Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-08-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question AU2 LPG won't fire.

Ok. I bought a cheap AU2 on gas with 140 xxx kms, thinking safe bet, good trouble free investment.
Little did I know, the last owner has neglected the sh** out of it. Front springs have been cut within an inch of their life, rear tyres are retrograte 205/R15!, original motorcraft leads, neglect.
I did about 8,000 kms before a backfiring problem develops, below 2000 rpm. This goes on for at least a month, with some cringe-inducing backfires, which I suspect blew a hole in the flexible rubber inlet pipe.
Against my better judgement, I pressed on until it cut out one day, and wouldn't start.

Got it towed home, fitted 6 new plugs ( NGK non-iridium), new leads. Does not fire on 3 cylinders. Reluctantly cranks over sometimes. Buy a new coil pack, same issue.
Thought it might be leads, as when I tested spark, it was intermittent on 3 of the cylinders. Replaced the leads, won't even kick now. (Top Gun leads).
What do I do now, I can't afford to get it towed to a mechanic, and I am goign to see if theres a repair manual I can borrow at the library, or pdf.
Could it be a sensor issue or am I way out of my depth?

FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2013, 01:59 AM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: AU2 LPG won't fire.

Backfires can stuff the MAP sensor, they can also create a gasket or vacuum leak which will make the car hard to start and run. Are you in the NRMA/RACV etc? If so, time to call them out - they should at least diagnose the issue.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

First mistake was buying those god awful Top Gun leads, sorry but they're utter garbage. If you've still got $60 in the kitty, lose the leads and get a set of Eagle Leads HERE. (I've got a set on our wagon that have done 200k now and still out perform the factory leads.)

Double check your coil connections to the wiring loom to make sure the plug isn't full of crap or something and causing a bad connection. Then double check that you've got the leads the right way round on the coil. I remember the first time I did a lead change I managed to put the leads on wrong. Then trace every vacuum line and make sure it's still connected. All those backfires will probably have blown one or two of them off. Make sure your PCV valve hasn't disintegrated. Also, have you gapped the plugs to 0.9mm? Good luck with it.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

Just wondering which cylinders have spark. The coil pairings are
1-6, 2-5 and 3-4.
How are you testing for spark? If you connect a testlight to battery negative, then pull a lead off and get someone to crank it. You can stick the tip of the test light closer to the plug wire in the case of weak spark. It should at least be able to jump half an inch.

The sequence of events will go, crank sensor, PCM, Coil pack, leads then spark plug....
With new plugs, leads and coil pack, what you can do is go to the wiring connector between intake runners 5 and 6. You will be able to access the control pins to the coil pack - I dont have the pin numbers off hand, but you can access them on this website via the tech resources.
They are ground switched - so with the testlight connected to battery negative, you should be able touch each pin and they will fire one of the three coils - again provided they have a ground source to jump to.
This will at least by pass the crank sensor and the computer which will help isolate the problem.
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

The three blokes above have some great ideas so nothing left for me to add.
Is it an egas? or can you run it on petrol?
Backfires are my 'change leads on the weekend' indicator.
I average 53k to a set of leads.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware View Post

Dude, you got to have a problem if you're burning up leads every 50k The Eagle leads on the wagon have gone 200k so far and still going strong?

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware View Post
The three blokes above have some great ideas so nothing left for me to add.
Is it an egas? or can you run it on petrol?
Backfires are my 'change leads on the weekend' indicator.
Its a factory egas.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post