Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-05-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Thumbs down Race au auto playing up again!!

Guys.I have a problem with the new 4 month old gearbox.It has kevlar bands ,super duper clutches.
Has anyone experienced this?...
I want to know so when I front up to my box builder that I know what is happenning. After being on the freeway today I gave it a bit of stick to hit the speed limit. After I slowed down and at light throttle the box free revved then banged into gear.This is at light throttle.Also after driving it light throttle for a while it feels like it slips like in neutral then goes back into gear. Also the shifts are not hard but feel like a hestate to get into the next gear some of the time. Under full throttle the car goes well.The problem seems mainly at very light throttle.Any ideas?

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2008, 07:16 PM   #2
HLC
Audi S3

i think you need a new gearbox builder.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:22 PM   #3
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds a bit like how my Camry gearbox felt during it's last couple of years. :(
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

How's the fluid level?????
This can be a sign too.
Maybe you unluckily may have a dodgy solenoid ... they can fail.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2008, 07:49 PM   #5
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I think you may be right mechanic. Originally it slipped in between all gears.I took it back and they replaced the s5 solenoid.Its has been good apart from occasionally this problem. I dont want to pay for another box again.I called the guy this arfternoon and sounded willing to have a look.So I hope they do the right thing. It seem the wagon's problems dont want to go away sometimes. I have been driving it easy too.Only hard driving is once at the track.That was without a burnout too.I have also kept an eye on the trans temperature with the gauge I fitted a few months back.Its been running cool temps.
Hope they fix it.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again

Last edited by Stav; 02-05-2008 at 07:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-05-2008, 08:01 PM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I have been meaning to add a temp gauge for the auto.
Although I think I am going to stop the mods on the ute ... lets just say I think it may be time for an upgrade for me .... will see what happens in the next few months.

Mine has been going strong .... but the cooler mornings now I am finding theh shift is a tad sluggish probably due to temps. I am still a bit off my servicing time for the auto ... so I might just check fluid levels first and see how it goes.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2008, 08:27 PM   #7
Stav
Smile

I know it may sound strange but even though I have been compiling more info on going faster I am very reluctant to mod farther because I need the car on the road. Reliabilty is my biggest priority now.

The wagon goes fast..very fast when it is necessary. However business is starting to climb up again and the wagon has to keep going. Down time for the wagon is money I am losing .

Old 03-05-2008, 10:08 AM   #8
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Get it sorted by the dude who built it, remove it, sell it and then fit a manual box.
You'll have much more fun, and less problems.

Rick.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:37 AM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Get it sorted by the dude who built it, remove it, sell it and then fit a manual box.

Rick.
Agreed!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2008, 01:19 PM   #10
Black XR
Narooma blue XR8 ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox

Rick.
agreed as well
Black XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2008, 01:25 PM   #11
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Less problems with a T5? The BTR's must really be a pile of crap
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2008, 03:22 PM   #12
Stav
Smile

I have done manual conversions before a long time ago. Ill probably need a different flywheel,pedals,box,clutch bell housing etc. I dont really want to spend any more on the car ..the xr6t's are seliing for 19000 nowadays.Cheap as chips..

Old 03-05-2008, 04:54 PM   #13
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthAu
Less problems with a T5? The BTR's must really be a pile of crap
Big crap.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:27 PM   #14
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
I have done manual conversions before a long time ago. Ill probably need a different flywheel,pedals,box,clutch bell housing etc. I dont really want to spend any more on the car ..the xr6t's are seliing for 19000 nowadays.Cheap as chips..
Fair enough, XR6T's are a good thing, but they have the same autos. Except for the laters ones, which have the same crap auto with 2 extra ratios.

Just make sure you get a real gearbox when you trade.

BTW, I thought you had some personal targets with your current car? That's why I suggested a stick shift.

Rick.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:09 PM   #15
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my tricked up BTR doesnt HARD when shes cold.. think it may be somthing built into the ECU or somthing??

i think one of your solinoids or pistons in the box is buggered
it seems to be doing what my other box is doing (which im selling if anybody is interested its in the For Sale section) ..

the shop quoted $600 without looking at it.. maybe more if other stuff was broken..

it is a part that is NOT replaced during a rebuild as it is a hard part not a soft wearing part etc

good luck mate! let us know how it goes
Old 03-05-2008, 10:26 PM   #16
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Fair enough, XR6T's are a good thing, but they have the same autos. Except for the laters ones, which have the same crap auto with 2 extra ratios.
the newer 6-speed box are a ZF box not a BTR like the 4-speed and are alot better i think youl find...
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2008, 10:29 PM   #17
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggaclint
the newer 6-speed box are a ZF box not a BTR like the 4-speed and are alot better i think youl find...
Agreed. ZF's are a looooong way from a clunky BTR.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 08:37 AM   #18
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
I know they are worlds apart technically, and are claimed to be a much superior box.
However the two vehicles I've driven with the 6spd showed much the same flaws as the old box. Flaws that I can't live with, and of which take so much enjoyment away from the feel of a sport-ish car.

Rick.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:48 AM   #19
Stav
Smile

What is a stick shift? Is it a gear stick? Ive never driven down the 1/4 in manual. I just put it in drive and floor it down the 1/4

Old 04-05-2008, 01:47 PM   #20
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a stick shift is just another name for a manual...
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 06:57 PM   #21
Cam
Stroking it...

Interesting posts here, I am not sure i'd chuck a T5 behind my stroker, so i guess i am stuck with the "crap" BTR. Despite me killing only 1 BTR in 2 years. but anyway...

If it was slipping in all gears it'd appear its more likely fluid / S5 related, so i dont think itd be terminal.

Good luck mate, hopefully the issues don't continue for you!
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 07:08 PM   #22
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
a stick shift is just another name for a manual...
"Stick shift" is a term which has as much of a place here as "Mom" and apple pie. Just call it a manual please...
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #23
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
"Stick shift" is a term which has as much of a place here as "Mom" and apple pie. Just call it a manual please...
So whats the correct Australian term for apple pie?
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 08:16 PM   #24
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthAu
So whats the correct Australian term for apple pie?
B E E R
Old 05-05-2008, 09:47 PM   #25
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hart Transmissions in Brendale QLD makes a customised T5 box..
they put different bearings in that eliminate the shaft float so the teeth stay where they are suposed to and take a HELL of alot more abuse

BI6TIM got one .. was just under 2k installed i beleive
Old 05-05-2008, 10:37 PM   #26
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
Hart Transmissions in Brendale QLD makes a customised T5 box..
they put different bearings in that eliminate the shaft float so the teeth stay where they are suposed to and take a HELL of alot more abuse

BI6TIM got one .. was just under 2k installed i beleive
Yep, sounds very interesting that one - I think it was around the $1500 mark IIRC. I'll be watching his car eagerly!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2008, 11:21 PM   #27
Stav
Smile

The car went in last Friday and it was missing 1/1/12 litres of oil.No leaks..no oil in t he water? I dont think enough oil was pumped in in the first place. Then they proceded to charge me for the use of their scan tool ....today it happened again.
I rang them up and they said it sounds like the inhibitor switch and that it is not part of the box or under warranty. What sort of recoed box and what type of warranty is this? I nearly gave up many a time due to bodged workmanship and parts. I am also going to buy reading reference material on how to build automatic transmissions because I am sick of the vast amount of full on fwits in Sydney who dodge their responsibilities and dont do things properly.. I dont even want to go back for servicing even though I am risking losing any warranty..but then again what sort of warranty is that?

I am going to buy a blown transmission from the wreckers and learn on it.

Old 19-05-2008, 11:26 PM   #28
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that's the best way to do things i think, see how it works and then go about making it work better lol....

seriously tho, it really sucks to hear how much trouble you have been having with such seemingly simple things on this car...it's also bad for places like that to you around sorting out things that should have been right from the beginning
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2008, 12:00 AM   #29
Stav
Smile

Mistakes happen...i understand that but when it comes to warranty it would be a refreshing change if people just fixed things without trying to dodge their obligations

Old 20-05-2008, 12:45 AM   #30
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
Mistakes happen...i understand that but when it comes to warranty it would be a refreshing change if people just fixed things without trying to dodge their obligations
Stav, you can do all the internal mods you like on these BTR boxes, but if you don't at least fit dipstick tube, then you are wasting your time. The thing that kills more autos than anything else is lack of fluid. How do you check the fluid? Not easily without a dipstick. The roughly $300 or so it costs to get this mod done will save you big $$$ by allowing you to keep an eye on the fluid level and condition.

As for the workshop - they did the inside of the box, not the inhibitor switch - there's nothing you can do to strengthen that part, and it is a wear and tear item. Again, you can check it yourself, and give it a clean out with WD40 or RP7 or similar, and it usually comes good, unless it's really stuffed.

I share your frustration with the box, but don't blame the auto tranny place for a wear and tear part wearing out - that would be like blaming the brake place because your pads were wearing out.

And yes, the low fluid is a worry, but if it's been getting hot, and you haven't been checking the condition of the fluid, then 1.5 litres out of a capacity of 10 is not a huge loss, and may have been burnt off, or broken down due to excessive heat.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post