Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-08-2021, 10:31 AM   #1
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Default What California's New ECU Law Means for Tuned Cars

has anyone read this topic?

https://www.msn.com/en-au/motoring/n...?ocid=msedgntp

sounds 'interesting' due to California being the state [region?] with the most stringent car pollution laws [well that i know of].

thoughts anyone on the possible implications over here?
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2021, 10:37 AM   #2
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What California's New ECU Law Means for Tuned Cars

More reason for resto mod older stuff to keep on being popular in the US. (Modern drivetrains and suspension in older cars)

Isnt every mod in oz done after ADR 27A already technically a no-no unless you get it signed off?
lumen8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2021, 10:53 AM   #3
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumen8 View Post
More reason for resto mod older stuff to keep on being popular in the US. (Modern drivetrains and suspension in older cars)

Isnt every mod in oz done after ADR 27A already technically a no-no unless you get it signed off?

no idea - hence my question
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2021, 11:01 AM   #4
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's all coming whether we like it or not.

The EU is mandating speed limiting technology from next year, so it means that new vehicles sold within the EU will need to be built with the technology already in place. Because the Euro market is so big, then car companies will probably include the technology in general production. Then it'll up to the various national governments outside the EU to decide whether they adopt the full package and set up the necessary infrastructure to utilise it. Britain, despite Brexit, has apparently already indicated that they'll be going with it as well.

You can back in that it'll slowly spread across the rest of the world in time.
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2021, 11:13 AM   #5
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad2 View Post
no idea - hence my question
Well I have been told that is the case, technically. Of course the enforcement will vary state to state, but in SA ive had cops go over my later model cars very thoroughly looking for any mod as an excuse to defect.

That doesnt happen often, but if you get their attention and its not an old car

If its modded they want you to go through the motions to ok it.

Even post '69 must have a pcv valve and not vent crankcase to atmo.

What is going on in CA will be a big deal over there in CA but I dont think that will change anything here for the moment... it wont even change many of the other states over there and how they do things.

Over the longer term though there does seem to be a move towards manufacturers wanting their ECU's to not be accessed, and moves to make doing so illegal. I havent looked recently but apparently the new corvette is a tough nut to crack for example. John Deere was on about this kind of thing also with their diesels.

Tuning shops have been fined by the EPA in the US in recent times... it has begun.

TBH I thought it woulve come here by now, and was even one reason why I wasnt interested in doing tuning as a job/business, i thought it mightve been regulated out of existence by now and deemed illegal.

But instead we see workshops cranking out 7 second cars today, that are post 27A in many instances.
lumen8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2021, 11:36 AM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Well I have been told that is the case, technically. Of course the enforcement will vary state to state, but in SA ive had cops go over my later model cars very thoroughly looking for any mod as an excuse to defect.

That doesnt happen often, but if you get their attention and its not an old car

If its modded they want you to go through the motions to ok it.

Even post '69 must have a pcv valve and not vent crankcase to atmo.

What is going on in CA will be a big deal over there in CA but I dont think that will change anything here for the moment... it wont even change many of the other states over there and how they do things.

Over the longer term though there does seem to be a move towards manufacturers wanting their ECU's to not be accessed, and moves to make doing so illegal. I havent looked recently but apparently the new corvette is a tough nut to crack for example. John Deere was on about this kind of thing also with their diesels.

Tuning shops have been fined by the EPA in the US in recent times... it has begun.

TBH I thought it woulve come here by now, and was even one reason why I wasnt interested in doing tuning as a job/business, i thought it mightve been regulated out of existence by now and deemed illegal.

But instead we see workshops cranking out 7 second cars today, that are post 27A in many instances.
It's like anything I think people are just happy running the gauntlet, most of the people on AFF with modified cars have illegal mods.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2021, 12:46 PM   #7
hayseed

Quote:

Dream On....

They're the Worlds Fifth largest Economy.! & one of the Main instagators of Engine emission Standards for over 40Yrs..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2021, 12:48 PM   #8
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad2 View Post
has anyone read this topic?

https://www.msn.com/en-au/motoring/n...?ocid=msedgntp

sounds 'interesting' due to California being the state [region?] with the most stringent car pollution laws [well that i know of].

thoughts anyone on the possible implications over here?
Now over to you, the Hulk.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2021, 03:23 PM   #9
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Aurion ECUs are already maxed out for performance - no point even going in there!
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-08-2021, 07:00 PM   #10
jakka351

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
It's all coming whether we like it or not.

The EU is mandating speed limiting technology from next year, so it means that new vehicles sold within the EU will need to be built with the technology already in place. Because the Euro market is so big, then car companies will probably include the technology in general production. Then it'll up to the various national governments outside the EU to decide whether they adopt the full package and set up the necessary infrastructure to utilise it. Britain, despite Brexit, has apparently already indicated that they'll be going with it as well.

You can back in that it'll slowly spread across the rest of the world in time.
When you say speed limiting technology, what do you mean - not a speed limiter as we colloquially know it now?
jakka351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2021, 10:59 AM   #11
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximafag View Post
When you say speed limiting technology, what do you mean - not a speed limiter as we colloquially know it now?
Correct.
A video camera reads the speed sign and sends the signal to the car’s ECU to limit speed to the posted signage (I could see this being backed up by a transmitted speed signal to ECUs as well). Welcome to the new era where governments give up on income from vehicle infringements and go for direct behavioural regulation. When that happens, forget overtaking above the posted speed limit, speed control and active lane keep will probably kill that off.

The EU believes that this move will eventually reduce crashes by 30% and deaths by 20% but that could take years to happen until all vehicles have the tech.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2021, 03:17 PM   #12
jakka351

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Correct.
A video camera reads the speed sign and sends the signal to the car’s ECU to limit speed to the posted signage (I could see this being backed up by a transmitted speed signal to ECUs as well). Welcome to the new era where governments give up on income from vehicle infringements and go for direct behavioural regulation. When that happens, forget overtaking above the posted speed limit, speed control and active lane keep will probably kill that off.

The EU believes that this move will eventually reduce crashes by 30% and deaths by 20% but that could take years to happen until all vehicles have the tech.
Minority Report. Just fantastic.
jakka351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post