Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 11-01-2008, 02:03 AM   #1
FezBoy
Fez good. Wez better.

Default Stiffer springs?

I've got a 2005 Zetec and the ...roll... when cornering is pretty disconcerting - especially with the seats not having much in the way of side-bolsters.

I'm assuming that the Zetec has slightly stiffer springs than those on the rest of the Fiesta range. Has anyone swapped standard Zetec springs for Eibach or something similar? Does it affect the overall handling very much? Does the general ride get any worse that it is now - it's pretty crashy already. How much do they drop the ride height by?

I like the way the machine handles mostly - it's just the roll that gets me. But I don't want to solve the roll and turn it into a donkey.

Any feedback / suggestions would be much appreciated.

Gave my 2004 Fiesta Zetec to my mother-in-law.

Drive a Westfield SEiW now: No roof. No windows. No doors. No ABS. No ASC. No EBD. No power brakes. No power steering. No cruise control. No radio.

Got: 600kg, 300hp, R888s.

FezBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2008, 08:02 AM   #2
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

You might also consider upgrading the anti sway bars rather than the springs, if it's the roll you're concerned with
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
photn
AFF Post NAZI

there isnt much in the way of sway bars. the only thing would be an XR4 sway bar. Eibach only do springs.

Ives - a member on here - lowered his Fiesta LX on eibachs and the car handles exeptionally well.

i Would also add a strut brace or change your bushes to Polyurathene ones.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had King Springs in the Zetec and Iv'e now got Eibach Springs in the XR4

The King's felt harder and made the car more "bouncy" on stock shocks than the Eibach's do.

IMO get some Eibach's from European Parts in Germany, the Oz Dollar is very strong at the moment so you will get a good price on them, only thing is you will need to have PayPal set up to pay for them.

I recently got mine delivered by airfreight to my front door for $340 all up, took a little over a week to arrive, if your willing to wait a bit longer you can get them sent by seafreight economy and save a bit more, should cost about $270 if they are sent that way.

http://www.european-parts.net/catalo...roducts_id=729
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2008, 02:42 PM   #5
Als_Zetec
Rated G

Howdy

correct me if I'm wrong, but the WP Zetecs have the same springs as the rest of the WP range. It is only on the WQ and XR4 that the springs are different to the rest of the range.

FezBoy, I agree, the ride can be a little rolly especially if you are running bends one after another. The high centre of gravity on the car plays a bg part in it too, not just the springs.

Cheerio

Ali.
Als_Zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 12:48 AM   #6
FezBoy
Fez good. Wez better.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm not sure what I'll do about it just yet - considering options at this stage.

It's not a really big problem - just sometimes as I'm leaning my way through a long bend I wonder whether I'm in the Fez or my wife's Territory Ghia luxo-barge (the seats are better in the Tez, though)

Gave my 2004 Fiesta Zetec to my mother-in-law.

Drive a Westfield SEiW now: No roof. No windows. No doors. No ABS. No ASC. No EBD. No power brakes. No power steering. No cruise control. No radio.

Got: 600kg, 300hp, R888s.

FezBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 01:48 AM   #7
Ben85

I just put King Springs in my WQ Zetec and took it for a bit of a joy ride you might say, and i love the way they feel, the car seems to handle much better than it did on the stock springs. It is a bit harder the ride, but i like a hard ride when im driving, tyres at 39 PSI etc (dont like tyre roll). But yea they lowered the car about 35mm, and i'm lovin it.

Interior:- MOMO Blue Leather Gear Knob, Window tint, Scuff Plates, ST Black & Blue Leather seats, Soundstream Amp & 5x7 speakers, Sony Headunit, Pioneer sub & Amp.

Under the Hood:- Superchips ECU Flash Tune, Denso Iridium plugs, KV85 Magnecor Leads, BMC CDA Induction.

Exterior:- Spoiler, clear side repeaters, Lowered (35mm) King Springs, Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar, 2" cat back exhaust with a dual conversion, Konig 17" Hotswap with Kumho Rubber, HID's.
Ben85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 03:25 AM   #8
Als_Zetec
Rated G

39 PSI? Sheesh! That's a heck of a hard ride!
Als_Zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 08:18 AM   #9
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

WP Zetec does not handle better than WP LX, WP Ghia, WQ LX nor WQ Ghia.

The stock Fiesta handles VERY well in the first place.... adding some suspension mods only makes it even better. Eibach Pro-Kit springs & Wiechers-Sport strut brace are highly recommended.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 09:57 AM   #10
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Where are you located? Im selling my Koni suspension stuff if your interested, koni springs and koni adjustable shocks.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:32 PM   #11
Ben85

Yea 39PSI, i'm in it to have fun, feel a lot safer when there is plenty of pressure in the tyres. Otherwise you can hear them tryin to roll under, not a nice sound :S

Interior:- MOMO Blue Leather Gear Knob, Window tint, Scuff Plates, ST Black & Blue Leather seats, Soundstream Amp & 5x7 speakers, Sony Headunit, Pioneer sub & Amp.

Under the Hood:- Superchips ECU Flash Tune, Denso Iridium plugs, KV85 Magnecor Leads, BMC CDA Induction.

Exterior:- Spoiler, clear side repeaters, Lowered (35mm) King Springs, Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar, 2" cat back exhaust with a dual conversion, Konig 17" Hotswap with Kumho Rubber, HID's.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:15 PM   #12
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Which tyres have you got on the Fiesta, Ben85?
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 06:16 PM   #13
Ben85

Still got the Continental Conti Sports that come on it as standard. 195/45R16