Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-07-2007, 04:19 PM   #1
lubeit
Starter Motor

Default AU ABS light and other issues...

Gday,

Im after a bit of advice on the AU. Im looking to buy a wagon and have checked a few out. One im looking at looks ok but im concerned about a couple things:

1. The ABS light is illuminated on the dash. Whats the best and worst case scenarios for that and how much should I budget to attend to it?

2. Looking under the oil fill cap, the rockers look a bit dirty. The dipstick showed the oil to be dark and the owner said the oil hasnt been changed for a while. The engine however, runs smoothly and quietly and seemed to be making good power when I gave it a bit of a boot. Do you think I should be overly concerned with the colour of the oil and rocker gear? The car has done 200 000kays.

3. Is there any way to check the auto trans fluid?

4. Are there any other issues I should be looking at for an AU?

Thanks for your assistance.

lubeit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
howesy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At 200K the oil will always be black between changes. Min has been changed every 7500 with a filter and hasn't got that many K's and it goes black so if its smooth not blowing blue smoke or heavy black smoke then no worries.
The ABS light is usually a dirty or faulty sensor. They collect a lot of metal filings on them. usually if you clean the rings and sensors its no drama. It wont affect your brakes at all you just wont have ABS (wheels can lock up).
At 200K it is not uncommon to be prepared that the radiator may need replacing shortly if not done already. I have known them to develop leaks anywhere from 125K to 250K.
Other than that get some one to go over it for you for reassurance.
Hope some of this helps, they are generally pretty reliable.
howesy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 06:33 PM   #3
lubeit
Starter Motor

Default Thanks howesy

Thanks for the tips howsey. It is appreciated.
Old 17-07-2007, 07:57 PM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as for the tranny you need to get dirty for this there is no dipstick just a filler on the side
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 08:13 PM   #5
lubeit
Starter Motor

Default Thanks au3xr6

Thanks for the tip au3xr6,

If I end up getting an AU ill buy a gregorys manual for it for more info.
Old 17-07-2007, 08:17 PM   #6
blacklabel

Hi lubeit,

My AU Futura has done 254,000km, and runs very well.My engine oil stays quite clear between changes,certainly light amber at worst, which is pretty good for the km's.So I wouldn't be too worried about "black" oil hiding any gremlins- especially since you say it runs smooth,quiet and with power.
I would certainly be doing an oil/filter change after a good engine flush.And air filter,plugs and fuel filter would certainly be worth looking at too, if the car hasn't had a service for a while.Makes such a difference as the km's get higher and higher.

Even if the auto drives smooth and sweet, I would get the fluid changed when you can too,as it is likely it hasn't been changed for a while too-as with the engine oil.The autos are sealed units and don't have a dipstick-but you can check the fluid level by getting underneath and dipping your fingers into the reservoir-a bit of a pain-I left it to my mechanic to do all that stuff!
The autos are great-providing you keep up good,regular servicing.
One thing to look for on the autos is leaks coming from the seal on the rear housing(propeller shaft end), as they tend to become oval after time,and hence begin to leak auto fluid-and the level doesn't have to drop much on them to really badly affect performance.
I have just had my rear housing replaced and also the gaskets on the 2 side housings,which can leak after a while also.

Worth having a wee squiz at the alternator too,for general condition and charging ability.(a sparky can do a loaded/unloaded test in a couple of minutes and maybe only $20)

So my advice is if it doesn't smoke,has good compression,and doesn't have tell-tale leaks from the auto- then chances are,with a good service and a bit of TLC you should get plenty more great motoring from the 'ol AU!

Good luck!
blacklabel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 09:18 PM   #7
lubeit
Starter Motor

Default Thanks blacklabel

Thanks for the detailed post blacklabel, the info is very helpful.

cheers.
Old 17-07-2007, 10:32 PM   #8
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BTW lubeit I just noticed you're new here. welcome to the forums if you need to know anything you'll find someone here has an answer. you got any mods planned?
Old 18-07-2007, 11:16 AM   #9
lubeit
Starter Motor

Default au3xr6

Yeah Im new to the forum. Already its proving to be a wealth of information!

regarding mods, firstly I have to actually get myself an AU!!

Once i finally get one, ill sort out any maintenance issues and drive it for a bit, then see what the options are for mods. I may go for the lpg at some stage if i can find a reasonable quote. During my research I rang a few lpg installers and had quotes for an AU wagon lpg mod ranging between 3300 and 3900 bucks!! that government rebate has obviously had an effect on install costs!

Anyway, I'll post back when I find myself a car.

cheers.
Old 18-07-2007, 11:33 AM   #10
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubeit
Yeah Im new to the forum. Already its proving to be a wealth of information!

regarding mods, firstly I have to actually get myself an AU!!

Once i finally get one, ill sort out any maintenance issues and drive it for a bit, then see what the options are for mods. I may go for the lpg at some stage if i can find a reasonable quote. During my research I rang a few lpg installers and had quotes for an AU wagon lpg mod ranging between 3300 and 3900 bucks!! that government rebate has obviously had an effect on install costs!

Anyway, I'll post back when I find myself a car.

cheers.
depending where you are you can do better than that you should be able to get a decent system for under 3K
Old 19-07-2007, 01:09 PM   #11
lubeit
Starter Motor

Default Engine number

Hi all,

I had a bit of a search of the site but could not find any info about where the engine number is located on an AU. Can anyone help me?

Thanks again
Old 19-07-2007, 01:32 PM   #12
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

It's on the engine, down low under the manifold on the passenger side. Not the easiest thing in the world to see/find.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2007, 02:24 PM   #13
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not on the AU JC it,s no the drivers hand side at the back about 2/3 the way down check this post for a pic http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...1&postcount=10
Old 03-09-2007, 09:52 AM   #14
davor
Starter Motor

Cool

Hi Guys,
Anyone knows why AUIII shakes (steering wheel especially) when breaking at +100km/h. Even slight push on the breaks at that speed causes a car to shake?? Could it be faulty ABS? If so, any idea how to fix it and how much would cost me the fix?
davor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2007, 10:44 AM   #15
howesy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davor
Hi Guys,
Anyone knows why AUIII shakes (steering wheel especially) when breaking at +100km/h. Even slight push on the breaks at that speed causes a car to shake?? Could it be faulty ABS? If so, any idea how to fix it and how much would cost me the fix?
Warped rotors my friend, the brake pedal should also have a pulsation through it.
howesy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2007, 01:32 PM   #16
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

here is an article by DBA that may help http://www.dba.com.au/2006/techdocs/T026.asp