Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-05-2006, 01:20 AM   #1
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Celica gt4, how good are they!

Just thinking about a cool car to burn around on dirt roads, as well as being a nice car for the weekdays for my wife to be. I came up with this:! I want to do autocross racing in it too. Should fly!

A 1994 Celica Gt Four Group A Rally.

Have an old wheels mag, 0-100 in 5.9 seconds, they seem to have fun on the dirt roads! Was around $85000 plus on roads, now you can find them for 22 to 25000 for Australian delivered ones, which doesnt seem too bad.

See here:

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=2808772&cur rent_rec=14&used_rec=1&total_rec=23&sort_type=&tot al_rec=23&sort_type=&price_min=7500&make_id=8&mode l_id=31&keyword=TURBO&state_id=-1&search_distance=25

Then looking around, some people have imported similar cars and try to sell them for 20,000 but dont have leather seats etc. I looked and found this from a japan direct exporter, just $5400us + $us800 shipping. How cheap is that!
http://www.japan-partner.com/images/...b5100b5abc.jpg
http://www.japan-partner.com/Auto/15...-for-sale.html

If it was that simple! Anyone know how to get one registered like some people have?! How much money are the importers making! I see those 300zx twin turbos that are sold for 14 - 20 grand here are being sold for only 1 to 3 thousand dollars! and thats with massive wheels etc!

Anyone had a gt4 celica or have driven one?

EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 01:26 AM   #2
Doctor Sodways
South African Drift King

Most of the cost comes from compliance when you import a car, some majorthings need to be done to some cars, such as side intrusion bars and so fourth, can be worth it, but costly, a lot of cars get brought oveer, then the new owner realises what needs to be done and palms them off to someone else.

But celica GT4, 4WD, cant go too wrong with it

WWW.BRASSMUNKYMEDIA.COM.AU
Doctor Sodways is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 01:29 AM   #3
plext
Forum Director

Never driven one, but be wary of the seemingly low prices.

When I returned to Australia last year from working in Europe for four years, I brought my E39 M5 with me. The cost to send it was £1500, which seemed a bargain, considering what they are worth here.

Not so nice was the $15 000 in import duty, even though it was a personal import and I had owned and driven it for three years, which lowers the rates.

Add another couple or three thousand for for customs and handling fees, it starts to get very ugly.

All up, it was a damned pain and I would not think about doing it again. Check the fine print first would be my advice.
plext is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 08:24 AM   #4
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Sodways
Most of the cost comes from compliance when you import a car, some majorthings need to be done to some cars, such as side intrusion bars and so fourth, can be worth it, but costly, a lot of cars get brought oveer, then the new owner realises what needs to be done and palms them off to someone else.

But celica GT4, 4WD, cant go too wrong with it
From 1990 to 1992 the Celica GT4 Turbo and the 1994 Celica GT 4 Group A Rallye Pack was sold in Australia. The '94 had more power from factory and had ABS, LSD, etc.
You can pick up a 90 - 92 for half the price of a 94!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 09:29 AM   #5
tickin
FPV-Tickford Club of NSW

Yeah, they are VERY good.... My brother has the '94 model (same as in your pictures) and its a great car. He bought it already imported, but i think it had been bought over from japan.
Before this he had a skyline, when he bought that it was still in japan, but the guy that imported it sorted everything out so i cant help with any details on importing costs etc...
tickin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 12:14 PM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by plext
Never driven one, but be wary of the seemingly low prices.

When I returned to Australia last year from working in Europe for four years, I brought my E39 M5 with me. The cost to send it was £1500, which seemed a bargain, considering what they are worth here.

Not so nice was the $15 000 in import duty, even though it was a personal import and I had owned and driven it for three years, which lowers the rates.

Add another couple or three thousand for for customs and handling fees, it starts to get very ugly.

All up, it was a damned pain and I would not think about doing it again. Check the fine print first would be my advice.
yeah GT4's go alright!

but I am more interested in this M5...any pics mates?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 12:23 PM   #7
turboute
turboute

They are a great car - the engines can take about 450hp stock unopenned - It's like a 2JZ with a couple of cylinders missing. That being said stock they have 185kW - more powerful than WRX's and their engines/ gearboxes are stronger. The downside - the std Diff ratio's are a bit high so takeoff isn't as quick as it could be and there seems to be limited support for the engine over here.
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 12:57 PM   #8
F6T
Has V8 envy

One of my best mates has a gt4 celica. He has a heap of fun in it. We are always cruising around in it. Plenty of stick....good looking road stance.

GTX35/82r + 82lb injectors
Nizpro 4" exhaust
Plazmaman 1000hp IC/piping/BOV/plenum
Process West surge tank
Crow springs
TEIN super streets
6/4 brembos

TUNED BY BLUEPOWER RACING
F6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 01:10 PM   #9
MRJUCY
Fordless

They were a pretty nasty, rushed set up thing just so they coud get homologation to race rather then a properly thought out & engineered performance vehicle.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 06:42 PM   #10
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So the older gt4s dont have an LSD, thats a good enough reason to go for the 1994 one! Have nice seats too!, I really want one...
There were only 80 1994 group A's sold in Oz.

Mr Jucy: what was nasty about them? were they raced as is?

Looks like a much better car than a WRX to me.
Old 19-05-2006, 06:55 PM   #11
Des Flurane

Heavier than the Evo or the WRX so that blunts the performance somewhat.
A work colleague has a fully worked up example, I'll get him to post tomorrow to give the low down.
Old 19-05-2006, 07:54 PM   #12
MRJUCY
Fordless

The rally cars had a completely different set up, they basically raided the spare parts bin to make the GT4 all the mounting points, angles, distribution etc in the suspension & driveline is all wrong the Pulsar GTi-R is the same story cruising about the place it's probably fine but when you get up them it all goes a bit wonky.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 08:03 PM   #13
Barry_v
rocknrolla

I work in a toyota dealership and I've seen maybe two or three come in the last year. they're damn rare, which is a curse when you need spare parts. You will need spare parts too considering its 12+ years old now. The ones I've seen on the street arent overly quick either.

in the same vein as a sportivo turbo corolla, not a bad car, but not something you want to try and get parts for.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 08:30 PM   #14
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As with most 4wd cars ... gearbox woes. Yes, WRX's and EVO have problems too, but try finding a 4WD GT4 box.

Plus they are too heavy ... dampening performance. A mate had a KH 4WD Turbo TX3 (FMIC, VF22, 15psi) and munched a GT4 (modded too) at 3 sets of consecutive traffic lights.
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 11:39 PM   #15
nb_351
building the xe...

personally it think theyre overrated... nice looking car thogh, especially the four eyes model gt4... as said before, any ff origin 4wd will have box problems... and yes you dont want to attempt to find parts for it... theyre about as common as gtho originals... theyre out there, somewhere, but youll pay a mint fot them...
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2006, 04:41 PM   #16
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The oldest and lightest 160kw WRX's are 1270kg, power to weight 8.125 kg per kw
by 2001 they were 1390, 8.7 kg per kw
and now 1395 8.25 kg per kw

The 1994 GT4 is 1388 and has a power to weight of 7.8 kg per kw and is still as quick as any of these. Can get for just over $20,000.

WRX's are at their cheapest and they really arent pretty, so plain and ugly....at $14000.
They really dont compare in the looks race...

hmmm.

But yes, spares would be a problem. Toyotas are meant to be reliable though, so maybe there would be no need? Does toyotas reliablity extend to these?
Old 20-05-2006, 11:04 PM   #17
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Try replacing clutch in one of them...
Not a 1/2 day job!!!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 10:58 PM   #18
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
Just thinking about a cool car to burn around on dirt roads, as well as being a nice car for the weekdays for my wife to be. I came up with this:! I want to do autocross racing in it too. Should fly!

A 1994 Celica Gt Four Group A Rally.

Then looking around, some people have imported similar cars and try to sell them for 20,000 but dont have leather seats etc. I looked and found this from a japan direct exporter, just $5400us + $us800 shipping. How cheap is that!
http://www.japan-partner.com/images/...b5100b5abc.jpg
http://www.japan-partner.com/Auto/15...-for-sale.html

If it was that simple! Anyone know how to get one registered like some people have?! How much money are the importers making! I see those 300zx twin turbos that are sold for 14 - 20 grand here are being sold for only 1 to 3 thousand dollars! and thats with massive wheels etc!

Anyone had a gt4 celica or have driven one?
If your paying $5400 US (603,169.20 JPY) then your looking at a rough figure of $18 000 AUS to have it landed and complied.

Fees when importing include shipping, customes and agent fees, import duty, GST, stamp duty, regestration, compliance, service fee etc

Import rules are fairly tight these days and are constantly changing as there has been a huge surge in grey imports from Japan over the past 5-6 years. There wouldnt be many places that comply GT4's i wouldnt think and compliance plates would be scarce and thus costly.

Best bet would be to find a local import broker who can do it all for you (paperwork etc) and who has an agent in Japan who inspects the cars before auction, they usually charge $500-1500 brokerage fee per car but you wouldn't be able to do it yourself unless you had a lot of spare time and knowledge concerning imports.

I think there awesome cars though and certainly something different, have a look around at the various importers and see what they can do for you.
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post