Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-11-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Anyone built a Cobra recently?

I'm wanting to get a start of my next long term project. Does anyone know of a good reputable Cobra kit supplier preferrably in Victoria? Have any laws recently changed that make it harder to get kit cars registered? Is there anything I should watch out for or steer clear of when buying a kit?

How do the fibreglass shells hold up? I had a fibreglass body kit on a car once that cracked all over the place. Do the cobra shells suffer from the same type of problems?

Thanks for any tips.
Mike.

BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 10:10 PM   #2
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

there is a very reputalble company called python cars or something like that in south/port melbourne
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 10:10 PM   #3
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i seen a few nice drb 540's over this forum . Had no expierence at building one but hope to some day

http://www.drbsportscars.com/

also if you search this forum it will bring up the drb 540 build thread.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 10:29 PM   #4
homegrown
hotshot

first bit of advice i can give is "are you sure you want to build this car? and good luck"
a friend built one last year but rules are getting tougher so get straight in there.
Ac cobra of adelaide can help you with bare body and chassis 08 83814801 looking around 10grand. my friend used EBXr8 motor but now it states it has to be 2000 so AU is required (these are just rules in adelaide so it may very over there) but its reading material for you. he's done his own labour so just parts have set him back 50grand. then the hard to find parts, brakes he managed to grab XYGT. a big rule change is that vin number has to be stamped into the actual chassis you could before have it on a plate a put onto the chassis but thats changed. make sure thats done otherwise you waste $200 going to the rego dept. other rules which had changed a dash mat has to be used, the lights dimed in the dash, reflectors on the car...
then there's custom upholstery, windows.. very expensive.
sorry im not trying to deter you its worth it in the end. my mate has the biggest smile one ear to the other when he drives it.
Old 24-11-2008, 10:31 PM   #5
homegrown
hotshot

oh and full exhaust. after its registered take the bloody things off. thats how all cobras should be. straight out the side.
Old 24-11-2008, 10:32 PM   #6
WindsorXR
FGII XR6, Focus Sport, XR

Yeah, id be pointing you towards DRB as well.
I've heard that soon there will be some new laws coming in the next couple years that'll possibly cripple the kit car industry. My Dad has built a Westfield(Clubman) kit car, he is a quarter the way through a GT40, which he isn't going to finish as the guy involved getting no where. So he will be selling all the parts he has collected and is thinking bout doing the new shape DRB Cobra with the BA-BF XR8 interior, suspension, engine and gearbox. It's about $22,000 for the cobra body and the you could probably pick up a damaged write-off for around $12,000 from the auctions.

I think with fibreglass bodies, you just have to make sure the surface is well prepared before applying paint. Also watch out for warping from previous moulds. If you buy from a reputable designer you should be alright with the warping part though.

For any more ideas there is an actual magazine i think is called kitcars or something along those lines.

Good luck.

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

BA XR8 Build Thread (SOLD)
1966 XR Falcon Build Thread

Last edited by WindsorXR; 24-11-2008 at 10:47 PM.
WindsorXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 10:37 PM   #7
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DRB cobras are pretty good. My brother built one two years ago, Jag rear end, RHS chassis and inj 5.0ltr.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 11:14 PM   #8
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is the 540 that me and bossxr8 were talking about. basically an xr8 transformed in to the shelby concept car.

I love it and plan to build myself when funds allow.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 11:34 PM   #9
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

all pretty good quality not but theres only one to have the- Weineck Cobra mmmmmmmmm
Old 24-11-2008, 11:43 PM   #10
WindsorXR
FGII XR6, Focus Sport, XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
This is the 540 that me and bossxr8 were talking about. basically an xr8 transformed in to the shelby concept car.

I love it and plan to build myself when funds allow.
Thats the one!! Looks alright and a full build would be under $50,000 i reackon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd dad
all pretty good quality not but theres only one to have the- Weineck Cobra mmmmmmmmm
Good luck paying for that one! It'd be a fair learning exercise to try and handle those things as well.

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

BA XR8 Build Thread (SOLD)
1966 XR Falcon Build Thread
WindsorXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 12:18 AM   #11
stavros68

you can't put the windsor in you have to put the latest quad cam motors or ls1/2 to pass emmission laws unless you lpgas it
stavros68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 10:11 AM   #12
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

I think the regs changed very recently - I know a mate of mine had to rush his GT40 rep build to get it through rego with an AU Windsor (had to be a post-2000 engine)... If he left it any longer he was going to have to look at a Lexus V8 or a modular...

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 03:38 PM   #13
blackwood
FiSTed

If you've got the coin Ol' Shel' is still making Cobras.
http://www.shelbyautos.com/CSX4000.asp

Otherwise, go DRB, Robnell or Python.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Said on Mt Panorama
Man if this track were in America it would be illegal!
blackwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 04:32 PM   #14
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stavros68
you can't put the windsor in you have to put the latest quad cam motors or ls1/2 to pass emmission laws unless you lpgas it
you can in QLD.

off the DRB website

Quote:
The Queensland Government have just reversed the decision to not allow ADR 37.01 motors to be used after January 1, 2008.
This means that 1999 or later model Australian and 1993 or later USA motors can be fitted to Cobra and GT40 replica vehicles in the future.

Instead of being limited to the current Ford 5.4 litre Boss motor (as fitted to BA & BF XR8, GT, GTP & Pursuit Utes), there are a range of economic motors that can now be used in ICV’s registered in Queensland.

Suitable motors include the 5 litre Windsor (as fitted to 1998 to 2002 Falcon AU models), 4.6 litre Mustang Quad Cam (as fitted to 1996 to 2004 Mustangs) 4.6 litre Quad Cam Supercharged motor and for those seeking a low budget project, the 4 litre Lexus can be used in the award winning DRB Cobra chassis.

The 5 litre Windsor motor has always been the most popular motor for Cobra’s and GT40’s as it is very compact in size and there are a large amount of after market performance parts available. It is the same motor that was used in the Ford Gulf GT40’s that won Le Mans in 1968 and 1969 and it is a development of the 289 cu in Windsor that was fitted to the winning Shelby Cobras of the early 1960’s.

In summary, the DRB Boss Cobra with a wide engine bay can accommodate all of the above noted motors, while the DRB Cobra that can be built on a much lower budget, has a narrower engine bay that can accommodate the Ford 5 litre Windsor or the 4 litre Lexus and for Chevy enthusiasts the Gen 3, LS1 V8 motors.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 11:05 PM   #15
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

The black GT40 with Mustang 4.6 Cobra engine with turbo fitted, recently in Zoom was helped through EPA by Hittman in Penrith..The back of that car IS all engine!! Same rules ??
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post