Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-06-2007, 08:10 PM   #1
falzoony
Rockin '67

Default Premium Fuel

I'v done a search for this but I couldn't find much to answer my question, so here.

Now that petrol prices have gone down a bit, I have started to think about putting better fuel in my car, like PULP. But before I start paying an extra 10cents a litre, I want to know if it will really make a difference.

I know that performance cars are recommended to use Premium fuels, but I drive a standard AUII i6 Forte.

What differences does premium fuels make if any on a standard falcon?

'67 XR Wagon
falzoony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Well , I Use BP Ultimate and United Boost 98 ,

Both Awesome Fuels , Increases Economy and Just makes the car run smoother .

Performance wise , i dont feel much difference ,

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 08:20 PM   #3
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BP Ultimate is the best, I run Vpower because thats all thats here in 98. I think it runs better with BP 95 and a little octane boost though.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 08:33 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Makes no difference at all in an AU I6. Some people think they get better economy, but not based on any scientific basis. The I6 is tuned to run on ULP.

Putting Premium in it does nothing, other than perhaps keeping injectors clean with the additives they tend to pout in the higher priced fuels (Caltex Vortex is supposed to be very good at keeping the fuel system clean).

In the AU XR8s, you have to run at least premium, as that is what is specified, and the car will Ping if you don't (except series one, which runs on anything).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 08:34 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falzoony
I'v done a search for this but I couldn't find much to answer my question, so here.

Now that petrol prices have gone down a bit, I have started to think about putting better fuel in my car, like PULP. But before I start paying an extra 10cents a litre, I want to know if it will really make a difference.

I know that performance cars are recommended to use Premium fuels, but I drive a standard AUII i6 Forte.

What differences does premium fuels make if any on a standard falcon?
Unless your car is actually tuned (ie edit tuned) for premium fuel you probably wont feel much of a difference. However it is a better choice as it doesnt contain as much crap as your regular unladed etc. I find it is better for milage etc (i.e get more kms out of a tank of premium than regular) in dads car (AU2 I6), but in mine I have to use premium as it is an XR8, and I have had it tuned for 98 RON fuel.
Old 26-06-2007, 08:39 PM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Some relevant info from the NRMA site :

"But NRMA Motoring & Services' Jack Haley says it's a widespread but misguided belief that if you use a high octane fuel your car's performance will automatically increase.

"You won't achieve any improved performance from using higher octane fuels unless your vehicle's engine is designed for them," he says.

If you are in any doubt, check your owners manual to find out what type of fuel your engine is designed for"
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 26-06-2007, 08:40 PM   #7
falzoony
Rockin '67

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Unless your car is actually tuned (ie edit tuned) for premium fuel you probably wont feel much of a difference.
I wish it was tuned!

well thanks for your answers this has helped me out heaps.
So it looks like its a pass on the premium fuels.....untill I buy a TS50 :

'67 XR Wagon
Old 26-06-2007, 09:02 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
I wish it was tuned!

well thanks for your answers this has helped me out heaps.
So it looks like its a pass on the premium fuels.....untill I buy a TS50 :
If you can, run premium through once every 5 tanks or so.
Old 26-06-2007, 09:16 PM   #9
falzoony
Rockin '67

Quote:
If you can, run premium through once every 5 tanks or so.
Sounds like a good idea. Next tank will be premium.

'67 XR Wagon
Old 26-06-2007, 09:27 PM   #10
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've read about back to back stock 4ltr dyno runs utilising standard and higher octane fuels with a distinct 4fwkw difference in the upper rev range.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 09:54 PM   #11
Oo_xrsx_oO
t i c k f o r d

I run BP Premium (95 octane) or Mobil Synergy 6000 as oposed to their PULP variants. These give me the same KM and smoothness as the BP Utimates etc but are noticably better than using just the standard fuels (smoother acceleration and at least an extra 60km per tank)

I can't justify using BP Ultimate, Synergy 8000, Vortex etc as results are the same. I drive 600-700km per week and 90% of it is freeway so I had plenty of time and k's to work out what suits me best.

Liquid Silver / Manual / Leather / Momo Wheel & Shifter / Premium Sound / Lovells Superlows / Koni Reds / T3 Pursuit Rims / Pacemaker 4499s / 2.5 Inch Exhaust
Oo_xrsx_oO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 11:04 PM   #12
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

And to think, I was considering starting a thread asking the same kind of thing.

I might run some premium through it at some stage to give it a bit of a "clean".

I've heard that a lot of premium fuels are beefed up with ethanol, is this true? If so, which premiums are the "best" (quality-wise, I care about my engine) for the vehicle?
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 11:07 PM   #13
falzoony
Rockin '67

[QUOTE=Riksta]And to think, I was considering starting a thread asking the same kind of thing.

Great minds think alike

'67 XR Wagon
Old 26-06-2007, 11:25 PM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
And to think, I was considering starting a thread asking the same kind of thing.

I might run some premium through it at some stage to give it a bit of a "clean".

I've heard that a lot of premium fuels are beefed up with ethanol, is this true? If so, which premiums are the "best" (quality-wise, I care about my engine) for the vehicle?
I'm pretty sure that Caltex and BP guarantee their 98 RON fuels have 0% ethanol content.
Old 26-06-2007, 11:29 PM   #15
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

I agree with the JC and b2f my 99 forte running on pulp makes no difference although my s3xr8 wont run on ulp coffs and farts. NEVER LET THE WIFE PUT FUEL IN YOUR CAR
BLACKAUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 11:32 PM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKAUXR8
I agree with the JC and b2f my 99 forte running on pulp makes no difference although my s3xr8 wont run on ulp coffs and farts. NEVER LET THE WIFE PUT FUEL IN YOUR CAR
Dude! Smack her one! (j/k) AU XR8's MUST have minimum 95RON fuel, says it on a big sticker under the bonnet and on the fuel door! Get the fuel out ASAP, if there's lots of it put some octane booster in there too and dont flog it!
Old 26-06-2007, 11:35 PM   #17
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

Yeah thats exactly what i did drained the fuel tank!! it was a while ago now trust me shes never put fuel in it again she doesnt even like driving it now after the talking to she got. It felt like it was gona die. All she said was i think there something wrong with your car i tokk it for a drive. realised the car had a full tank and bigo found my problem!! she thought it was goo she then had 60ltrs of fuel for her car.
BLACKAUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 11:41 PM   #18
JoesAu

Inside my fuel lid theres a yellow sticker and it says Premium Unleaded only!! since i started using premium ive noticed a bit more economy out of the car and it runs nice and smooth,

NEVER FILL UP WITH APCO FUEL That is the worst s h i t its like water and made my car freak out and my mates VY run like crap like cutting in and out.
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2007, 12:45 PM   #19
janek
Ripping it up

it depends. Driving around the city will be stuff all change. I have noticed on the highway if i fill up with ULP i get at most 650km. PULP i average 750km. Once even up to 880km.

Same roads, dead of night, all within a few weeks of each other Average speed via trip meter is 98kph. I do have a VCT, but i dont think it makes a diff for the 6s.

Scientific basis or not, thats proof enough for me!
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2007, 01:29 PM   #20
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Ethanol content should be declared at the pump. Sounds like you have a problem with ethanol. I understood it's good for keeping the fuel system clean (as long as your hoses etc are ethanol-tolerant) as it dissolves gummy deposits that petrol leaves behind.

I use United Boost(?) 98 which is only 3c/litre more than their standard ULP because the octane is boosted with ethanol, when I'm not running LPG of course.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2007, 02:31 PM   #21
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
Ethanol content should be declared at the pump. Sounds like you have a problem with ethanol. I understood it's good for keeping the fuel system clean (as long as your hoses etc are ethanol-tolerant) as it dissolves gummy deposits that petrol leaves behind.
I don't have a problem with it as such, just that I've heard its not really the best stuff to be putting through the engine.

I'm not very mechanically minded so I wouldn't really know one way or another, but at the time what I heard seemed credible.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that Caltex and BP guarantee their 98 RON fuels have 0% ethanol content.
Thanks, I'll look into it when I'm ready to run a tank of 98 through!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2007, 02:46 PM   #22
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Ethanol is a cheap octane booster. At 10% or less concentration, it will not do any damage to your engine.

Old 27-06-2007, 03:29 PM   #23
falzoony
Rockin '67

Just looked on my fuel cap and it say 'Unleaded Fuel only' does this mean that premium would be bad for it?

'67 XR Wagon
Old 27-06-2007, 04:05 PM   #24
Oo_xrsx_oO
t i c k f o r d

Quote:
Just looked on my fuel cap and it say 'Unleaded Fuel only' does this mean that premium would be bad for it?
Running premium won't hurt mate, like has been mentioned a few times running the odd tank gives everything a bit of a clean out.

I find a difference running 95 RON over the standard unleaded (91 RON) but get the same results on the 98 as 95 octane. Don't expect a big difference by putting one tank in, I think best results (running smoother and more k's) are acheived through regular use.

Liquid Silver / Manual / Leather / Momo Wheel & Shifter / Premium Sound / Lovells Superlows / Koni Reds / T3 Pursuit Rims / Pacemaker 4499s / 2.5 Inch Exhaust
Oo_xrsx_oO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2007, 05:14 PM   #25
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
No, it means unleaded generally, as opposed to leaded fuel or LRP, so as not to wreck your cat. As neither of those are available any longer, the sticker is redundant, except for the seriously challenged who might contemplate fuelling with diesel.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 27-06-2007, 05:23 PM   #26
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
I don't have a problem with it as such, just that I've heard its not really the best stuff to be putting through the engine.
The oil companies have been pushing that line for 80 years now. As JC says, at low concentrations it won't hurt your engine, although it can over time eat away at fuel lines & connections that aren't ethanol-resistant. AFAIK cars built in the last 5 years or so have ethanol-compatible fuel systems.

In some countries they blend ethanol into petrol at 10%, 15%, 24% and even 85% concentrations, which do require specific tuning. Brazilian cars have a "Flex-fuel" system with 3 separate fuel tanks and fuel-specific tunes stored in the cars' ECU's.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 27-06-2007, 05:42 PM   #27
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I run BP Ultimate in my ute now, can't say it's made a difference in performance (it's tuned), or economy for that matter at the moment (LPG just got taken out and I'm having fun with extra throttle now)
Old 28-06-2007, 03:28 PM   #28
No Judge
That's Numberwang!!!

I used 95 RON (Shell Unleaded 95 as it was back then) since it came out at my nearest survo. But then I filled up with Optimax (98 RON) as there was no 95 RON, drove down a freeway and got 900 kms out of my tank!!! (Had previously got 700 kms out of 95 RON) Since then I've been converted. 98 RON for my VCT.

As for power increase.... Dunno.

Something else....
Ive been told that the RON of fuel is taken when the fuel is still in the refinery (hence, Research Octane Number). By the time it gets out to the pump (? Pump Octane Number) it has lost a bit of octane. So that 91RON at the pump is around the 88-89 mark, 95RON is around the 93-94 mark, and 98RON is around the 96-97 mark. Doesn't really make sense to me, but its just my 2 cents + GST

FAIRMONT GHIA: SO GOOD, THEY NAMED THEY NEW FALCON AFTER 'EM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6 ausome
Nah the roads to high, your car can never be to low lol
No Judge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post