Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-03-2006, 08:36 AM   #61
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout
Yes, but is that "some of us" enough to justify the possible loss that the v8 could incur?
I'm pretty sure that at least in Holden circles that "some of us" numbers owning V8s is proportionally pretty high .. it's probably not that high with the T6 in the Ford camp, but the number of V8-loving diehards is still significant.
Ford tied the "hi-po" 6 in the mid eighties and lost at least one generation to Holden ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 11:04 AM   #62
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

I too think some of that speculation will come to pass.

Working out which bits is a lot harder though.
Old 20-03-2006, 04:32 PM   #63
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Originally Posted in 2004 by some HSV_D!ckhead who gets : later on in the that forum...

For your viewing pleasure

Nah, ford is not entering a golden era, just enjoy it while it lasts. This is because Ford is relying on the Territory to save them, and there will probably never be another all new Falcon, because Holden has the all new world class VE coming in 2006, Toyota may be running VE Avalons (rebadged Commodores) in the 2007 Championship, and the next all new Falcon is due between 2010 and 2013. Ford is stuck with the BA platform for another 6-9 years, where as Holden has a brand new one (designed in USA by GM) just around the corner. Holden also have a V6 planned for the Adventra in December which will take a big chunk out of Territory sales, and an all new car (Chevy Equinox) to rival Territory in 2006. Ford has no plans for a new production V8 in the next 5 years, so we may see a repeat of the 80's (Ford dropping the V8). It's all downhill for Ford from next year (Gen IV V8 Commodores), and while they are trying to save themselves, theyre not gonna care much about motorsport. Another thing is, Ford America has no money to support Ford Australia, whereas GM is putting everything it has into Holden, so a Ford Australia death is on the cards in 2007, 2008, 2009. This would also mean that if Ambrose was to become a legend in the V8 Supercars, he would be driving for either Holden or Toyota after SBR goes down with Ford.

He later goes on to say "just wait til January 2006...Holden will be back..." Well all im asking is...Why didnt he predict the F6 Typhoon amidst all his other highly accurate ИИИИИ?
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 06:57 PM   #64
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster
Alright you lot enough speculation as to the future of the Falcon......I have the latest straight from the horses mouth and my source is honourable.

The next Falcon is going to be called "The Millenium Falcon" it will have a V8 photon drive there will also be an performance model it will have a V8 hyperphoton drive.

The base model will get to light speed in 2.5 parsecs...the performance model will get to light speed in........1.2parsecs.

My source...YODA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Official Press Release
"Millenium Falcon, it will be called. Light speed in 2.5 parsecs, it will reach. Be built in our lifetimes, it will not."
Chewie says it's fully sick!

My XB Fairmont Sedan Project
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 08:08 PM   #65
Deanodriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout
Fair point.

I think they need to rethink their strategies then. Whilst the Falcon should and hopefully will remain. They need to do something like borrow the Mazda 6 and re style it, badge it a TX5 and offer a medium sized cheaper car.
I have a better idea. Re-introduce the Mondeo (maybe even build it here). The original one was poorly timed (medium car sales not high), the new one may do better.

Keep the Falcon as well, of course
Old 20-03-2006, 08:21 PM   #66
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanodriver
I have a better idea. Re-introduce the Mondeo (maybe even build it here). The original one was poorly timed (medium car sales not high), the new one may do better.

Too bad Ford are tightening the belt, they should design a mid sized car here in OZ. They did it with the terri and it's a success story. Why would there be a problem with a mid sized car. Ford gets the funding to design cars for the rest of the world but cant get some funds for a mid sized car.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 08:24 PM   #67
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I reckon that this thread has been a GM biggot wind up. The simple truth is that the ford product projects itself as a quality product with advanced engineering (quad over head cams, control blade rear suspension) The GMH competition is still relying on antiquated technology (push rods and IRS, read radial tuned suspension : ) If GM still has these offerings in the VE they will be starting behind the BF from day one. I bought my BF manual XR8 in december 05 after about 6 weeks of test driving GM's and fords. I could have gone either way, but value for hard earned money was the crucial element in the descion making process. The commodore was second best in every aspect of the two car comparison. From memory the only area the the comondoor was ahead was in the weight department. I think that this will be different with the new commondoor. At the moment any "thinking" person would surely choose the BF over the current GM. The die hard biggots will always buy their chosen poison. (GM and ford biggots) But as of today the ford is the superior product... Another 2 cents, these forums are getting expensive.
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 10:36 PM   #68
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Outbackjack....you have'nt been into Bojangles lately have you.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 10:46 PM   #69
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster
Outbackjack....you have'nt been into Bojangles lately have you.
I have been to Bo's twice in 5 years... A bit noisey for me these days, but the place is always full of young back packers from Europe, as you probably know.... May be I should go more often!!!
Old 20-03-2006, 10:52 PM   #70
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not much has changed...the hostel is about the same from memory.

Yeah if your the game for the backpackers.

Still there's always the animal bar at the Todd Tavern...hahaha

Sorry could'nt help myself.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 20-03-2006, 11:12 PM   #71
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Ha Ha I know what you mean, the animal bar is getting blacker by the day!!! Dangerous place now.
Old 21-03-2006, 10:08 AM   #72
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanodriver

Yeah, the Mondeo was an awesome car.... :

I reckon it would need a complete redesign to sell here. And I dont think its sales problem previously was too much to do with timing. More likely because it was a sh*tbox. Could always bring back the Taurus.... LOL

As to the first post of this thread : is all I have to say...

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 10:28 AM   #73
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
Original Mondeo over here was rubbish. Current mondeo in Europe is pretty good. New one will be even better.

It would be good to have it out here, but probably no space in the market between Focus and Falcon at this stage.
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 10:48 AM   #74
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Falcon can be adapted to be seen more as a small car. Smaller engines (~3.5L I6, 2.4L I4), smaller body (shorter bonnet, shorter boot), lighter suspension. It could even be made FWD (like holden did with the Ecommodore).

But whats a small car, Yaris sedan is as big as a corrolla, and a corrolla isn't much smaller than a camry these days. The new avalon is going to be built off a camry anyway.

Do people want small cars or efficent cars? Falcon already has a class leading 10.2L/100 fuel consumption. Further development of the I6 with direct injection alone could pull that down to 8.5-9.5 L/100 km. Which is bang on the small/medium car range.
Not to mention LPG versions being more widely avalible with newer injected LPG a possibility.

Sedans in Australia is still the major catergory. Small cars are a cut throat business and the only one who will win that war is Chinese and korean manufacturers. Holden couldn't keep selling the european barina because it wasn't even going to break even on it. Ford too struggles with the Festia pricing.

Family sedans make money. With family sedans you can keep a viable manufacturing operation, spend on marketing and product development and develop more varients.

Ford will have the territory and the falcon as its core products. Falcon is one of the more profit per cars in the country and the Territory is as well. Ford doesn't have a whole lot of excess capacity so they have to look at value added product to increase profits.

Ford is moving away from massive fleet deals. In 5 years I wouldn't be suprised if Holden and Ford had lost alot of fleet sales to small cars. Even tho they might lose sales, they will gain profits. Cars will most likely be better because they aren't selling to customers who buy 1000's of one type of car because its the best deal, they will create more products for private purchases.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 11:00 AM   #75
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkIV
200kw six and ZF will be std. Manuals for XRs only. (US CVT being considered conditional on market acceptance by traditional Falcitory buyers)
I know for a fact that there will be a five speed auto in base models codenamed (Laser) and the same ZF will remain in hp and luxury models. No LWBs though. Anyway you are full of it.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 11:01 AM   #76
Axle-F
AU - YEA YOU!

This thread is definately a troll - stop feeding it! out:
Old 21-03-2006, 06:20 PM   #77
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

A 3 litre I6 in a smaller RWD chasis WOULD be bloody awesome, say something a little smaller than a 3 Series or Mazda 6.

It's all about market perception, the Camry for example would do significantly worse against the Falcon if people thought of the Ford offering as a powerful 'small/medium' family car, rather than the large car it really is. People just assume small/medium is more economical and ignore the alternatives.
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 07:00 PM   #78
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic

I reckon it would need a complete redesign to sell here. And I dont think its sales problem previously was too much to do with timing. More likely because it was a sh*tbox. Could always bring back the Taurus.... LOL

As to the first post of this thread : is all I have to say...
Ford made the mistake of dropping the Mondeo just before the new version went on sale, as it was and is still an excellent car, and also just before the medium car segment started going gangbusters. A dumb move in hindsight, but it is positioned too close to Falcon, but for some reason they sell the Mondeo in New Zealand but not here.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 10:33 PM   #79
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My stepduaghter has regretted selling her Mondeo....for a Camry...the mondeo is a drivers car unfortunately she succumbed to peer pressure to drive her alcoholic mates around.

The Mondeo was considered to small for 4 adults.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6