Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-09-2007, 09:32 AM   #31
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting thread. I was a registered builder but dropped the tools in the 70's to pursue other interests. I bought a 20 years old house in 2004 and did a total strip-out renovation myself. I had to get a licensed builder in to do some major structural changes but I did my own hiring of tradies. The change I noticed most after 30 years was that most tradies don't seem to have any pride in their work anymore. I had to correct every one of them making mistakes due to carelessness or bad attitude.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2007, 09:50 AM   #32
protd
TUFF FORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
Interesting thread. I was a registered builder but dropped the tools in the 70's to pursue other interests. I bought a 20 years old house in 2004 and did a total strip-out renovation myself. I had to get a licensed builder in to do some major structural changes but I did my own hiring of tradies. The change I noticed most after 30 years was that most tradies don't seem to have any pride in their work anymore. I had to correct every one of them making mistakes due to carelessness or bad attitude.

the problem today with trades, is most of it is subcontracted out and the principle builder sits on his a$$ in a office with a phone attached to his ear instead of being on the tools himself making sure the quality of work is there, on that note it also comes to the consumer getting 500 quotes and taking the cheapest quote, you get what you pay for in any industry..

my tip to anyone getting anything built by any builder is find a builder that works on the tools and employs full time tradesmen, and steer clear of the builder that sits in a office making calls organizing subbies, yes he may be a little dearer but the quality will shine..

i wonder how many will jump on me for that statement
protd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2007, 09:50 AM   #33
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Dont see any drainage in the ground Lee,is that first floor carpark?
No stormater or tradewaste needed up there in tropical land?
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2007, 09:53 AM   #34
protd
TUFF FORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Dont see any drainage in the ground Lee,is that first floor carpark?
No stormater or tradewaste needed up there in tropical land?

very observant mate : , that it is, also see the step in the back wall it will come down there to keep everything neat

yes stormwater is needed keep your eye's peeled for how it all happens it has alot to do with why the block has been built up :

Last edited by protd; 02-09-2007 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:04 AM   #35
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by protd
the problem today with trades, is most of it is subcontracted out and the principle builder sits on his a$$ in a office with a phone attached to his ear instead of being on the tools himself making sure the quality of work is there, on that note it also comes to the consumer getting 500 quotes and taking the cheapest quote, you get what you pay for in any industry..

my tip to anyone getting anything built by any builder is find a builder that works on the tools and employs full time tradesmen, and steer clear of the builder that sits in a office making calls organizing subbies, yes he may be a little dearer but the quality will shine..

Well said Lee, i'm the only full time carpenter for my builder, he usually gets me to finish/make good after he sacks the blow ins.

Some of the large volume builders in Melbourne now employ quality controllers to inspect the work, the supervisors don't have the time to do it.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2007, 10:10 AM   #36
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
very observant mate : , that it is, also see the step in the back wall it will come down there to keep everything neat

yes stormwater is needed keep your eye's peeled for how it all happens it has alot to do with why the block has been built up :
Im interested to see how you guys do it.
Let me guess,a couple if strip drains?
Down here we need oil seperators for a car wash bay,retention tanks and a whole heap of other carry on just to get it passed,which is actually good in a way,its how I make my $$$ :P
I know exactly what you mean about some subbies,ATM ive stopped working on our new project to fix all the crap another so called plumber did to a block of 110,I should take pictures its that bad,Ill be there for a month.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2007, 10:15 AM   #37
protd
TUFF FORDS

car wash bays will be out the front of the block tony and will have all bullshit required.. i'll make sure i take some good pics of the plumbing for you mate..
Old 02-09-2007, 10:17 AM   #38
rodderz

Quote:

Totally agree mate, subbies will get away with what they can if no-one is there checking up on it all, and the person who checks it is only a foreman for the bigger company, if it were his things would be stricter.

I don't trust a lot of these large builders, working in estates for quite a few years now some houses are put together very shoddily. I can't see most houses getting a good run out of 30yrs or so where houses built 30yrs ago from now are still very sturdy and strong. Some builders are still seen as good but there are some who emplyee people purely for getting the work done cheaper.

I would rather pay a bit extra for an independant builder who had pride in his work, or beiong in the trade myself would organise tradies that I know to build my house ands become an owner/builder
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2007, 08:58 PM   #39
protd
TUFF FORDS

Old 09-09-2007, 09:01 PM   #40
protd
TUFF FORDS

and a few more, not allot to look at this week, i was running behind all week and did not really take pics, worked until 8pm Fri night getting steel ready for the 5am start sat to throw in the Crete, but as you can see it's in now, so the next few days are a bit of a cruise then the blocks will start getting laid on wed.. :
Old 09-09-2007, 09:10 PM   #41
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Bloody Granos and their safety thongs
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2007, 09:12 PM   #42
protd
TUFF FORDS

they never wear boots on a slab, although they have to have them for when they step off the slab..

Last edited by protd; 09-09-2007 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:20 PM   #43
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
they never wear boots on a slab, although they have to have them for when they step off the slab..
Yeah i know, it's one of those things that slips under the radar in worksite OH & C
Old 09-09-2007, 09:34 PM   #44
protd
TUFF FORDS

Old 09-09-2007, 09:51 PM   #45
Walkinshaw
Two > One

looking good. Fantsatic progress. Gotta love the safety thongs

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2007, 11:01 PM   #46
rodderz

lol... most qld tradies wear the maroon footy shorts to work each day too

Coming along good mate, must of been a bugger having all the steel in the way of screeding and floating, rather than use the helicopter over the whole lot
Old 10-09-2007, 12:12 AM   #47
savagE
Complete ****** n bogan

Is that bloke taking a ****s?
savagE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2007, 12:14 AM   #48
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagE
Is that bloke taking a ****s?
Looks like he's cleaning the screed bars
maybe by ****ing on them? lol
Old 10-09-2007, 07:28 AM   #49
protd
TUFF FORDS

he's not taking a p1ss, he's cleaning tools..

yes the starter bars are a pain in the arsse but i don't believe in putting them in later or setting them in with chem set, i believe that if you do a job you do it right, my starters are all tied into place then we poor the Crete, where the chopper cant go a mag float and steel trowel can, because it's such a pain in the arsse i go around and do it myself..
Old 10-09-2007, 07:56 AM   #50
protd
TUFF FORDS

Old 28-10-2008, 10:50 PM   #51
rodderz

These all done Leigh, how did they turn out?
Old 29-10-2008, 06:40 PM   #52
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah i'm interested about these too. I was only thinking about them the other night.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 08:47 PM   #53
protd
TUFF FORDS

sorry guys i forgot all about this thread, i will get some pics, we have one building finished, the other is about to start after xmas..

we had to go out and do some other work over the last 12 months and it pushed us back a little, will get some pics by the weekend..
Old 30-10-2008, 12:41 AM   #54
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Like the guy in this pic wearing the his highly protective safety footwear while operating the equipment
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 01:12 AM   #55
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
Like the guy in this pic wearing the his highly protective safety footwear while operating the equipment

They never do, Concrete slabs look a bit dodge with boot prints everywhere
Old 04-02-2009, 03:24 PM   #56
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hey mate
was wondering how this went??

and hows she standing up to the current flooding etc??