Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-06-2006, 10:14 PM   #1
angelwithinvisiblewings
Very happy BA XR8 owner

Default Car ribbons...Dumb question

Can someone explain to me how to attach wedding car ribbons please?

I get the general idea just not sure how they stay in the doors.

angelwithinvisiblewings is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 10:18 PM   #2
xc 460

Tie them around your sun visors inside
xc 460 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 10:18 PM   #3
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wrap them around the internal sun visors? Thats what we did for my wedding many years ago.... Wasnt easy to maintain tension though....
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 10:23 PM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Thank goodness I have a nudge bar on the front of the Territory ... will be using the driving light mount holes to feed them through there.

Tie them well to the sunvisors ... and then tension them across to the otherside ... ohh ... don't drive too fast as it will loosen them a bit with the wind.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 10:54 PM   #5
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To get good tension on the ribbons, attach them to the bonnet striker, hold the bonnet up with your chamois case then tie them to the sunvisors then close the bonnet.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 10:58 PM   #6
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I've heard using silk ribbon is also better for your paint work.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 11:09 PM   #7
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Thumbs up

I have found the best thing to do to protect your Paint Work (if the Ribbon touches it) is to put some Clear Tape on the Panels it touches. It stops the Rub marks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 11:13 PM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Some good points there ... will be looking into a few options in a few months time for my own wedding.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 01:10 AM   #9
angelwithinvisiblewings
Very happy BA XR8 owner

Der never thought of tying them to the sunvisors. Thanks
angelwithinvisiblewings is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 01:16 AM   #10
BlackLS

Another way i've found is to pull the door rubbers off, lay it nice and tight then replace the door rubber. Loop it through the bonnet latch.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 03:18 AM   #11
MAFIA
Grange killer!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smciner1
I have found the best thing to do to protect your Paint Work (if the Ribbon touches it) is to put some Clear Tape on the Panels it touches. It stops the Rub marks.
If you use silk ribbon you don't have to do this at all.

INSURED BY MAFIA. YOU HIT US, WE KILL YOU!

FORD FTE AU T-SERIES CLUB OF AUSTRALIA
www.tseriesclub.org
MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 10:23 AM   #12
Marto GT
Phantom Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXRVIII
To get good tension on the ribbons, attach them to the bonnet striker, hold the bonnet up with your chamois case then tie them to the sunvisors then close the bonnet.

Totally agree with this method, really helps tension the ribbons well, although i did get scratched bonnet once which had to polish out about 5 times, what sort of clear tape would you use smciner1
Old 01-07-2006, 11:06 AM   #13
shane3
FPV GT 0915

Okay, I've done this many times what you need is some double sided tape 1/2" wide and some clear masking tape, You need to get some GOOD satin ribbon from lincraft of spotlight, fold the ribbon in half and tie it around the bonnet release clip,(you may want to clean the clip first as it may have grease on it) then close the bonnet so it just catches the clip (NOT closed fully), place about 20cm of double sided tape at the top of the door seal in line with the roof line (SEE PIC), make sure that the ribbon is tight on both sides, trimmed to length and then place the clear tape over the top of the ribbon, the tape SHOULD be placed level with the top of the window other wise it looks stupid, then close the bonnet carfully and that should be it. AND if you get the good ribbon it WON'T mark your bonnet. see link for pic

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=32888
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 11:25 AM   #14
EFDream
XRR83D

For my wedding and my mates wedding we've put plain ribbons on a 05 GT, 06 Clubsport, XR6T, 06 Statesman, and a Typhoon just the same way as AUXRVIII suggested and NO paint got dammaged. The Clubsport and the Typhoon got speeds of 150+ and the ribbon didn't even lose tension or rub. SO I think your pretty safe paint wise....

2007 Suzuki Swift - Pearl Red
Povo Pack

EFDream is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2006, 01:59 PM   #15
angelwithinvisiblewings
Very happy BA XR8 owner

Cheers, you know after all that I think we'll go without ribbons. I've seen a few pics with them on and I'm not sure they're really me. I'd rather people be looking at the car for what it is (a beautiful car) rather than because it's done up for a wedding.

(Bloody women always changing there mind) :P