Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 24-08-2006, 05:40 PM   #1
danny71

Angry Filling Petrol

Hey fellas and gals,

Ok I have a problem when filling up my fiesta zetec with petrol, as im filling it up it keeps clicking, like its full, doesn't matter if I pull the hose out a bit more, or put it in all the way, it keeps doing it, it's done it since I picked up the car, ive never had any car that does this, is it normal for this car?

its starting to get on my nerves, takes like 10+ minutes to put fuel in, at like 1 to 2 cents a time before it clicks off, doesn't matter with fuel or servo I use, the only time I actually know my car is full is when I see it starting to overflow, surely this cant be normal... :jab: out:

danny71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 06:06 PM   #2
goop

06 fez zetec here, doesn't do it. Get on to the dealer i reckon
goop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 07:21 PM   #3
Sonia

My Fiesta doesn't do it.... but we use to have an EL that did it. The trick is to hold the nozzle up, but this hurts your hand after a while.

Go see the dealership.... and when they say "we weren't able to replicate the problem" or "it's all within tolerance".... tell them it's not !
Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 07:40 PM   #4
photn
AFF Post NAZI

my one always does that, but i have driven 4 cars previously my dads AU fairmont series 3, my mums Nissan nomad 1992, my sisters 1994 peaguot 204xt and my sisters other car the 05 fez zetec....they all always do that, but i notice that they only do it when there nearly full, from what i have been told its the build up of pressure in the tank from the air trying to escape, thats how the pump knows how to stop otherwise it would be leaking all over your car and wasting petrol... but of course u all know that.......best thing i found to do is to when it clicks 1nce or a couple of times, pull the nozzle out but not all the way out just far enough to keep the little lip open sealing the tank...(you can see it when you remove the petrol cap) wait a couple of seconds then just start poring in again, or as mrs fantz said just hold it up so theres a gap underneath the nozzle for the air to escape..

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 08:14 PM   #5
Swaytan
Swaytan

My last Fez didn't do that & my current one doesn't, I'd get it checked out.
Swaytan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 08:18 PM   #6
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Focus does it. Fills up, then clicks. I can't put any more in it. Same problem. But It doesn't bother me as the tank is full of Juice.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 08:27 PM   #7
JD2004

I used to build petrol bowsers have had plenty of experience with this kind of problem.

two types of fuel nozzles in Australia OPW and ZVA the ZVA ones are the best you can get and are used in most petrol stations.. they tend to stuff up alot less than the less expencive OPW.

A nozzle consists of two pipes a large fuel pipe and a tiny pipe. The large pipe is for fuel and the small pipe is for the trigger release. i.e overflow valve.

When fuel comes back up out of the petrol tank you get air that sits ontop on the fuel and this air then enters the small overflow valve on the nozzle, when the air stops and the smallest ammount of liquid enters that overflow valve the nozzle shuts off as it should. i assume that inside your petrol tank as the fuel enters it may cause some sort of splashback that then hits the nozzle. also the smallest air bubble that hits the overflow valve will shut it off. The only way to maintain a constant flow is to gently apply pressure to the trigger making sure that you dont fully open it.. after testing 1500+ pumps i know exactly where the override point is.. it may take the average person 70 years to find this but it is there and can be used to successfully fill a tank at 3/4 speed of normal.

Best of luck with this problem. if you need anymore information dont hesitate to ask il be only too happy to help with most fuel bowser questions
And no you cant get more fuel than you pay for..

Luke
Old 24-08-2006, 08:41 PM   #8
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^ wow thanks for the info, man.

But anyways, I dont have that problem when i'm filling-up my car.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 09:27 PM   #9
Danny
GT4.

My Old EF did it, and My Fiesta does it, but I just dont put full open pressure on the nozzle.

Mums BA XR6 did it as well, and it was fixed under warranty. Something to do with the filler neck being on the wrong angle.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 09:56 PM   #10
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's just like making love, you need to................ ah better not post that here.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 10:41 PM   #11
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Fiesta does that I just tend to not squeeze the trigger fully. What helps a bit is put it in (not all the way in) and push down so the nose gets up. It's helped for me.
Old 24-08-2006, 11:23 PM   #12
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

Mine does it but i turn the nozzle so that to a near 45 degree angle to the rear of the car and I can use full pressure. Not as bad as my ex's Beetle, evil car it was.
Old 25-08-2006, 12:34 AM   #13
FlaminFiesta

yeah mine does it as well !! i have to press half way or slowly turn it on the side, it just a "nack" thing..
FlaminFiesta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 01:13 AM   #14
timmyTTjr
Come On Arsenal

Can't say I have had any trouble with it...

But I thought I would share this with you...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...62188397291938

I know it is google video and it has nothing to do with fuel or bowsers, but trust me. It is worth it!

Pure Gold!
timmyTTjr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 01:40 AM   #15
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Never happened with my Fez, but my old KE Laser did it a few times (not often).

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 01:46 PM   #16
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My WQ Fiesta doesn't do it but my wifes Lancer is terrible for it, when we first got the Lancer I wondered what the hell was going on with it, as the others have said I think it's something to do with air not being able to escape out of the filler neck, I now just tilt the bowser pipe slightly to allow the air out and it works fine but if I push the pipe in fully it clicks off straight away, just got used to it now, had the Lancer for 5 years with no problems other than that.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 02:16 PM   #17
JD2004

Another reason for this happening is that the left over fuel on the nozzle dribbles down across the overflow valve and as the air is attempting to escape from the fuel tank it blows the fuel back up into the overflow valve. either that or it is hitting something inside the petrol tank inlet that is making it to splash back. i.e a bend or some kind of matter left on the steel inside the tank (possibly from a weld in the manufacturing process).

Food for thought.
Old 25-08-2006, 03:51 PM   #18
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine flows perfectly all day every day
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 05:37 PM   #19
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I find it's more to do with the petrol station u fill up at not the car, either that or don't sqeeze it all the way in
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 09:07 PM   #20
danny71

Thanks all i think i will get it looked at when it goes in for its free service...I need to say though, i dont push it all the way in, i always leave a gap for air, it doesnt matter where you place it , it continues doing it, unless i only pump in the petrol at 1 to 2 cents at a time, 2hours later it might actually be filled, i never press the trigger fully, never gets that far before it clicks off.
danny71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 09:35 PM   #21
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

I've never had any problems at all, I would get it checked.

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 01:49 PM   #22
crispymk2

Mine is fine, but another point with the pumps (I work in a servo)

If it clicks off and keeps clicking off every couple of seconds you are doing something wrong... pull the handle out and look at the end and you will see the fuel release from the overflow pipe and then you can try again on a slightly different angle... dont just keep pulling it and then complain to the dude behind the counter that the pump is stuffed because its not, its just you... every single time I have gone out to check on a "dodgy" pump I have been able to get it to flow at full pressure without clicking off until full... they can be stuffed but they are probably not.

sorry had a bad day at work yesterday...