Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-04-2019, 04:08 PM   #1
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Insurance and buy cars

hi everyone

was wondering if theres anywhere you can go or anything you can do to learn how to make insurance claims and buy cars just to keep in mind as want to learn those things to add to the car skills and its probably something everyone should learn.

years and years back at school we practiced making doctors appointments as part of living skills and it would have been nice to add those 2 things in, thats one reason for wondering if there was somewhere you can go that wont cost much if anything.

another reason is havent been able to go to the cousins 3 hours for last couple years and its only since buying the ba ghia that you could probably think about it again and now they got commitments. what would likely be reason why all want kids suddenly would it just be the age they are.

for normal people that dont have alot of money or come from a thrify family or are thrifty themselfs and think its cheaper to keep fixing daily car you got or another cheap one which it is 90-95% of time even changing a engine transmission or suspension or bit of everything when you divide the cost by 12 whats better out of trading up and paying more than continually fixing what you got or another cheap one and pay less but have the inconvenience and hassle of not knowing if the next trip the next big thing goes or cant make plans due to needing one thing after another.

even though its always financially cheaper to keep fixing the daily you got or another cheap one and some people do because they cant afford or dont want a loan or like a particular type, what would be reason why most middle age families or younger people dont put up with it and hang on till the engine goes or cars completely worn out like in their parents or grandparents day.

would it be because people these days have places to go things to do and want to get there and dont want to be bothered fixing one thing after another even though most cars occasionally have a couple things go wrong maybe a few they do get to a point that its one thing after another and it might best to sell it or park it if you want to keep it past a point and get something else.

how would you ask someone or people in their family to hang on till their cars completely die and not change them over at the warning signs.

thanks
car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2019, 07:31 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Insurance and buy cars

It's a fair question. I guess when you are taught from a young age how to do these things it comes second nature and you assume other people can do that stuff.

A few months ago I saw a fellow teacher stressing over the laptop. I asked her what was up and she said she was about to be given a car from a family friend and they told her to arrange insurance. Other people (her parents??) had always done all that in the past so being in her mid 20's she felt quite embarrassed.

She really had no clue even as to the types of insurance, NCB, excess discounts etc. Brilliant English teacher, just clueless about cars.

Next week I'll need to chat to the history teacher about her bald tyres before she herself becomes history.

To answer your question. I guess people generally ask friends and family. Its really funny actually, being a high school teacher each syllabus has a section for students that are not as bright called 'Life skills'. I have taught brilliant students that have got 99.95 in their HSC that probably wouldn't know the different fluid openings for a car or what PSI to run their tyres at.

Yet they could do 4unit maths and physics in their sleep....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-04-2019, 12:14 AM   #3
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

or normal people that dont have alot of money or come from a thrify family or are thrifty themselfs and think its cheaper to keep fixing daily car you got or another cheap one which it is 90-95% of time even changing a engine transmission or suspension or bit of everything when you divide the cost by 12 whats better out of trading up and paying more than continually fixing what you got or another cheap one and pay less but have the inconvenience and hassle of not knowing if the next trip the next big thing goes or cant make plans due to needing one thing after another.

even though its always financially cheaper to keep fixing the daily you got or another cheap one and some people do because they cant afford or dont want a loan or like a particular type, what would be reason why most middle age families or younger people dont put up with it and hang on till the engine goes or cars completely worn out like in their parents or grandparents day.

would it be because people these days have places to go things to do and want to get there and dont want to be bothered fixing one thing after another even though most cars occasionally have a couple things go wrong maybe a few they do get to a point that its one thing after another and it might best to sell it or park it if you want to keep it past a point and get something else.

how would you ask someone or people in their family to hang on till their cars completely die and not change them over at the warning signs.
car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2019, 09:01 AM   #4
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
It's a fair question. I guess when you are taught from a young age how to do these things it comes second nature and you assume other people can do that stuff.

A few months ago I saw a fellow teacher stressing over the laptop. I asked her what was up and she said she was about to be given a car from a family friend and they told her to arrange insurance. Other people (her parents??) had always done all that in the past so being in her mid 20's she felt quite embarrassed.

She really had no clue even as to the types of insurance, NCB, excess discounts etc. Brilliant English teacher, just clueless about cars.

Next week I'll need to chat to the history teacher about her bald tyres before she herself becomes history.

To answer your question. I guess people generally ask friends and family. Its really funny actually, being a high school teacher each syllabus has a section for students that are not as bright called 'Life skills'. I have taught brilliant students that have got 99.95 in their HSC that probably wouldn't know the different fluid openings for a car or what PSI to run their tyres at.

Yet they could do 4unit maths and physics in their sleep....
I don’t think she’s alone,

When my son got his car, I walked him through it

I did the negotiating as he wasn’t comfortable pushing back on the dealer for price, but he was standing next to me

Come transfer, he did it I answered his questions as we went through the process, and insurance was no different.

And come rego time we did it the same way, I feel confident that next year he’ll be able to do it himself, but I’ll happliy help if he wants

Funny thing is though, all his mates are getting cars, and they were sitting on the back deck talking **** the other day, and car insurance came up.

My young bloke just said he got his CTP through X and they were the best value for him but his comprehensive was with Y.

One of his mates shot back, you don’t need comprehensive you just need 3’rd party as that’s all that’s compulsory, the rest is just if you want your car covered

(I was pretty proud at this stage) my young bloke dug a little deeper turns out the kid had no other cover than the green slip, and didn’t understand that the green slip only covers the people not the other vehicle or property.

I’m assuming this kids parents either didn’t help or didn’t know

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-04-2019, 12:40 AM   #5
flightstrike

Have to agree.. we walk out of High School not knowing how to change a tyre, but I can tell you all about Shakespeare... (that’s a lie, I can’t tell you that either).

2010 FG XR6 Ute
flightstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2019, 09:31 AM   #6
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightstrike View Post
Have to agree.. we walk out of High School not knowing how to change a tyre, but I can tell you all about Shakespeare... (that’s a lie, I can’t tell you that either).

Old 05-04-2019, 09:38 AM   #7
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

What screw through yonder carcass pokes?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2019, 09:39 AM   #8
falcon_bandit
Banned

it all comes down to the cost of living arrangments when you divide these by 13 they add up the prices of engine oil which helps people understand the learnings of yeti policeman so why you ask do these trade up instead of doing the cylinder bore honing accomplishes nothing but adds cost to future families who travel to see mcdonalds in the morning
falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2019, 09:40 AM   #9
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

We’ll see you at the Blooomsday readings and drinks, hombre?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2019, 10:43 AM   #10
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit View Post
it all comes down to the cost of living arrangments when you divide these by 13 they add up the prices of engine oil which helps people understand the learnings of yeti policeman so why you ask do these trade up instead of doing the cylinder bore honing accomplishes nothing but adds cost to future families who travel to see mcdonalds in the morning
I don’t know what you said, but I have a hankering for a bacon and egg McMuffin

Old 05-04-2019, 10:52 AM   #11
falcon_bandit
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
I don’t know what you said
I was trying to stay on topic........whatever that is? Haha
falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2019, 06:27 PM   #12