Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 24-02-2006, 09:22 PM   #1
OHR100
Starter Motor

Default Who Has This Problem?

I have a XR8 MKII Ute which is the great with the fuel economy getting around using bout 12L/100km BUT is dissapointing at the track. The best time i have clocked is 14.5@96mph with pulleys and cold air intake.. the car ran the same time stock in 37degree heat.. Should go quicker shouldn,t it??

OHR100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2006, 10:28 PM   #2
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Thumbs up Slow

Are you getting full throttle? Being non cable I'm not sure whether you can just switch the ignition on, press the pedal to the mettle while someone looks at your butterfly. Could be anything, start with the basics.......
Old 24-02-2006, 10:31 PM   #3
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

manual or auto ??
I wou;d expect a bit more than that but there are so many factors .. best to take it our again and see if you improve.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 12:27 AM   #4
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHR100
I have a XR8 MKII Ute which is the great with the fuel economy getting around using bout 12L/100km BUT is dissapointing at the track. The best time i have clocked is 14.5@96mph with pulleys and cold air intake.. the car ran the same time stock in 37degree heat.. Should go quicker shouldn,t it??
What was your 60ft time on the two times you ran it, as xacoupe said there is alot of factors to consider.
14.5 in 37c is not to bad though stock.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 12:58 PM   #5
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

14.5 is a good time for a stock BA xr8 .Another stock ba xr8 I had seen at the track could manage a best of 15.1 1/4 mile.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 08:53 PM   #6
OHR100
Starter Motor

It is manual and 60ft was between 2.1-2.3 the car performed worse after the 25% pullys and CAI
Old 27-02-2006, 09:04 PM   #7
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

Ok time for alot of questions
Much Wheelspin?
Auto or Manual?
If auto, manual shifting?
Track temp?
Air temp?
Barometric pressure?
Tyre Pressure?
When was the last time it was serviced?

Mr Super Skid-Man
347_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 09:05 PM   #8
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yikes... mine runs into the 13s with a CAI only.. I would hope, even on a hot day that you could do better.
Perhaps you need to relearn the car's characteristics after the changes...
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 09:09 PM   #9
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

is it possible to "reset" the computer on the BA's like it is on the AU's?

MY car (fairmont ghia V8) goes nuts, Ie: VERY DAMN FAST .... till the temperature gauge sits over 1/4 then it becomes less pokey and feels softer. i am positive it has to do with heat.. maybe that is what your car is suffering from.. considering it was a 35 degree day? EDIT... 37 degree.
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 09:51 PM   #10
OHR100
Starter Motor

The first time i raced it there was no wheel spin even dropping the clutch at 5000rpm. There has been wheel spin the other times but nothing to bad with running lower tyre pressure.the MPH has been around 97-98 so thats why i question the cars performance after the mods as it didn't even gain MPH.. Raced it 3 seperate nights at WSID
Old 27-02-2006, 10:03 PM   #11
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

Maybe your mods were incorrectly installed.

Mr Super Skid-Man
347_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 10:20 PM   #12
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The first time i raced it there was no wheel spin even dropping the clutch at 5000rpm. There has been wheel spin the other times but nothing to bad with running lower tyre pressure.the MPH has been around 97-98 so thats why i question the cars performance after the mods as it didn't even gain MPH.. Raced it 3 seperate nights at WSID
As a few of us said before there are alot of factors as to why.
For example 60ft times if you did a say 2.4 60ft and improved to a say 2.2 60ft you will gain a easy .4 off ET.
Then you have air temps 37c is stinking hot for drag racing the ecu's on these cars hate the heat. Example 37c you do 97mph take the temp down to say 15c your mph would jump to around 100-101 mph due to better air quality.
And dont foget any wheelspin is bad for your ET, try just driving off the line at around 2200rpm you will be supprised in the results.
5000rpm launches with out edit the torues reduction tags would kick in turning it into a doughy pig hell I havnt even reached those revs am saving for a tilt tray to tow me home after my driveline gose bang.

Last edited by Quadcams; 27-02-2006 at 10:35 PM.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 11:36 PM   #13
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
14.5 is a good time for a stock BA xr8 .Another stock ba xr8 I had seen at the track could manage a best of 15.1 1/4 mile.
Stock mine went 14.2 with a 2.39 6oft so there was a 13 in it i think.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 11:38 PM   #14
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Was the traction controll on bud, if so thats your problem. I cant see it possible to launch about 3ooorpm on street tires without it smokin.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2006, 10:26 AM   #15
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
Was the traction controll on bud, if so thats your problem. I cant see it possible to launch about 3ooorpm on street tires without it smokin.
I was under the impression that utes don't have traction control, not until the BF anyway.

I would say that you are being hit by the dreaded torque tags. I run an auto but have found that if I stall it up too much the torque tags come in and it gets really doughy, that was until I got edit and had the torque tags cut back. What is the feel of the car like in rolling accelleration? If it is strong on the street with in gear accelleration I would blame the torque tags. Once they cut in, it takes about half the track before the car really starts to perform.
What CAI are you running? Not all are equal and some perform way better than others. Underdrives do not really make that much of a difference, only about .1 sec, if that. I found my biggest drop in times came from ECU mods (first unichip and then edit). Mine was 14.7 stock and I am now at 13.6 on a hot night with edit, underdrives and helix block. It is the edit that has made the biggest difference.
The fact that you mention great fuel economy suggests to me that you drive for economy a lot, this does not help if you want good times. Some will disagree with me but I have found that if you drive for economy the ecu will adapt to that and be a bit down on accelleration and power. Try disconnecting the battery for an hour to clear all the adaptations that the ecu has made on the day that you are going to the track. Check out this thread for details ECU questions
Old 02-03-2006, 11:40 PM   #16
OHR100
Starter Motor

Thanks 4 all the info. The good fuel economy comes from the freeway driving i do. i will dissconect the battery and see what happens as well.. Oh and by the way definatly not a unhappy Ford driver
Old 02-03-2006, 11:43 PM   #17
OHR100
Starter Motor

Oh and dropping the clutch at 5000rpm was at a meet after a top fuel weekend with the standard dunlops