Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-09-2015, 04:25 PM   #1
12slots4ever

Default Rear wheel hub will just not come off

hi everyone. My 2000 model AU XR8 has a crook rear wheel bearing which my son & I are doing at home. Everything pulled down without a problem until it was time to pulley the hub off. It just won't move & we have no idea on how to get it off. We have pullers and are using them to no avail. Please help us if you can,I'm stuck with no car!! George
12slots4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2015, 08:38 PM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Rear wheel hub will just not come off

How did you go George ? I haven't touched mine for some years, but from memory mine where pretty stubborn to get off also,
I think a bit of rust around the centre hub was the issue with mine, a bit of CRC or wd40 to loosen it up and a puller and some blows with the big hammer to help jar it loose did the job, don't forget to release the handbrake.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-10-2015, 08:42 PM   #3
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

I could only remove mine after soaking it overnight with Inox and a BIG 3 claw puller...
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-10-2015, 12:54 PM   #4
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

An excellent product for dissolving rust is Rost-off made by Wurth. I think Repco sell it. 10 times faster than wd40 or crc
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2015, 01:20 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTe342 View Post
An excellent product for dissolving rust is Rost-off made by Wurth. I think Repco sell it. 10 times faster than wd40 or crc
Cool , thanks for the tip , i`ll give it a try ;) .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2015, 05:32 PM   #6
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Rost-off etc is great, can also try a paint strip gun to expand the hub while pulling, can also squirt some freeze spray on the splined shaft to shrink it, again while under puller tension.
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2015, 03:05 AM   #7
12slots4ever

Thanks everyone, jobs done! I ended up taking the whole hub assembly to the local steering guy & he pressed out with the old and in with the new bearing and charged me $66. To do the job cost me a total of $165, any idea on what the cost would be for a mechanic workshop would charge???? George
Old 06-10-2015, 09:06 AM   #8
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12slots4ever View Post
Thanks everyone, jobs done! I ended up taking the whole hub assembly to the local steering guy & he pressed out with the old and in with the new bearing and charged me $66. To do the job cost me a total of $165, any idea on what the cost would be for a mechanic workshop would charge???? George
Yep, i paid $200 two weeks ago - I don't have a 60 ton press, so i was happy to let the local mechanic do the job!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2015, 10:25 AM   #9
12slots4ever

Was that doing the job yourself and $200 in parts & press labour or $200 + parts finished!
Old 06-10-2015, 10:34 AM   #10
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Sorry George, that was with parts supplied by me. I paid $140 for a pair of bearings sourced locally. All up $340, they did all the labour, i'm happy with what they did.

You did good!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2015, 10:38 AM   #11
12slots4ever

I suppose you dont save much these days doing it yourself, I've always told my sons that you have to fix some things yourself!!! Thanks George
Old 06-10-2015, 11:06 AM   #12
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12slots4ever View Post
Well done.
I thought you were stuck trying to pull the hub off the spline of the half shaft, obviously you already had that off, yeah you need a decent press to separate bearing and hub.

PS: Too late now, but make sure there are no scores or marks on the hub as the OD of the hub sets the preload on the ID of the bearing.
If scored, the new bearing will be loose/fail in no time.

Cheers.
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2015, 06:51 PM   #13
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work on the BF Brake information. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Photo Essay - Centre Console Disassembly 

This.

Always keep a can Wurth Rost Off Plus in the shed.

If you ever see a good price on a hydraulic gear puller on Gumtree, etc, then buy it straight away. Useful gadget. Weighs a ton, though.

Read about it all at Cabloid, the web site that has stories and photos about my life driving a taxi at night.
www.cabloid.com.au
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #14
XRMick

Good pics Phildo, serious looking puller there. Doesn't look like there would be much that could resist that!
XRMick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2016, 06:11 AM   #15
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What do you use for front rotors where you have a bearing cap instead of the solid centre like on the rear?
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2016, 12:46 AM   #16
XR8235

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
What do you use for front rotors where you have a bearing cap instead of the solid centre like on the rear?
Take the cap off
Cheers
XR8235 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2016, 10:10 PM   #17
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
http://www.fordforums.com.au/vbporta...?articleid=222

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post