Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-07-2007, 10:10 PM   #1
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default mr sheen

chewing the fat with a mate today , he was telling me he started up a conversation with an old fella in a car park , the topic was the old fellas vc commodore paint finish the paint was amazing for its age he reckons (original) when asked what he did to keep it looking so stunning, the old fella replied he uses mr sheen on the paint work, anyway my mate talked to someone else about and they reckon its good for to make it look nice, but any repairs needed to the paint will need to go back to bare metal ,just wondering can anyone confirm this or shed some info, do any members use mr sheen?

mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 10:15 PM   #2
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

MY work mate goes over his HR Holden ute with mr sheen all the time. He swears by it, and boy it shows as the original paint is amazing.. Dunno bout repairs and having to take it all the way back to bare metal.. I mean..why?

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 10:20 PM   #3
2smooth
xygtho

but is the paint enamel?? being original and all. maybe it works good on the older types of paint but maybe not 2 pak or 2k. well the como would be acryilic maybe?? (sp?)
2smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 10:20 PM   #4
alstar5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
chewing the fat with a mate today
Come on mate it's a public forum!!!!
2014 - 2014: AUII Futura SR
2015 - 2015: Kawasaki Ninja 650RL
2016 - 2016: Kawasaki Ninja 300
2018 - 2018: VZ Holden Commodore
2019: FG G6 Falcon
alstar5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 10:28 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordowner
MY work mate goes over his HR Holden ute with mr sheen all the time. He swears by it, and boy it shows as the original paint is amazing.. Dunno bout repairs and having to take it all the way back to bare metal.. I mean..why?
not sure mate he seems to think it will get down into the paint some how.
Old 29-07-2007, 10:30 PM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2smooth
but is the paint enamel?? being original and all. maybe it works good on the older types of paint but maybe not 2 pak or 2k. well the como would be acryilic maybe?? (sp?)
not sure on that one either.
Old 29-07-2007, 11:06 PM   #7
Kryton

wonder how this would work on faded paint?
might buy a can tomorrow and test a patch on the old faded ZL Fairlane.
would be interesting to see what happens.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 11:14 PM   #8
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

I use it in the engine bay. Nothing sticks to it being silicone based and works very well. Oil stains wipe off the enigine and wont stain, in fact nothing sticks to it. You are right about painting though. It is impossible to paint over it and needs to be sanded off. WOnt harm any sort of paint but best on newer paints and wont make old paint new.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 11:24 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

weird, never heard of it. id imagine it applies some sort of almost a lacquer though hence why it would have to be sanded off?
Old 30-07-2007, 12:09 AM   #10
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
weird, never heard of it. id imagine it applies some sort of almost a lacquer though hence why it would have to be sanded off?
Just a silicone which is almost impossible to wash or clean off. Repells water very well. Paint will not stick or penetrate, even after a few months. It just disperses and seperates

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 30-07-2007, 12:18 AM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Just a silicone which is almost impossible to wash or clean off. Repells water very well. Paint will not stick or penetrate, even after a few months. It just disperses and seperates
so theoretically you could buy a new car, coat it in Mr. Sheen and have it looking 110% for ages?
Old 30-07-2007, 12:26 AM   #12
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Theoretically you could! Only problem is though it does protect really well but it does look slightly dull and doesnt have that deep gloss of new paint and good quality polish. In the engine bay jst spray and wipe every now and again. Thats why its brilliant in the engine bay ..... and also under the rear quarters.

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 30-07-2007, 11:28 AM   #13
jcxr
Tribal Elder

This stuff is also handy for spraying rear quarters, when drag racing as it stops rubber sticking to the paint.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2007, 06:04 PM   #14
DA68ZA

Always spray the front of car when going on a trip , bugs just hose off at other end . Old interstate ownerdriver told me years ago , works a treat .
DA68ZA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2007, 06:13 PM   #15
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I used to Mr Sheen the front of my roadbikes, it made cleaning the bugs off very easy, i actually got the idea from a secondhand bike dealer who used to do it to the bikes to keep them shining.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2007, 06:40 PM   #16
XTGTinterceptor
Falcon Mad

Ok you guy's painter here, Mr sheen Is fantastic for protecting the paint and giving the most outstang streak free shine. I will not however restore paint, with enamel it shouldnt go chalky as it doesnt remove anything to surfase it adds. Now as for snding you'd be bad to sand it as the silicone will build up on the sand paper and clog it adding further injury you rub it in all the way to the end. The only way to stop silicon is to not come in contact with it at all. Having said that if you choose to use it and you need a repair then copiuose amounts of clean rags and prepsole wax and grease remover will remove the silicone. But[I][U] silicone floats, it can be transfered by touching where it is and be put to where it is shifted to. so heres the senario, you spray it at home in the garage say, now the s*it float into avery nook and cranny. All over you, the car, the garage, and then inside the car when you sit in it, then inside the house then, and the, , you get the idea. so then you decide to have some work done for what ever reason and then you go down to the panel shop get out of the car and shake the hand of the bloke, bang now he's contaminated and as you got out of the car silicone is floating into the work shop. The workers ahvn't even sat in it yet to move into the shop to start work. an it goes on. so you dont have to take it back to bare metal but you do have to be carefull how you use it and clean everything after contact and prior to taking to anywhere to get work done and by all means never choose to paint anything at home. Besides that you wont find a better protctor and shine bringer upperru! use at own risk. work can be done it just can be a bit of a nightmare that's all. But just thin, car yards use silicon tyre shine that flicks everywhere and silcone based interior cleaners and engine bay presentations so panel beaters are dealing with it constantly. all the best ,Cheers.
XTGTinterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2007, 08:08 PM   #17
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Excellent information fordhoard. Thanks for the facts
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2007, 09:08 PM   #18
XTGTinterceptor
Falcon Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR David
Excellent information fordhoard. Thanks for the facts
CHEERS buddy!
Old 30-07-2007, 09:44 PM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordhoard
Ok you guy's painter here, Mr sheen Is fantastic for protecting the paint and giving the most outstang streak free shine. I will not however restore paint, with enamel it shouldnt go chalky as it doesnt remove anything to surfase it adds. Now as for snding you'd be bad to sand it as the silicone will build up on the sand paper and clog it adding further injury you rub it in all the way to the end. The only way to stop silicon is to not come in contact with it at all. Having said that if you choose to use it and you need a repair then copiuose amounts of clean rags and prepsole wax and grease remover will remove the silicone. But[I][U] silicone floats, it can be transfered by touching where it is and be put to where it is shifted to. so heres the senario, you spray it at home in the garage say, now the s*it float into avery nook and cranny. All over you, the car, the garage, and then inside the car when you sit in it, then inside the house then, and the, , you get the idea. so then you decide to have some work done for what ever reason and then you go down to the panel shop get out of the car and shake the hand of the bloke, bang now he's contaminated and as you got out of the car silicone is floating into the work shop. The workers ahvn't even sat in it yet to move into the shop to start work. an it goes on. so you dont have to take it back to bare metal but you do have to be carefull how you use it and clean everything after contact and prior to taking to anywhere to get work done and by all means never choose to paint anything at home. Besides that you wont find a better protctor and shine bringer upperru! use at own risk. work can be done it just can be a bit of a nightmare that's all. But just thin, car yards use silicon tyre shine that flicks everywhere and silcone based interior cleaners and engine bay presentations so panel beaters are dealing with it constantly. all the best ,Cheers.
good on ya thanks for that.
Old 30-07-2007, 10:05 PM   #20
nb_351
building the xe...

the same principle is used with rainx etc...
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2007, 10:27 PM   #21
XTGTinterceptor
Falcon Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA68ZA
Always spray the front of car when going on a trip , bugs just hose off at other end . Old interstate ownerdriver told me years ago , works a treat .
dude love the avtar its suprising how few people rember morph, he's cool.
Old 30-07-2007, 11:18 PM   #22
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

see http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=85333
Old 30-07-2007, 11:56 PM   #23
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We used to use it on the dirt bikes all the time, never thought about it with the car!
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post