Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-11-2009, 04:22 PM   #31
bcky84
Starter Motor

deleted. Double post.
bcky84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 04:23 PM   #32
bcky84
Starter Motor

Blownba,

Are the Bosch platinums the "Platinum Plus" ones sold at supercheap? They come in blister packs of 6 and are labelled P1-6. They are cheap at less than $40 a set. The super plus ones (S38-6) are close to $70.
bcky84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 05:52 PM   #33
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

NGK, Bosch or Denso.
I always put a bit of copper coat (anti seize) on the threads before I put them back in.
Old 14-11-2009, 09:30 PM   #34
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
you must hate your lawn mower

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(for sale now...PM me...)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 11:07 PM   #35
blownba
LPG Forum Moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all his assistance helping members with their LPG issues. 

Yeah I never use anything on threads. If they have issues the threads are stuffed and need to be 'chased' or helicoiled.
Bosch also state to NEVER add anything to the threads. The Bosch plugs have threads plated in a nickel alloy that acts as an anti seize in aluminium and cast heads.

Yes the Bosch platinum plus are a platinum centre electrode with a yttrium ground electrode. They are a great substitute for standard plugs in almost any application. But there are applications where you need to run the double platinum's.The true double platinum's (like what i use in the BA's) have a double P in the part No. (like FR7KPP33U+). These plugs run platinum centre and ground electrodes and will last a full 150,000km like the Ford ones, BUT I never let them run that far. I always half the distances Ford say.
ie. 15,000km service interval, for me turns into 7,5000km's MAX. 150,000km plug interval becomes 75,000 or 60,000km for me. It gives greater reliability as ford are not particularly interested in making their cars last a very long time, they would loose heaps of money if they did and also servicing costs are kept to a minimum by pushing all components and oils to their maximum (and sometimes further) life.

blownba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 11:45 AM   #36
Francis

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownba
Yeah I never use anything on threads. If they have issues the threads are stuffed and need to be 'chased' or helicoiled.
Bosch also state to NEVER add anything to the threads. The Bosch plugs have threads plated in a nickel alloy that acts as an anti seize in aluminium and cast heads.

Yes the Bosch platinum plus are a platinum centre electrode with a yttrium ground electrode. They are a great substitute for standard plugs in almost any application. But there are applications where you need to run the double platinum's.The true double platinum's (like what i use in the BA's) have a double P in the part No. (like FR7KPP33U+). These plugs run platinum centre and ground electrodes and will last a full 150,000km like the Ford ones, BUT I never let them run that far. I always half the distances Ford say.
ie. 15,000km service interval, for me turns into 7,5000km's MAX. 150,000km plug interval becomes 75,000 or 60,000km for me. It gives greater reliability as ford are not particularly interested in making their cars last a very long time, they would loose heaps of money if they did and also servicing costs are kept to a minimum by pushing all components and oils to their maximum (and sometimes further) life.
Hi mate, two questions for you.

1: Have you ever used Denso and do you have any good or bad thoughts on their plugs?

2: This was the only part number Bosch told me I could use in the BA XR8. HR8DPPV15 do you know what type of plug it is?

Thanks mate!
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2009, 06:39 AM   #37
blownba
LPG Forum Moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all his assistance helping members with their LPG issues. 

1. Yes many years ago we used alot of them were I was working as they were cheap from Toyota. I never really liked them. The build quality reminded me of Champion plugs, and I HATE Champions. Never really had too many issues that I recall, the one thing I didn't like is that you had to regap every plug as the listings were not gap specific in alot of cases. Bosch will always give you a listing of a plug with the correct gap for the application so the centre and ground electrode are always square with each other.

2. The listing is for their double platinum plug. Once again I do like these plugs because of the ultra fine centre electrode provides a awesome platform for spark to jump from. I have personally seen these go head to head with a popular Iridium plug on a test bench and you can physically see the Iridium break down and begin to miss fire at around 9500Rpm. And we captured the ignition pattern on a oscilloscope and it was ugly at high RPM to say the least. The Bosch double platinum actually made it passed 16,000rpm equivalent and still ran strong.

If you want the ultimate for your car I would try to chase the new Bosch Fusion plugs. I will check for you if they have a listing for the V8.

Old 17-11-2009, 10:46 AM   #38
Francis

Thanks mate, that would be great, I'd like to try the Fusion if they make one.
Old 17-11-2009, 12:10 PM   #39
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

I'm running Autolites and have done for a while.
Most consistant plug in the NHRA techs say and Nascar's as well,80% of the field have used them for yonks.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 10:31 PM   #40
Francis

And Autolite are one of the last plugs still made in the USA.
Old 22-12-2009, 11:23 PM   #41
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Graphite grease prevents corrosion between alloy and other metals..
We use it in the electrical industry in all types of conditions...
It's messy but GOOD stuff.. On wheel nuts as well....
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 11:59 AM   #42
Francis

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownba
1. Yes many years ago we used alot of them were I was working as they were cheap from Toyota. I never really liked them. The build quality reminded me of Champion plugs, and I HATE Champions. Never really had too many issues that I recall, the one thing I didn't like is that you had to regap every plug as the listings were not gap specific in alot of cases. Bosch will always give you a listing of a plug with the correct gap for the application so the centre and ground electrode are always square with each other.

2. The listing is for their double platinum plug. Once again I do like these plugs because of the ultra fine centre electrode provides a awesome platform for spark to jump from. I have personally seen these go head to head with a popular Iridium plug on a test bench and you can physically see the Iridium break down and begin to miss fire at around 9500Rpm. And we captured the ignition pattern on a oscilloscope and it was ugly at high RPM to say the least. The Bosch double platinum actually made it passed 16,000rpm equivalent and still ran strong.

If you want the ultimate for your car I would try to chase the new Bosch Fusion plugs. I will check for you if they have a listing for the V8.
Hi mate, any luck finding a Bosch plug that is suitable?
Old 23-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #43
blownba
LPG Forum Moderator

Unfortunately there is no listing for Ir fusions for the 5.4.
The plugs listed are double platinums. I would go for them.

Old 23-12-2009, 12:41 PM   #44
Francis

No worries, mate, thanks for your help. I'll go with the DP ones.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:37 PM   #45
syco26
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Great little write up blownba. What do you recomend in the bosch range for the BAXT? Is the standard 6 plug the same as the 8? I'd like to give bosch plugs a go.
syco26 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #46
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Blownba have you had any experience with the fusion 4's? I take it that the gap can't be changed on these plugs?? They are listing F7-4 for my T3.

Any idea how they work with four points for the electrode to arch to or am i not correct with my view?

I have just put a set of ngk iridiums in my 220 xr on the weekend and that made such a difference with light part throttle openings, idle etc. I did clean the maf as well which wasn't visually contaminanted.

The plugs i took out of it were the motorcraft oringinals with 110,### on them.

Anyway i am willing to give these fusion 4's a go, they are cheaper than the NGK's to.

On a side note i will be ordering some new msd leads and coils tomorrow to go with new plugs.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #47
GYRKIN GT

NGK or Bosch, the only way to go.

However, I did hear glowing reports on Champion plugs somewhere. Oh that's right, on the LS1 forum
GYRKIN GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #48
kingyxr8
EL XR8

NGK for my Harley NGK for the falcon NGK for the swift sport NGK for lawn mower NGK for honda Whipper Snipper...
kingyxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 02:11 AM   #49
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

used iridiums on my last car (turbo).. never skipped a beat. iridiums now in the AU xr8. fixed my surging (plugs were shagged)..

21x8 doesnt make it a cheap diy though.
AUIIPURSUIT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 10:56 PM   #50
GreenWays
XA-GT

Wink NO-NO-NO- Champion

xxx I've had too many bad experiences with Champion,
Once on go fast day, 6 out of the 8 were duds, How to wreck a good time!
Been Marine Mechanic'ing for some 20 years now using NGK, and never had a problem.
That should be a good sales pitch for NGK.
Yes-Yes-Yes NGK
Cheers.

http://yourboat.wordpress.com/
GreenWays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #51
kezz90

Default Re: The great Spark plug question?

Hi guys sorry to resurect an old thread here but I have a BFII XR6 and it's started to not fire around 4000rmp. It's done 96,000km and I bought it at 75 (I don't know if plugs are still originals) so I think it'll be the plugs.

Just wondering what the best plugs are these days to put in the car.. I'm thinking NGK or Bosch but open to any others..

Also is there a specific size, etc for my car?
Prem Sound
kezz90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #52
MyForce6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezz90
Hi guys sorry to resurect an old thread here but I have a BFII XR6 and it's started to not fire around 4000rmp. It's done 96,000km and I bought it at 75 (I don't know if plugs are still originals) so I think it'll be the plugs.

Just wondering what the best plugs are these days to put in the car.. I'm thinking NGK or Bosch but open to any others..

Also is there a specific size, etc for my car?
Hey mate,

Found these at super cheap..

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...s.aspx?id=4021

I think for your car they are the F1-6.
MyForce6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #53
kezz90

cheers mate I'll check them out..
Prem Sound
Old 07-02-2012, 01:45 PM   #54
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive used Champion for decades and never had an issue, Ive heard plenty of bagging for them but. Ive never had an issue so I cant see a point in changing

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #55
prasac
Banned

NGK, Autolite or Brisk. just plain old copper NGK and Autolite. Brisk has a silver core. the yanks have been testing these in the US for a few years now, most swear by them, especially blown/turbo.
prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #56
kezz90

Hey guys, found these on ebay good buy? I checked the NGK website and this part no is recomended for my BF xr6 IRF6T11..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220950819...84.m1423.l2649
Prem Sound
Old 10-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #57
MyForce6

Chk these guys out:

I have those laser Iridiums in my Force 6 and have had no worries so far. 20,000kms.

http://www.performancelub.com/ if you want NGK's.

He's a nice guy.

Justin
MyForce6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #58
kezz90

Cheers mate I'll give em a buzz..

Also Justin.
Prem Sound
Old 10-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #59
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funny I see so many comments knocking Champion plugs...they're such an old brand you'd think they'd have a better rep.

However, in my old Kawasaki 750 two-stroke triple I use NGK plugs despite the handbook and manual recommending Champions...and this advice I got was from various two-stroke gurus over the years, as well as a recommendation dating back to magazine articles on the triples from the late seventies...so even way back then people were advised not to use the recommended Champions and use the equivalent NGK (or whatever) plugs. The NGK's seem to foul less than the Champions, and plugs sure do foul in those large capacity old two strokes, so anything you can do to reduce it happening is something keenly researched by people who own these old bikes.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: