Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-05-2005, 09:18 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Anybody here a Service Advisor?

Some may remember I left Ford Spares to pursue a different career path which wasnt exactly what I had hoped for. Im now in similar work but seriously considering a return to Ford (if its possible) but this time in a more customer/client orientated area, i.e. as a Trainee Service Advisor.

Thought of this for 2 reasons:-

1-Having been on both sides of the fence (i.e. customer and employee) I can see both sides of any arguments that may arise.

2-I enjoy working with people, and learning about cars, and making sure everything goes as well as it should.

So does it sound like the right move to make (if i can make it)?

If anybody here is a Service Advisor or has a similar role in a dealership, I would love to hear from you!
Old 27-05-2005, 09:59 PM   #2
xr8-ute
Starter Motor

I'm not having a go at you but don't you need a good understanding of cars from a mechanical point of view to be a Service advisor. I don't really understand how you can do a traineeship to become a service advisor. I thought that they would have worked there way up from a mechanic to a position like that, that way they have a good idea of how the servicing and mechanical repairs works to that they can then advise of what needs doing an relay what has been done to the customer. Correct me if i'm wrong but thats what i thought the job role of a service advisor was.
xr8-ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2005, 05:20 PM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Most of the service advisors i know are ex mechanics. In saying that however there is one young fellow at my dealership who isn't a mechanic. He however only deals with the bookin side of things and really isn't a service advisor.

I also know that most dealers expect new recruits to go thro the different departments like pre-delievery etc before they become of any significance, especially if they haven't already been established in that field.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2005, 08:14 PM   #4
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Service advisers are only the go between. They don't need to know that much about cars to be able to handle the job. Customer has concern or service to be done, adviser records it on RO, tech carries out the work, adviser writes up the bill then bullshits to the customer. IMHO the less advisers know about cars the better, no driveway shotgun diagnosis.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2005, 08:49 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

All fair points and from what I understand the role of a Service Advisor is to:

*Ensure all work carried out is to the specifications of Ford and or the Customer
*Ensure all work carried out is documented, detailed and signed off
*Act as a mediator for any disputes that may arise over work done or not done
*Ensure the customer and their vehicle gets the best possible treatment (this is often neglected unfortunately)

It is possible to do a traineeship as a Service Advisor, they are not always available however I'm willing to try and get into it. Obviously part of that would be training in mechanical skills and I dont claim to be anywhere near competent with the inner workings of cars, but I do know how to deal with people properly and ensure that everything is all above board and done well. As I understand it, that is the main role of a Service Advisor (please correct me if I'm wrong).
Old 30-05-2005, 08:41 PM   #6
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

I would'nt mind being a Service Advisor either. All the ones I have met a Fraud know Jack Squat, so I doubt they are "highly trained personnel".

Its a shame, coz everytime I've gone in there asking for advice, I usually get a blank look, Homer Simpson style.

If it ain't on the computer, then your problem does'nt exist.
Old 30-05-2005, 08:45 PM   #7
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
All fair points and from what I understand the role of a Service Advisor is to:

*Ensure all work carried out is to the specifications of Ford and or the Customer
*Ensure all work carried out is documented, detailed and signed off
*Act as a mediator for any disputes that may arise over work done or not done
*Ensure the customer and their vehicle gets the best possible treatment (this is often neglected unfortunately)
Don't get too carried away there. Remember, Ford's (or anyother make) dealerships just wan't high turnover, easy jobs. Anything outside of the square and they quickly run out of talent. Either they can't/won't fix it.

Not in all cases, but I've yet to be satisied with any Ford service center.
Old 30-05-2005, 08:56 PM   #8
Psycho Chicken
Banned

All my advisors are qualified mechanics, thought it was part of the job.

Seeing what they go through....ahhh, no thanks.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2005, 08:59 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

Hmmm well due to some contract negotiations today it seems a return to Ford may not happen for a while, it would be pretty silly to walk out what I landed today to start all over again.

It is however still something Id very much like to pursue in the future, mainly because of what you just said - a lot of people have a bad idea of Service Advisors, Id like to be able to regain some trust from the public.
Old 30-05-2005, 09:05 PM   #10
Psycho Chicken
Banned

You'll go in with that attitude, but after your 5th customer going off their nut at you because of some useless mechanic out the back who doesn't care cause he's working for peanuts anyway....
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2005, 09:41 PM   #11
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Yeah, I agree. Theres no way I'd want to be a service adivsor. Having worked at 2 ford dealers I know what they go through. All the service advisors I know are mechanics. It certainly makes life alot easier, knowing what you're on about. Quite frankly I would much rather be a salesman than a service advisor.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post