Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-01-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
Valid8
COOGES

Default Elite extended warranty

I just bought the wife a Ba Futura wagon and also purchased a 3 year Elite warranty. Has anyone heard of them?, it seems like a good deal and I wonder if there are any catches. :

Valid8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Read the warranty completely.

Many are scams that only cover things that never break but require you to have constant expensive servicing done at the warranter's nominated workshop.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
Valid8
COOGES

The only requirement they say is you have to get regular servicing done, at your own mechanic and post in the stamped proof to elite, seems ok,..... I hope.
Old 17-01-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have a look at whats really covered and how. These type of warranties often state they will cover $xxx for the life of the warranty and take fair wear and tear into account.

For instance, they may say we will cover a total of $600 for the A/C, if the compressor fails, this is a $1K+ job they will say the cars done 100,000k's and the comp is 50% worn so we will cover $300 and you pay the balance, leaving $300 in the 'A/C kitty'.
If say the evaporator fails later on (another 1k repair), they will say $300 left, fair wear and tear @ 130,000k's is 70% and they contribute a small amount to the repair.

I've had three cars with these type of warranties thrown in for free* (I would never buy one) and in all instances, i've made claims and this has been the case. Not saying the Elite brand is like this, but I wouldn't be surprised.

* Some dealers automatically cover all cars by these warranties and won't remove them if you say no, take the money off the selling price.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2009, 09:52 PM   #5
Valid8
COOGES

It will be interesting to see if it was worth the $$$$
Old 17-01-2009, 10:30 PM   #6
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Elite warranty

Hi all I bought an XH ute six months back and it came with a 5 year Elite warranty like you said about the servicing yes you have to as mine was over 10 years old I have had to get it serviced every 3 months or 5k whichever comes first so far I havent had to claim John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2009, 10:41 PM   #7
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can do a bit of a search here on the company back-ground .. http://www.search.asic.gov.au/gns001.html
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2009, 11:33 PM   #8
Valid8
COOGES

It would be good to hear from someone who has made a claim.
Old 18-01-2009, 02:14 AM   #9
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

I had a warranty similar to this.
Though my perception, is that it's publicised just like standard Ford Warranty, but it's very limited on what they cover.
Most of the time, a warranty claim will only be allowable up to $1000. So if the gearbox craps itself, you have to pay the balance what is over a $1000.

Now, I had to get my car done every 3 months (or 10,000k's), if I missed one, warranty period is null.

However, this last service, I was a bit late in getting it done, but it was organised last year. Hmphh, get a letter in the mail saying by the 2nd of Jan, warranty is null and void, due to the fact it wasn't serviced.
But hang on a minute, I already organised it, for a service just a few days before xmas, but for it to be physically done on the 8th or jan.
Dept's don't talk to one another.

Now, this service centre is just on 10k's away. It's a pain in the bum to get there and back.

For what it's worth, warranty is warranty, but the pain to make a claim, loose the car for a week and have to chase it up, and being 10k's away, is just not on my agenda.

So I have decided to not renegotiate the "miscommunication" of service warranty from this mob. The pain isn't just worth it (for the $1000 per claim).

Hey Cooges, who was driving the 4WD the other day (6:30am-ish in the morning heading on the FWY)?
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #10
Valid8
COOGES

A 4wd? Was there one with similar plates to COOGES? With this warranty I only bought it because it has 2 tiers. First tier is $200 - $500 per claim, the second tier is $1200 -$2600 per claim. I opted for the 2nd level of cover, just hope its all above board.
Old 18-01-2009, 06:06 PM   #11
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Hmm, I have(had) extended warranty with costs of $1000 covered. It doesn't say whether that is parts only or parts and labour. In my opinion, this is just not worth it.
Old 18-01-2009, 06:12 PM   #12
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i ave seen these warranties come up from time to time, as stated read the fine print to see what is actually covered the more expensive components are not covered - for example they will cover wires but not switches or electric motors? and dash instrumentation is also not covered. I was offered this once at a cost of 1.5k, read what is and what isn't covered and I told them to cram it with walnuts.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2009, 06:45 PM   #13
Valid8
COOGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
Hmm, I have(had) extended warranty with costs of $1000 covered. It doesn't say whether that is parts only or parts and labour. In my opinion, this is just not worth it.
Thankfully this warranty says " parts and labour ", so we will see.
Old 18-01-2009, 07:09 PM   #14
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think Elite is the best aftermarket warranty available as is was created by the MTA.

My mate who is a car salesman told me that but make sure Elite was created by the Mta, if so then ur sweet.

And just make sure to follow the conditions of the agreement. I think u hace to servide the car every 3 months or 5000kms which ever comes first and u will be ok.
mickyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2009, 08:56 PM   #15
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bought an elite extended manufacturers warranty for my porsche. An associate done a transmission in his X5 which ended up costing around the $7K mark for a replacement. He tells me elite covered everything.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2009, 10:20 PM   #16
Valid8
COOGES

Its good to hear some good results about the elite warranty, just hope I dont have to use them.
Old 18-01-2009, 10:52 PM   #17
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll confirm if Elite is established by MTA for you in the next couple days when i see my mate.
mickyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2009, 11:17 PM   #18
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOGES
A 4wd? Was there one with similar plates to COOGES?
Yeah, had COOGE on the plate. Think its was a Prado or a Mitsy.
Like a goldy brown/grey colour??
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2009, 11:22 PM   #19
Valid8
COOGES

Bit of a coincidence being so close to us.
Old 19-01-2009, 12:00 AM   #20
TadKa
Wait? What?

I got one of these warranties when I bought my ED. It was my first car and pretty much cost me all my dough. 3 days after I bought it the fuel pump crapped itself. No worries I thought I've got the warranty. When I made the claim they said. "Sorry your only covered for a mechanical fuel pump" of which the ED of course doesn't have... Bonza. There goes a few hundred bucks I didn't have. Of course the dealer didn't want to hear about it.
TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2009, 01:26 AM   #21
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They're a waste of space. Save your money. They'll cover things like "mechanical breakdowns" but not seals gaskets etc.

So if you put a rod through your block no worries. But if your brake booster blows its diaphragm its a seal and then you're farked.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2009, 01:34 AM   #22
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i got 2 years of Elite with 24 hour breakdown service, havent had any problems yet but i did get a flat battery once and i was offered a jump start. soon after they called back and said no one was available to come out with a jump pack but they then offered me an all expenses paid towing which i was quite impressed by. i believe in the contract they say that they dont cover things that are just general wear and tear.
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2009, 01:00 AM   #23
86XFFairmont
No Car Too Low Too Tow!

ahh elite warrenties lol we have the melb contract for em so piece of mind that the guys towing it know what there doin and are equipped for lowered or LOW cars, havent had one in a while tho and dont mind just doin a jumpstart either.
Old 20-01-2009, 01:10 AM   #24
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86XFFairmont
ahh elite warrenties lol we have the melb contract for em so piece of mind that the guys towing it know what there doin and are equipped for lowered or LOW cars, havent had one in a while tho and dont mind just doin a jumpstart either.

great!
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 02:08 PM   #25
Bingo_244
Mitsubishi Owner

After googling a bit on this company, this is one of the few references I've found to date.

Here is my dilemma.

I own a Mitsubishi (And no, that isn't why it broke) and the AWD Transmission went on me, 2 days after buying it. Lucky I had a warranty! It got replaced and all was sorted, I was happy, Warranty company didn't give me any troubles, I was happy!

Last Thursday the gearbox died again.
Car had to go back to original mechanic to seek repairs, and here's the funny things.
He sold his business, so the new owner doesn't have to cover his work.
Problem I'm having is that Elite refuses to fix my car because he's gone. They say it's no longer their problem.

I'd be careful, I'm going to Legal Aid before I do anything as I've already spoken to the ACCC. They suggested I talk to Legal Aid as my next step.

Personally, I'm a fan of servicing my car, so from now on, that's what I'll do. Don't waste your time with this company.
Bingo_244 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2009, 12:15 AM   #26
Valid8
COOGES

I can see Elites side of the arguement also. They paid your mechanic to repair the transmission and that means the mechanic now gives a warranty on the transmission and his workmanship so Elite have held up their end of the contract in my opinion. Having said that ,there are a few items on the Futura that need looking at, so we will see how Elite handle those.
Old 25-02-2009, 04:20 PM   #27
Bingo_244
Mitsubishi Owner

Well they won't repair mechanical, that's the obvious truth, but they will repair anything that breaks un-expectedly. I mean, if you have a ticking lifter, it seizes and causes your engine to grenade (highly unlikely) then thats is negligence, they also may accept the claim, but only pay for the replacement lift, as it was the faulty part.

Checking your T&C is worth it.
After much dispute my issue has been resolved, 1 month without a car though.
Old 25-02-2009, 04:42 PM   #28
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadKa
I got one of these warranties when I bought my ED. It was my first car and pretty much cost me all my dough. 3 days after I bought it the fuel pump crapped itself. No worries I thought I've got the warranty. When I made the claim they said. "Sorry your only covered for a mechanical fuel pump" of which the ED of course doesn't have... Bonza. There goes a few hundred bucks I didn't have. Of course the dealer didn't want to hear about it.

That should have been covered under the 3 month statutory warranty which has to be given by law if you buy from a dealer...
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 03:28 AM   #29
Bingo_244
Mitsubishi Owner

some have specific terms relating to the cool-off period and stat warranty, I've noticed the "cheap" yards have very specific T&C's relating to the time you can claim on the car... most is like 1 week.
Old 18-03-2009, 06:48 PM   #30
Bingo_244
Mitsubishi Owner

Just letting people know, my dispute is settled, it only took 6 weeks and threats of the ACCC/Consumer Watchdog/Fair Trading to get my issue sorted.

Not sure how interested anyone is, but if you need to contact me, pm me and I'll probably have a looksie eventually. pending that contact "Ride" on this forum, and he can contact me to let me know.