Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-02-2006, 09:58 PM   #1
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Default VW Golf 2.0 TDI - dont ban me for saying this......

I ordered a lower spec version for work. I took one of these things for a drive today it only had 10k's on it, but still they really fly.
I had trouble with front wheelspin just under starightline acceleration.
I know most of you would never look twice at a small turbo deisel car but man I think they are really cool! The torque makes for a very deceptive drive. (think your doing 60, look down your doing 90).
I am impressed.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 10:23 PM   #2
HSE2

I know one guy on here that will agree with you
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 10:33 PM   #3
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon the new Golfs look the goods.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 10:42 PM   #4
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the VW Golf TDI & VW Polo TDI r awesome

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 10:54 PM   #5
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

BAN HIM

Jokes, they look good !!!
Old 03-02-2006, 11:14 PM   #6
vino3o2
owning V8=having no $$$

Turbo Deisel's are great to drive...so much talk you can go round corners in 4th, and they get great fuel economy...sensible buy

The Reality: 13.1 @ 106mph.... The Goal: somehow get into the 12s!!! :sm_headba

www.qldsuperkart.org
vino3o2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 11:53 PM   #7
Perun
SSith Lord

I nearly replaced the old XR6T with a 2.0 TDi Comfortline. They're not a bad car but they definitely have their cons. I really wanted a GTi but there was an 8 month waiting list, then looked at a Comfortline with a few options, and then realised:

1. it's built in Siff Efrika
2. it would have cost me $45k on road with a few options (leather, sat nav, sunroof and xenon lights) and I wasn't going to pay $45k for a Siff Efrikan car
3. the rear bumper and side moldings aren't painted
4. 10 sec 0-100, scary 1/4 mile
5. not much of a handler unless you spend money on suspension and rims
6. crap crap tyres
7. tiny boot
8. fwd

The fuel economy would have been good though!

And then I bought another XR6T - never looked back!
Perun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 11:55 PM   #8
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

POLO GTI!!!!

but yes the diesel turbo varients certainly pack a punch..interesting to see what the maintance bills are like compared to petrol versions
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 12:03 AM   #9
Richmalbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by vino3o2
Turbo Deisel's are great to drive...so much talk you can go round corners in 4th, and they get great fuel economy...sensible buy
Exactly. and where is the TDi Territory when we need it? I've heard there are no immediate plans for one. Big mistake Ford. Territory is the perfect car for an oil burner variant.
Richmalbill is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 12:07 AM   #10
CATman
Black el ghia

about 5 months ago my mum got a new Golf comfortline. tdi 2.0 they are awesome.
as soon as we got it we got ALL the black plastic painted, including the lower rear bar. and also got factory 17" rims for it, It is awesome looks great and handels much better then anything i have driven for a while.
CATman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 12:14 AM   #11
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

The lower spec one I got for work was the trendline. Only a little petrol thing.

But if I saw one of these TDI privately at the right price I could be tempted.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 12:19 AM   #12
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't mind a R32 GTI but A) they're rare round here and B) if you did find one they would be incredibly expensive.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 01:39 AM   #13
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I wouldn't mind a R32 GTI but A) they're rare round here and B) if you did find one they would be incredibly expensive.
The Golf R32 and Golf GTI are two different models. It's not called R32 GTI, just Golf R32.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 01:57 AM   #14
XRated
Shoot.

I have always liked the last generation of Golfs (in particular the R32, mm mmmm mmmmm). The new ones took a while to grow on me, but I fell in love with them when I saw the GTI.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 03:57 AM   #15
Steffo
LPG > You

Can't go wrong with a 2.0 TDI. 103kW @ 4000rpm and 320Nm @ 1750rpm is quite alot in a car of that size and class. Plus it makes a 53 odd kW Toyota Prius look like a thirsty, heavily polluting pile of junk. And it's almost $10,000 cheaper!

Enjoy cruising getting 1000km to the tank ;)
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 11:20 AM   #16
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

i drove an auto a couple of weeks ago and was surprised at how well the 2.0 tdi went. it pulls like a train. i just thought the styling was a little bland inside and out and the car was a bit pricey for what it was. also, in WA diesel is a lot more expensive than petrol and it would take years for us to make our money back. we are going to buy something else instead.
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 11:44 PM   #17
Electric
F6 and AU Fairmont

Yes they are a cool car I will get one for the Mrs.

I read somwhere that Mr Gorman said there were no plans for a TDi Territory as there was no demand for it...wrong , wrong, wrong.

Or even something along the lines of the 3.0L V6 TDi in the Grand Cherokee (i know its a Daimler Chrysler product, just for comparrison) that puts out 160kW and 510Nm would be a great motor in an Falcon and would get about 7L/100k.
Electric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2006, 12:02 AM   #18
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOTAXI
I ordered a lower spec version for work. I took one of these things for a drive today it only had 10k's on it, but still they really fly.
I had trouble with front wheelspin just under starightline acceleration.
I know most of you would never look twice at a small turbo deisel car but man I think they are really cool! The torque makes for a very deceptive drive. (think your doing 60, look down your doing 90).
I am impressed.
finally something I agrea with you about..... The Golf is a great car, IMO way a head of the Focus. My only reason why I would/can not buy one, I can not fit the family and all there stuff into it......

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2006, 12:19 AM   #19
nb_351
building the xe...

the autos in these cars are excellent arent they... interior and stereo is a bit hard to figure out though... after driving a falcon... even the petrol fsi ones are good... but the gti is a great all round car, under only the r32... quicker than an evo/rex by far...
bit front heavy though... not too bad though considering...
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2006, 12:47 AM   #20
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Neat looking cars, but small cars are so overpriced!!
Old 05-02-2006, 01:38 AM   #21
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
I know one guy on here that will agree with you
I think I might know him too! :party3:

For those that didn't know (and for those that don't care), I decided to sell the yellow Japanese Banana (S15 200sx) and get something cheap to buy, cheap to own, and cheap to run, in order that I can pursue another investment property. The 200sx was a sensational car and I don't have a word to say against it, but to get my next property faster I'd have to make a huge sacrifice. Anyway, I shopped around and it was all pretty dismal at the low end of the market, until I had a look at the TDi. Initially I wanted the GTI but the waiting period is just silly. Anyway, figured it wouldn't hurt to try the TDi, so I took one for a spin (with DSG gearbox) and was immediately sold! The build quality was sensational (despite S.African origins!), the diesel engine had surprising stonk, and astonishing economy. The gearbox was the best semi-auto type I've experienced. My requirements were all met and surpassed! Best of all I got a great deal - 3 years of free servicing, $1000 of accessories, and a Navman all thrown in.

I've had it for a few months now, just done over 5,000km and it's been great. Certainly not as sharp in handling as the S15 but it does pretty well for the wheel/tyre/suspension package from the factory which is geared more for everyday use than trackwork. Ride quality is exceptional. Gearbox is a highlight, the shifts are VERY quick and smooth, and the manual mode is actually worthwhile using (unlike a lot of semi-auto boxes). Economy is a highlight as expected, and on a recent trip to the Gold Coast it returned 5.2L/100km for the trip up, and 5.4 for the return trip (as double demerits had ended!!!!!). Around town it hovers just over 6.0L/100km and trust me when I say that I don't spare it!!

I have a gripe with VW Australia in that they are not interested in bringing in the TDi which is available in Europe with optional 4-motion drivetrain. That would have been nice. The only gripes I have with the car is the lack of ANY proper input to the base model head unit (you can get an Ipod interface that uses the ANALOG!? stacker input, but it's aftermarket and very expensive), and the fact you can't "stall up" the transmission for rapid fire takeoffs, due to the way the DSG box actuates it's 2 clutches (the automatic clutch engagement/disengagement is tuned more for smooth takeoffs rather than rapidfire takeoffs, but once up and running the changes are very fast). If you could somehow do that, it would be a real stormer off the line with all that torque. Apart from that I have found absolutely nothing to critisize, and a LOT to be surprised with!

It is fulfilling it's mission as an econo-mobile better than I had thought it would, and providing a bit of fun along the way. There is a lot to be said for something that doesn't attract cops / vandals / thieves too - compared to the S15 which gave me many a sleepless night! I'll also be rectally intact come resale time too, unlike many many other makes and models we all know and love. :yeees:

Oh, and for the record, it's done a G-Tech'd 8.0s to 100kph, two up, with six pizzas in the back, and only 800km on the clock! e

Forgot to mention too, thanks to the level of savings, the next property is within reach in the next few months. :eclipsee_