is capable of supporting high power for peak loads it would be great but if only able to deliver 1.23 Kw ( the approximate linear rating of the unit ) it's value and usefulness would be limited to being a supplemental power source at best
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
And that is the spin.

It can generate 13kwh per day but how many kwh in an hour?

If you had to drive your bus 200km in a day you do do it at 100km/h and take 2 hrs or 10km/h and take 20hrs.

Both of these would would technically be driving 200km in a day.

Household electricity consumption is not linear. A lot is used at meal times while very little is used in the middle of the night or other times when no one is about.
A jug or oven will draw 2.4kw and if run together will draw 4.8kw.

As system that maxes out at 36kwh per day cannot provide 4.8kw

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #14
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ye, and 30k is allooooootta doh!
Old 18-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #15
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
They trailed this in Aus a couple of years ago. And I think they canned the product here in Aus.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonig...-breakthrough/

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1905378

Not even going to bother with those links.

The sources are childish...sorry mate no offense.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post