Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-07-2007, 12:01 PM   #1
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Default Kevin Sheedy becomes next coaching casualty

http://sportal.com.au/default.aspx/A...casualty-31908

Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #2
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Perhaps they were just holding out to give him that record.

Been around long enough to know it was going to happen. Its about time, surely it would get a bit dry having the same coach for so long.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 12:10 PM   #3
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our season isn't looking good, but it's far from over. We can still make the finals, so I don't understand why they would have sacked him and not waited until season conclusion. He can still get us over the line. Smells a bit like Waughs request to step down. He came out and scored 100. I hope for Sheedy and Hird, they go out on a high. At least let Kevin finish out the season.

I wonder whether Sheeds will end up at Richmond.

What a bummer
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 12:13 PM   #4
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As fas as rumours goes, he is apparently he wont see out the season an will leave before the next round. I dont understand why they would get rid of him now and not wait, if they werent happy with him they should of got rid of him last year. Coming from an Essendon supporter, I highly doubt we will make the finals this year and we have one of the hardest runs for the end of the season.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 12:15 PM   #5
whiskieboy

I personally dont follow AFL but I always thought he was Football Royalty,sort of like Sir Alex Ferguson etc. I cant believe they sacked him,why not hang on till the end of the year have the sending off he deserves at the Grand Final etc. not just give him the flick, very cruel.
whiskieboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 12:17 PM   #6
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskieboy
I personally dont follow AFL but I always thought he was Football Royalty,sort of like Sir Alex Ferguson etc. I cant believe they sacked him,why not hang on till the end of the year have the sending off he deserves at the Grand Final etc. not just give him the flick, very cruel.
Completely agree, I see no advantage in getting rid of him straight away. Must be someone within the club taking over. Whos the assistant?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 25-07-2007, 12:19 PM   #7
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3ts50
As fas as rumours goes, he is apparently he wont see out the season an will leave before the next round. I dont understand why they would get rid of him now and not wait, if they werent happy with him they should of got rid of him last year. Coming from an Essendon supporter, I highly doubt we will make the finals this year and we have one of the hardest runs for the end of the season.
I agree. I don't think the dons will get to the finals, but there is always hope.

He should stay to season end. After 27 years, I think he's earn't it. Will be a sad day to see him coach his last Dons game.
Old 25-07-2007, 12:23 PM   #8
2002xr6

its a load of long live the sheeed

2010 xr50 turbo manual with the works!
2002xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 12:26 PM   #9
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002xr6
its a load of long live the sheeed
Probably half the reason his going, looking rather tired ..jk
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 25-07-2007, 12:27 PM   #10
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I found this out earlier this morning, and was mentioned in the Pagan thread earlier.

While I HATE Essendon and think too many supporters are spoiled, whiny brats, I think Kevin Sheedy has been shown complete disrespect and the board's statement on MOnday night was nothing but lies.

The man has been there for 27 years and yielded four premierships. That is a premiership every 6.75 years, which is an excellent record. Although coaches like Parkin have better records, Sheedy has changed Essendon immensely.

On MOnday night, the board (Graeme Duff) said that Sheedy's position would not be looked at until season's end. What a load of crap.

I think it has been done to lure Mark Harvey back to the club as finally, he's actually a chance to lead a club, whether it be Fremantle, Melbourne or Essendon. Mark Thompson will also be looked at for the Essendon job, although I believe he'll stay at Geelong, and I like that. I wrote to GFC in early 2004 stating my support for Thompson and from then on, we finished 4th. Great season.

But Sheedy has been treated poorly here.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 12:31 PM   #11
herbs

Well he's had a pretty good innings, but it seems weird that he'd be shown the door now. But anyway, onto better things. Go Cats!
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 12:36 PM   #12
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here is the article. My statement earlier was incorrect due to misinformation. He will remain until the end of the season, therefore he hasn't been "sacked" effective immediately (which is what the headline implied). His contract will not be renewed at the end of this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald Sun
I knew I was gone: Sheedy

Mark Robinson and Matthew Pinkney

July 25, 2007 10:23am

ESSENDON coach Kevin Sheedy was sacked this morning after 27 years at Windy Hill. And hundreds of angry Bomber fans have slammed the move within minutes of Herald Sun online breaking the news.

The veteran coach, 59, was called to a 10am meeting with football staff including list manager Adrian Dedorio and club champion James Hird.

But he revealed today that he knew his 27th season at the helm was likely to be his last.

The Essendon board want him to coach through to the end of the season - and potentially into the finals - and Sheedy has indicated he will do that.

Bomber chief executive Peter Jackson said the board's 'difficult' decision was taken on the basis of the need for a three-to-five year plan for the club.

And he said Essendon had to move immediately to ensure the club was able to select the best of the available coaches before they were snapped-up by rivals.

Sheedy - who cracked jokes and made asides during Jackson's address to the media today - said he had discussed his future with Essendon officials in January and was aware this season was likely to be his last.

And he said he understood the club's need to establish a medium-term strategy and to jump into the coaching auction that will develop in the coming weeks.

''There will be four jobs in the market and you know this club has to get on with making the next decision, it's a pretty important decision for the club to make," Sheedy said.

The 10th-placed Bombers' next match is against Adelaide at Telstra Dome on Sunday.

They need to win at least four of their remaining six games to qualify for the finals for the first time since 2004.

If they fail to finish in the top eight, Sheedy will walk out of Windy Hill having coached the Bombers 635 times, second only to Collingwood legend Jock McHale, who coached the Magpies in 714 games from 1912-49.

Among those likely to be on the club's shortlist to replace Sheedy are Neale Daniher, a former Bombers' best and fairest winner who was dumped as Melbourne coach last month.

Current Geelong coach Mark Thompson is another favourite son at Windy Hill, having captained the Bombers to the 1993 premiership.

Although the Cats currently sit two games clear atop the ladder, Thompson is out of contract at the end of the season.

Fremantle caretaker coach Mark Harvey and Brownlow medallist Michael Voss are also in the frame.

The 10th-placed Bombers' next match is against Adelaide at Telstra Dome on Sunday.

They need to win at least four of their remaining six games to qualify for the finals for the first time since 2004.

Sheedy is second on the all-time coaching list behind Collingwood legend Jock McHale, who coached the Magpies 714 times from 1912-49.

Sheedy made his name as a player at Richmond, representing the Tigers in 251 games from 1967-79, including three premierships.

He replaced Barry Davis as Essendon coach in 1981 and led the Bombers to four premierships in 1984, 1985, 1993 and 2000.

Sheedy is the fourth AFL coach to be axed in recent weeks after Neale Daniher (Melbourne), Chris Connolly (Fremantle) and Denis Pagan (Carlton).
Old 25-07-2007, 12:38 PM   #13
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Even so, I dont understand the need to announce it at this point, cant it wait until the end of the season?

I would struggle to give 100% to a team/company that I knew I was leaving within a few months.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 25-07-2007, 12:41 PM   #14
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Even so, I dont understand the need to announce it at this point, cant it wait until the end of the season?
Get the gate takings up at home games.

At least they are letting him finish out the season. Who will replace him?
Old 25-07-2007, 12:44 PM   #15
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Get the gate takings up at home games.

At least they are letting him finish out the season. Who will replace him?
As I said, Harvey or Thompson. They'll go with a favourite son who has experience. They won't touch Voss or Liberatore. Gary O'Donnell is also a chance. Just my opinion.
Old 25-07-2007, 12:46 PM   #16
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A melbourne supporter at work says Pagan :
Old 25-07-2007, 12:48 PM   #17
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Forgot about Pagan (already!).

Yeah, he is a chance, but I still think Essendon will try to pull Thompson away, as well as Mark Harvey. Essendon's first preference will be a favourite son. Sheedy was a Richmond man (bet nobody knew that :P).

Pagan would be a good chance for the Melbourne job as I do not think he'd want the Fremantle job.
Old 25-07-2007, 01:21 PM   #18
J.O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal

I would struggle to give 100% to a team/company that I knew I was leaving within a few months.

Sheedy doesn't seem like that type of person.

It was bad enough hearing that hird was leaving now sheedy gets the chop :

It almost brought a tear to my eye, all I've ever known is sheedy as couch, Now I'm just ****ed!

If they bootd him out the door, he certainly didn't deserve it!

All i can say is that i hope they can get harvey back to take his place, or the very least daniher, i couldn't stand pagan or connoly as couch.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 01:55 PM   #19
phoon
BOLLOCKS

Im not an Essendon Fan (go the Hawks), but I hope they keep Sheed's until the end of the year. It doesnt matter which team you follow, you have to admire the bloke. He has been an ornament to not only his club, but to foootball as a whole. Never afraid to speak his mind and a mentor for god only knows how many generations of young kids coming through. I wish Kevin Sheedy all the best in whatever he does after his coaching career is finished. He is a true champion in every sense of the word.

Cheers

Jeff
phoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 02:08 PM   #20
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.O
Sheedy doesn't seem like that type of person.

It was bad enough hearing that hird was leaving now sheedy gets the chop :

It almost brought a tear to my eye, all I've ever known is sheedy as couch, Now I'm just ****ed!

If they bootd him out the door, he certainly didn't deserve it!

All i can say is that i hope they can get harvey back to take his place, or the very least daniher, i couldn't stand pagan or connoly as couch.
Didn't know Sheedy could be sat on :P
Old 25-07-2007, 02:28 PM   #21
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only thing I see wrong with this is- who could do a better job than Sheedy? The only guys that stack up to me are Pagan, Malthouse, Matthews or from left field Blight. Most of the others available to me just dont have the complete package to replace Sheedy and coach/promote to the level he has. After all his years service I think this has been very poorly handled by the board, if they knew this was going to be Sheedy`s last year at the start then put it out to the public and let it be a year to celebrate all his years of great service to the Bombers and AFL in general. Should pull out all stops and try and get the former president Graham? McMahon back also as Mr Horsley is like a rabbit in the headlights with the media and doesnt project the image of the club very well.
Old 25-07-2007, 02:49 PM   #22
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A sad day for the Bombers, a fantastic bloke and as good as it gets in the coaching ranks, and probably the games most influential and important person over the past 27 years, a role model and embassador for the AFL, indigenous rights, and the well being of the game, but a couple of points:

1) "Apparently" he was offered a 1 year deal but declined it,

2) He wasnt "sacked" so much as told he wouldnt be considered for the role next year

3) The club has announced it now to give fans an oportunity to celebrate his fantastic career and farwell him over the final rounds.
4) expect to see a big name Ex club player with experience at the helm next year.

Old 25-07-2007, 03:17 PM   #23
KBBossedXR
GetBlown or GetBlown Away

Its a sad day for football as a legend like Sheedy cant be replaced when he leaves the game.
He has known this was coming since the start of the year and the decision to announce it now is so the public, players, other future coaches are all aware of what is happening.
Maybe Sheedy could take over running the tribunal, umpires, AFL board and get the game back on the right track.
Just as long as Essendon head hunters dont go for a drive down to Geelong looking for Bomber Thompson as he is a required man at the Cats and if the Cats even think about letting him go, they will be waiting till 2063 if we dont win this year for our next Premiership.
KBBossedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 04:58 PM   #24
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroked67
Its a sad day for football as a legend like Sheedy cant be replaced when he leaves the game.
He has known this was coming since the start of the year and the decision to announce it now is so the public, players, other future coaches are all aware of what is happening.
Maybe Sheedy could take over running the tribunal, umpires, AFL board and get the game back on the right track.
Just as long as Essendon head hunters dont go for a drive down to Geelong looking for Bomber Thompson as he is a required man at the Cats and if the Cats even think about letting him go, they will be waiting till 2063 if we dont win this year for our next Premiership.
I expect thompson to stay, espicially if they take the flag.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 05:07 PM   #25
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Too much pressure on coaches and not enough on players IMO.
Two of the most successful coaches in recent history gone in a week ?
My bet is a new coach makes no difference at all.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 05:14 PM   #26
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Too much pressure on coaches and not enough on players IMO.
Two of the most successful coaches in recent history gone in a week ?
My bet is a new coach makes no difference at all.
Very true, i think there needs to be more public accountability placed on the players for on field performances, the coach ultimately takes responsibility and blame, but the coach cant play the game for them...
Look at Freo for example, how can 1 week and a new coach make that much difference...? the players should be fined a % of their seasons pay for not supporting thier coach and sand bagging..

Old 25-07-2007, 05:18 PM   #27
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He will be sorely missed. It would nice to know that he retained some kind of position in the club. But I still feel that Wallace will go and Sheeds will take over at Richmond.
Old 25-07-2007, 05:19 PM   #28
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Sheeds hasn't been sacked. He will continue through to the end of the season, when his contract was due to expire anyway - the bombers are just not going to renew him.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 06:21 PM   #29
rodderz

Sheeds said the other day that coaches get too much glory when things are going great and too much blame when they aren't, I reckon the coach can only do so much and the players have to perform on the field what he instructs them.

Maybe the Essendon board should of kept quiet and let him announce his retirement at seasons end if they didnt want him coaching next year, it would of been a fitting end to what he has given them.
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 06:46 PM   #30
XRchic
Hello

As rodderz said and you can contrast AFL to cricket. In cricket, the captain and the players are the ones in focus and the coach is hardly mentioned! Did you hear much about the Aussie cricket team's coach during their many years of success? Or was it Ponting and co who everyone looked too?

I think the coaches are put on a pedestal in AFL and its bad either way, whether the team is winning or losing. I reckon AFL players do need to take a lot more responsibility for winning and losing games - some of them just dont take any responsibility at all and they end up like Jeff Farmer, Alan Didak and numerous others... they are just like spoiled children.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post