Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-10-2011, 11:35 PM   #31
80rs

Default Re: wreckers writing off undamaged vehicles

I have bought several vehicles from wreckers yards before that were there due to mechanical faults rather than body or flood damage. The last purchase was a 2006 vm transit that had a blown motor. There would be plenty of cars like that that are in for minor things and should be written off cos they have sold a wheel or stereo or something from it
80rs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2011, 12:08 AM   #32
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You wouldn't believe some of the vehicles that get written off. After the big hailstorms out at Blackwater a couple of years back, car transporters were running day and night taking away written off cars. A guy at work had a six month old Hilux twin cab, a lease car, and it had been under a carport when the storms hit. Damage was limited to a broken rear drivers side window, a few small dents on the rear drivers side door, and some on the rear right hand quarter panel. He drove it to work until the assessor saw it, and then we saw it going past the station on a transporter, written off! He said yep, the guy took a five kinute look and wrote it off. If it hadn't been a lease car, he wouldn't have even bothered the insurance company about it.

No wonder out premiums are so high...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2011, 01:05 AM   #33
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
You don't want to buy a hack from a car yard but you are quite happy to buy a hack that is so crappy the car yards don't want it?

There are several low km (40-60) BF3s in car yards down here for $10k +/-, what is wrong with that idea?
Thats a lot of money for a bare shell.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2011, 01:44 AM   #34
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
The rule is there to slow down the rebirthing industry.

Hit the nail on the head.

The low lives used to knock a car off, then head to the local wreckers, buy a wreck, transfer all the relevant numbers and parts to the stolen car and then re-register it and flog it off to the honest person.

So the law was bought in that all wreckers had to notify the transport dept of cars details that they had, so it could go onto a register (Which I believe is nation wide now), therefore not allowing these numbers to be re-used ever again.

These cars in the wreckers were also used for stat write off cars. Again, the lowlives would buy a perfectly good car from the wreckers, transfer all the details from the wrecker car onto the stat write off car and re-register it and flog it off to the honest guy, without going through the right channels.

So as bad as it seems, having perfectly good cars in the wreckers not being able to be re-registered again, the flip side is, us honest people can't be ripped off by the minority of lowlives that do exist as easy as they used to be able to.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #35
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Hit the nail on the head.

The low lives used to knock a car off, then head to the local wreckers, buy a wreck, transfer all the relevant numbers and parts to the stolen car and then re-register it and flog it off to the honest person.

So the law was bought in that all wreckers had to notify the transport dept of cars details that they had, so it could go onto a register (Which I believe is nation wide now), therefore not allowing these numbers to be re-used ever again.

These cars in the wreckers were also used for stat write off cars. Again, the lowlives would buy a perfectly good car from the wreckers, transfer all the details from the wrecker car onto the stat write off car and re-register it and flog it off to the honest guy, without going through the right channels.

So as bad as it seems, having perfectly good cars in the wreckers not being able to be re-registered again, the flip side is, us honest people can't be ripped off by the minority of lowlives that do exist as easy as they used to be able to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teak81
looked at some bf series 3 wagons. waste of money in my opinion if i am going to dump basically the whole car, save for the shell and rolling chassis. If i could of picked up a wagon for cheap with a good body that would of been the way to go for me. Any way i just wanted a cheap project car not having to pay through the nose through a car yard, and when i find a good vehicle find that the wreckers has written it off. The whole thread is about why would they write of a vehicle that obviously still has a good body. bet they wouldn't do that with any x series now days. And the car in question wasn't all that crap either it just needed two new doors on the shell, and obviously i couldn't car about the running gear( except the diff and housing).
ok now that puts it into perspective for me. shame i will have to find another avenue and buy a cheap private vehicle me thinks.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post