Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-04-2015, 05:07 PM   #1
nstg8a

Default Crappy cell reception... Do boosters work?

We've just moved into our new house, and our reception is non existent inside the house and only marginally better outside.

I'm with Optus, and they told me we are in a reception 'hole' that's only a block or two wide, but they have no short term plans to do anything about it... But if we go fixed line Internet then they have an app that will transfer any incoming calls and texts via the Internet once my phone is connected on wifi...

My better half is on Telstra, and she gets below average reception inside or outside, but slightly better outside.

Telstra told her it's the brick construction of our house that's causing it, but had no answer when we said both our previous houses were brick and had no issues.

Telstras fix was for her to buy a new iPhone 5c, as it supposedly has a more powerful receiver or something. Or spend $700 on some aerial for the house.

On doing some Google research there's a few companies selling cell phone signal boosters, now these aren't cheap. They range from $300 up to over $1000... Anyone using anything like this?

Would hate to spend this money and for it to make no difference.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2015, 05:41 PM   #2
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Crappy cell reception... Do boosters work?

We're with Optus and have same issue as you. We thought it was to do with our house being of full brick construction, but seems all the neighbors have issues as well, even those with brick veneer homes, and I have now been told that we're also in a black hole zone, or whatever they call it.

My neighbor swears by a booster that Optus provided, I just need to go and get one. They're free of charge apparently.

You can get issues with houses of full brick construction but it's mainly internet issues rather than mobile coverage.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2015, 06:36 PM   #3
Marquis
HUGE MEMBER

We had a optus booster at our old place. It worked great,we went from zero to one bar of service to full bar in the whole house. Make sure it is free. I think it uses a little of your internet data allowance aswell.

My cruiser. 1979 Zh Marquis. "T" code 351.
My garage queen :(. 1980 TF Cortina Ghia Wagon. 4.1.
My dog. 2011 Sierra
My Daily. 2012 ZH (lol) OUTLANDER xls. 4WD CVT. Sapphire blue

Wanted
Borg Warner Lsd or centre. 25 spline
Marquis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2015, 06:39 PM   #4
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Brick house? There may be some merit in it :P What about the brick houses in areas with good reception though.... I live in a low spot, and have terrible reception, and have done since I moved here. Unbelievable as it may seem, it has actually become worse over the last few years or so. Telstra were little to no help, they only wanted to supply me a booster if I paid up front, regardless whether it worked; or not....

So I had some meaningful discussions & learnt a new language at the same time.
That then led me to finding out a good local communications business, and purchasing said repeater (Same as Telstra one but not rebranded..) with the option of a money back deal if it didn't work.

My reception has improved, I no longer have to go up onto the road to make or receive calls, and also get text messages now.
I have a Yagi antenna that was included, and I am yet to install it also.
So have a yak to a communications place, you need a Cel-fi repeater system, but I'm not sure if they work with Optus. You will also have to apply for a permit to operate it, your comms shop will know.

Ed
Old 09-04-2015, 06:41 PM   #5
nstg8a

Awesome thanks guys.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:59 PM   #6
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquis View Post
We had a optus booster at our old place. It worked great,we went from zero to one bar of service to full bar in the whole house. Make sure it is free. I think it uses a little of your internet data allowance aswell.
How did you get yours? Optus just talked dumb when I asked them about boosters.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:20 PM   #7
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We had a similar problem and encountered similar non-helpful conversations with Telstra.
After much tooing and froing (and wondering if it was actually legal or not) I bit the bullet and bought this:
http://www.mobilerepeateraustralia.c...ini-next-g-850
Our mobiles worked outside the house but as soon as we walked inside there was virtually nothing before the repeater was installed.
We don't have a landline.
It was pretty easy to put in and it's fantastic! No more standing outside in the freezing cold or rain just to make a phone call.
It was worth every penny.
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2015, 07:30 PM   #8
Marquis
HUGE MEMBER

We just complained a few times then demanded something be done. No charge. That reminds me I should have returned it 18 months ago. I would give it to you but it is linked to our account. If they plead dumb. Tell Em a mate has one and you want refunds as it s no use having one if t can't be used and you will cancel all optus things

My dog. 2011 Sierra

Wanted
This user likes this post:
Old 09-04-2015, 07:41 PM   #9
Marquis
HUGE MEMBER

It's called a home zone. Probably will need optus internet though

My dog. 2011 Sierra

Wanted
Old 09-04-2015, 08:00 PM   #10
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

Before you spend your hard earned on "Reapters" make sure they are approved by your carrier. Many are not approved by ACMA if "active". You could end up buying something that a carrier can have you turn off due to interferance on b their networks.

There are approved repeaters - google cell-fi or netivitity. They are more $$$ but approved. Optus did offer HomeZone which is a small femtocell that requires a fixed internet connection and is your own mini cell. I know these are being phased out but have a crack.

Will work on most adsl connections although NBN could be an issue in some cases.

Theres other new things in pipeline that may also help like calling over WiFi with your current number etc...id stay tuned but give Optus a call and push for a homezone and see whT they say. May also be new sites coming online to assist too. Just push bit harder
BA Falcon RTV - Project Ute 265,000km
Sold PXII Ranger XLT Cool White. 105,000
Sold PX Ranger XLT in cool white, 151,700km on clock.
Sold FGII XR6T Ute LTD Edition in Kinetic.
Sold FG XR6 Ute
Sold BA Falcon RTV. 251,300km.Was a great mate for last 7 years

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Sold '85 XF & Crashed 84 XF
Falcon_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2015, 08:06 PM   #11
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquis View Post
It's called a home zone. Probably will need optus internet though
We have a few staff using the home zones from Optus and they work well and will work on any Internet provider. We get them for nothing although I have been advised Optus will be getting out of that market.

I'd suggest googling telco antennae website and have a read. Lots of good info as well as options to try. Hell, you can even try a poor mans repeater by mounting an outside antennae and cabled to an internal antennae. Ie yagi outside to a omni inside. Works well if you get reasonable reception outside.
I'm currently organizing external antennas for a number of sites and am getting good results where the tower is over 35km away.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2015, 08:10 PM   #12
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
We've just moved into our new house, and our reception is non existent inside the house and only marginally better outside.

I'm with Optus, and they told me we are in a reception 'hole' that's only a block or two wide, but they have no short term plans to do anything about it... But if we go fixed line Internet then they have an app that will transfer any incoming calls and texts via the Internet once my phone is connected on wifi...

My better half is on Telstra, and she gets below average reception inside or outside, but slightly better outside.

Telstra told her it's the brick construction of our house that's causing it, but had no answer when we said both our previous houses were brick and had no issues.

Telstras fix was for her to buy a new iPhone 5c, as it supposedly has a more powerful receiver or something. Or spend $700 on some aerial for the house.

On doing some Google research there's a few companies selling cell phone signal boosters, now these aren't cheap. They range from $300 up to over $1000... Anyone using anything like this?

Would hate to spend this money and for it to make no difference.
what Telstra is saying is that the I phone 6 and galaxy 4 note are the only one's compatible with their 700 MHz network.
that will easily go the distance, brick wall or not..
actually optus also runs the 700 MHz network, but you still need those compatible phones.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2015, 08:12 PM   #13
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
We had a similar problem and encountered similar non-helpful conversations with Telstra.
After much tooing and froing (and wondering if it was actually legal or not) I bit the bullet and bought this:
http://www.mobilerepeateraustralia.c...ini-next-g-850
Our mobiles worked outside the house but as soon as we walked inside there was virtually nothing before the repeater was installed.
We don't have a landline.
It was pretty easy to put in and it's fantastic! No more standing outside in the freezing cold or rain just to make a phone call.
It was worth every penny.
That unit is definitely illegal and if it is causing any interference then you open yourself up to a visit from ACMA who have the authority to issue notices to turn off the repeaters well as issue hefty fines.
Falcon crazy has hit the nail on the head. The cell-fi is legal to use and works well as do the home zones if you can still get them.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:48 PM   #14
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilcv8 View Post
That unit is definitely illegal and if it is causing any interference then you open yourself up to a visit from ACMA who have the authority to issue notices to turn off the repeaters well as issue hefty fines.
Falcon crazy has hit the nail on the head. The cell-fi is legal to use and works well as do the home zones if you can still get them.
Ah well, the only interference around here will be with the kangaroos and cattle.

I also have an email from them telling me that it is legal in Australia...
Old 09-04-2015, 09:18 PM   #15
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
Ah well, the only interference around here will be with the kangaroos and cattle.

I also have an email from them telling me that it is legal in Australia...
Is there an a tick on it? Should also be an approval number.

Interference can be as simple asyou holding up a channel on the cell, although sounds like you'll be ok
Old 09-04-2015, 09:24 PM   #16
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilcv8 View Post
Is there an a tick on it? Should also be an approval number.

Interference can be as simple asyou holding up a channel on the cell, although sounds like you'll be ok
I'm not sure if there is a tick or not - it's in my roof space now.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:35 PM   #17
nstg8a

Great info in here, thanks again guys.