Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Default wreckers writing off undamaged vehicles

Went to my local wreckers today. I was looking for a au-bf wagon rolling shell. Found a nice candidate. An au wagon in excellent condition, bar needed two new doors, which there were plenty of at the wreckers. Any way walked around the front and the vehicles sticker states statuary write off, never to be re registered, for parts dismantling only.
Asked about the wagon and as the sticker stated can no longer be bought as a whole vehicle for the purpose of registering. Any way went to the next wreckers down the road asked about any wagons and was told, that if they take one part off the vehicle they are bound by law (and can cop a 500 dollar fine), to class the vehicle as a statuary write off.
So wreckers are writing off perfectly good shells, made me angry to say the least.

blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
Danny
GT4.

Default Re: wreckers writing off undamaged vehicles

Oh no, we didn't lose a couple of au wagons did we??
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
HenryFordJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Oh no, we didn't lose a couple of au wagons did we??
Haha I think there is plenty to go around..

At least you know the parts from it will be in good condition

First Car: 1972 ZF Fairlane - 351 Cleveland, FMX Auto, 9"LSD 2:92
HenryFordJr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

not just the wagons the implications are wide spread. i just don't think that they should be writing cars off that aren't technically speaking a write off.
Old 22-10-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm sounds interesting... have to ask my mate who has a wrecking yard if the rules have changed.

Sounds like a very stupid new regulation and i understand what you mean.

But i wonder if they put the sticker on the car are they writing down the VIN and giving the details to TMR that the car is no longer?? Or are they just doing it to cover themselves?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by teak81
, that if they take one part off the vehicle they are bound by law (and can cop a 500 dollar fine), to class the vehicle as a statuary write off.
So wreckers are writing off perfectly good shells,
what are you saying? the wrecker cant take a part off a stat write off?

i didn,t know a wrecker could write off a vehicle, they are only wreckers and have no autherty to do so.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
fmc351
let it burn

Couldnt it just be that they bought it as a stat write off? Ive seen plenty of vehicles at auctions that are stat write off that dont appear to have any obvious reason for it.

As for wreckers having no choice, I have no idea about.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose

But i wonder if they put the sticker on the car are they writing down the VIN and giving the details to TMR that the car is no longer?? Or are they just doing it to cover themselves?
this was my first thought
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2011, 09:40 PM   #9
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did the car look flood damaged?
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #10
MAV50L
Banned

Its not wreckers writing cars off.
Its insurance companies. They are the only ones who can do it.
Flood damaged cars as a rule are alway stat writeoffs as the real damage shows its head months down the track.
In NSW now there is no repairable writeoffs anymore. They are all stat write offs.
We can thank the rebirthing industry for this wonderful change of rules.
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2011, 09:57 PM   #11
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

I can never understand why some vehicles are written off. Sure, they arent worth anything according to market value, etc to repair. But seriously, ive come across some SWO cars that could easily be fit for RWC, where conversely ive seen some cars that *should* be SWO but are back on the road...

Confusing to say the least.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #12
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No, the OP stating the wrecking yard is putting the sticker on the car once the car has been parted out for spares....

i.e: The car arrives whole... a part is removed from the car, the car is no longer "whole" and therefor its written off.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #13
MAV50L
Banned

Its all about the dollars.
Flood damaged cars are well known to be huge dollar fixes but you cant really see anything wrong with them. Same as hail damaged vehicles.
Give it another 6 to 12 months and it will be all over the current affairs shows about people buying cars from yards with questionable morals and the cars are lemons and stuffing up left right and centre. If they trace the vehicles back they would of originally come from the Queensland and Victoria flood areas from earlier in the year.
The dodgy sharks would of got in and bought vehicles that were uninsured off people for next to nothing , bring them back , pressure wash and deodorise them chck some rego on and move them on before the true damage shows its face.
Old 22-10-2011, 10:07 PM   #14
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
No, the OP stating the wrecking yard is putting the sticker on the car once the car has been parted out for spares....

i.e: The car arrives whole... a part is removed from the car, the car is no longer "whole" and therefor its written off.
Either way, a sad state of affairs for a car that, assumingly, still has structual integrity.

Why write off a perfectly good vehicle just because its had removable (without destruction) components taken off it? Sad but true, thats all.
Old 22-10-2011, 10:08 PM   #15
MAV50L
Banned

Quote:

I am aware that is what he is stating but it is not correct.
The only way the wrecker can do anything like that is if they pick the vehicle up from a council retrieval. They can only sell as parts as even though they have the contract to pick up dumped cars for the council they dont officially have the ownership rights to the vehicle to sell it.
In this case they destroy the VIN and the car is dead.
Old 22-10-2011, 10:14 PM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
Either way, a sad state of affairs for a car that, assumingly, still has structual integrity.

Why write off a perfectly good vehicle just because its had removable (without destruction) components taken off it? Sad but true, thats all.
It's a car. It has no feelings. It wouldn't care.

The rule is there to slow down the rebirthing industry.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #17
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
It's a car. It has no feelings. It wouldn't care.

The rule is there to slow down the rebirthing industry.
Yeah.... but I have feelings

And I dont see this practice slowing down rebirthing by any means. Where ever theres a will, theres a way. I think all illegal activities live by that statement.
Old 22-10-2011, 10:18 PM   #18
MAV50L
Banned

Well I have to admit that I am wrong.
The wrecker does have to notify the rego authority that the car is being stripped if it hasnt been notified already.
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Registrati...-register.aspx

Sounds fair to me. It slows down the rebirthing industry. Really at the end of the day an AU wagon isnt going to be valued much differently wehter you get a decent running concern or a shell from the wreckers. It would actually cost you more to put a shell on the road then to get a half decent car for your project.
Old 22-10-2011, 10:21 PM   #19
MAV50L
Banned

Quote:
Yeah.... but I have feelings

And I dont see this practice slowing down rebirthing by any means. Where ever theres a will, theres a way. I think all illegal activities live by that statement.

It would slow down rebirthing a bit as the source of readily available VIN numbers and compliance plates dries up.
Look on the good side of things. The more AU's get written off the more valuable the remaining ones are.
The leyland P76 would of been the 70's equivilent to an AU.
Look at what they are worth now!
Old 22-10-2011, 10:27 PM   #20
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAV50L
It would slow down rebirthing a bit as the source of readily available VIN numbers and compliance plates dries up.
Look on the good side of things. The more AU's get written off the more valuable the remaining ones are.
The leyland P76 would of been the 70's equivilent to an AU.
Look at what they are worth now!
All it will do is increase the amount of unregistered vehicles on the road. The will & way prevails as always....At least until we are all forced to drive electric toyotas with GPS tracking systems in them. Sleeping pills would look mighty pleasant to me when that day comes...

Besides, I dont want AUs becoming rare! That would make them cost more, & that sucks!
Old 22-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #21
MAV50L
Banned

Quote:
All it will do is increase the amount of unregistered vehicles on the road. The will & way prevails as always....At least until we are all forced to drive electric toyotas with GPS tracking systems in them. Sleeping pills would look mighty pleasant to me when that day comes...

Besides, I dont want AUs becoming rare! That would make them cost more, & that sucks!

Seriously how will it increase the number of unregistered vehicles on the road?
I am fasinated on how it could do so.
Old 22-10-2011, 10:36 PM   #22
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Seriously how will it increase the number of unregistered vehicles on the road?
I am fasinated on how it could do so.
Simple, cant register a rebirthed vehicle because of lack of VINs? Easy! lets just whack some fake plates on it instead....

Not that this would really apply to the calibre of vehicle in the topic, but it just gives more reason to resist the law in different ways, thats all.

BTW, this is a tinfoil-hat theory, based on the idea of how far lawbreakers are willing to go to earn their crust...
Old 22-10-2011, 10:49 PM   #23
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Well. I was wanting a wagon ,as i have a family. and as ford doesn't make what i want in a wagon, i want to strip my xr6 turbo and put the parts into a wagon. But i don't want to buy a hack from a car yard for an inflated price, so thought the wreckers would be a good choice. But little did i know that even if somebody sells them the vehicle that they are allowed to statuary write them off. Oh well back to the drawing board.
Old 22-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #24
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
Hmm sounds interesting... have to ask my mate who has a wrecking yard if the rules have changed.

Sounds like a very stupid new regulation and i understand what you mean.

the wreckers told me that the vehicle can no longer be registered and when i asked why was told that they statuary wrote it off because an assessor would be around in a few weeks and if parts were taken off the vehicle that they could incur a fine if they did not stat write it.
Old 22-10-2011, 10:53 PM   #25
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well. I was wanting a wagon ,as i have a family. and as ford doesn't make what i want in a wagon, i want to strip my xr6 turbo and put the parts into a wagon. But i don't want to buy a hack from a car yard for an inflated price, so thought the wreckers would be a good choice. But little did i know that even if somebody sells them the vehicle that they are allowed to statuary write them off. Oh well back to the drawing board.
You don't want to buy a hack from a car yard but you are quite happy to buy a hack that is so crappy the car yards don't want it?

There are several low km (40-60) BF3s in car yards down here for $10k +/-, what is wrong with that idea?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2011, 11:09 PM   #26
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
You don't want to buy a hack from a car yard but you are quite happy to buy a hack that is so crappy the car yards don't want it?

There are several low km (40-60) BF3s in car yards down here for $10k +/-, what is wrong with that idea?
looked at some bf series 3 wagons. waste of money in my opinion if i am going to dump basically the whole car, save for the shell and rolling chassis. If i could of picked up a wagon for cheap with a good body that would of been the way to go for me. Any way i just wanted a cheap project car not having to pay through the nose through a car yard, and when i find a good vehicle find that the wreckers has written it off. The whole thread is about why would they write of a vehicle that obviously still has a good body. bet they wouldn't do that with any x series now days. And the car in question wasn't all that crap either it just needed two new doors on the shell, and obviously i couldn't car about the running gear( except the diff and housing).
Old 22-10-2011, 11:12 PM   #27
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
looked at some bf series 3 wagons. waste of money in my opinion if i am going to dump basically the whole car, save for the shell and rolling chassis. If i could of picked up a wagon for cheap with a good body that would of been the way to go for me. Any way i just wanted a cheap project car not having to pay through the nose through a car yard, and when i find a good vehicle find that the wreckers has written it off. The whole thread is about why would they write of a vehicle that obviously still has a good body. bet they wouldn't do that with any x series now days.
Go a private sale AU Wagon. They can be had for peanuts, since no one wants a wagon let alone an AU wagon....

Unless you consider $500-$2000 a lot of money.......
Old 22-10-2011, 11:18 PM   #28
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Too easy. Just buy this one:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...08#post3947308

Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2011, 11:21 PM   #29
MAV50L
Banned

Quote:
Simple, cant register a rebirthed vehicle because of lack of VINs? Easy! lets just whack some fake plates on it instead....

Not that this would really apply to the calibre of vehicle in the topic, but it just gives more reason to resist the law in different ways, thats all.

BTW, this is a tinfoil-hat theory, based on the idea of how far lawbreakers are willing to go to earn their crust...

Seriously someone who would be willing to put fake plates on a stolen car and drive it around because they couldnt get a VIN isnt real bright.
They wouldnt bother going to the effort of rebirthing a car. They would just pinch one and drive it.
Thats not the element of criminal the new rules are out to shut down.
Old 22-10-2011, 11:29 PM   #30
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Seriously someone who would be willing to put fake plates on a stolen car and drive it around because they couldnt get a VIN isnt real bright.
They wouldnt bother going to the effort of rebirthing a car. They would just pinch one and drive it.
Thats not the element of criminal the new rules are out to shut down.
Who said they had to be bright...? Either way, as you say, no one would go to the effort of rebirthing a car of this type anyway.

So to focus on the crims these rules affect, yes it will diminish the amount. But hey, like most people, theyre resilient & will find another illicit means of profiting. One thats more difficult to shut out with legislation.

I guess the main complaint from me is insurance mobs writing off perfectly usable cars for no good reason other than cost to them for repair.