Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-08-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Thought about what you'd do if you were getting car jacked?

Well I drive a pretty nice, if I do say so myself, 351 XC that gets lots of looks.
I've often thought what I'd do if someone tried to car jack me and the best I could come up with was to throw the keys onto the roof of a nearby house and run like hell or fight him if I thought I'd win.

So today I go back to my old 'hood to see my Dr. I've been going to for yonks and theres about 5 or 6 real dodgey looking blokes hanging around the front of the surgery and they all take a real long look at my car as I park her up. I decide to make no eye contact and just walk in, grab my script and get the hell outta there.

Anyway one calls out to me, "Hey mate!", " Here we go" I think to myself, chuck the keys on the roof, run inside, lock the door and call the cops.

"What years your car?" , "1978" I reply, "Whats it worth", I think for a second, undervalue it by heaps and they wont be interested, "Oh only about 5 grand at the most."

Got my script and cleared out, might be time to get a doc closer to home and away from the old 'hood.

So has anyone planned on what they'd do if confronted with something similar?

Old 21-08-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I run a fuel pump cut out. The kill button is next to the seatbelt buckle. If a car jacking ever happens as I unbuckle the seat belt to get out I hit the press button kill switch and it blows the fuse to the fuel pump. Car will idle and run until the fuel in the line and bowls clears out. Enough time to get away from the car but still keep it in sight as it stalls and splutters a few hundred meters down the road.
You have to think like a theif to stay ahead of them. It may not ever happen but if it does Ill be stuffed if some looser with a knife or a gun is going to take my pride and joy.
GTPete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2009, 10:35 PM   #3
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yOUR PARANOID.
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always leave the missus in the car.. enough to scare anyone off..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2009, 10:44 PM   #5
bdave351
R u a Fogwit or a HIDiot?

Like your thinking GTPete.

Was a spate of them a while back in NSW but has died down a bit now.

Now Quattro RS3 powered
bdave351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2009, 10:48 PM   #6
GT-E

No matter what, your life is not worth a car.
I would give them the keys and run.
I also have a 4D Maglite in the door for no win situations and lighting and always drive with the doors locked.
Evasion is the best defence.
Old 21-08-2009, 10:50 PM   #7
Teflon Turbo
Banned

isn't thre are south central thread for this, or a straight outta compton sub forum?

yo yo yo
Teflon Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2009, 10:50 PM   #8
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Take my car its worth more in insurance than what id get if i sold it
f1tzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2009, 10:59 PM   #9
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

I like the kill button on the belt buckle idea. In theory it's a brilliant idea, but in practise, I'd hate for it to run out when I was getting out of the car and I was at the mercy of some maniac car jacker.

Although, I remember reading in guiness world records, that there is a car security system that blows flames out both sides of the car and sizzles the suspects. No surprise it's a invention that originates from south africa.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2009, 11:16 PM   #10
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My car has a hijacking system so they won't get to far unless they bail me up with a gun or some weapon of some description for the code.

Even then I don't care too much, it's worth more insured than what I can sell it for. I don't really get attached to cars to be honest, I'd just buy a better one.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2009, 11:24 PM   #11
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Use a wheelbrace-to the face. I can't stand thieves.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2009, 11:45 PM   #12
Daniel
F6 - with sugar on top

Agreed, you're paranoid considering you live in a country like Australia..
Having been to countries like South Africa, I am comfortable in any suburb I've come across to date!

Now to answer your question; honestly if it were to happen, I'd let them take it on the one condition that they strip is good good and proper or they damage it enough for me to get paid out when its found!

Might also ask if they could drop me at a train station or bus stop, as a joke..

PS: it just hit me, I drive with my doors locked like all the time (because the bloody drivers door lock sometimes makes a noise when its up) but if my window down all I can say is I hope they can hold on TIGHT or don't mind a few fists!

Last edited by Daniel; 21-08-2009 at 11:57 PM. Reason: no need to dbl post
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2009, 11:47 PM   #13
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Strange for some one to walk round in this country with a paraniod perception of what might happen. Most people I thought felt pretty compfortable while in or with their possesions. My mind tells me that its the gutless sneaks who will do it whilst you not looking. Shoping running errands its the normal lock her up but when its in the gararge I am paraniod that some sneak will pinch the keys from in the house while I am snapping off one of their kind down the long drop, so the front door gets locked too.

Car jacking, when you say that I liken it to South Africa where its full on.
Not saying it will or won't happen here but I certainly don't feel the need to be spooked each time I see some rough characters looming about and besides, personally I don't know how I would react I know if its a gun or and knives maybe let them butif they are dumb enough to be with out those items they better know how to use their knuckles. I don't have a very long fuse at all in a situation
Old 21-08-2009, 11:55 PM   #14
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

In all seriousness, I would defend my property to the utmost. No-one steals from me if I can stop them. Get hurt? Probably. It's the principle though, I won't let a lowlife flog my things and let him get away with it, regardless of insurance. Out come the fists and I'll cop my " punishment" if need be
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 22-08-2009, 12:02 AM   #15
Daniel
F6 - with sugar on top

What if the punishment is a few bullets or stab wounds if you're lucky enough to be left alive?
Have you been anywhere to see how a 'real' carjacking goes down?

I read about some 13/14yo boys car jacking an old lady the next suburb over to me a few months back; turned out it wasn't a car jacking but a theft with keys in it as she was near by!
We have a high number of auto thefts in this country, I agree with the above post worrying about it more when I m NOT in the car?!
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2009, 12:17 AM   #16
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel
Now to answer your question; honestly if it were to happen, I'd let them take it on the one condition that they strip is good good and proper or they damage it enough for me to get paid out when its found!
My thinking exactly. Same goes for it just being normally stolen. If you steal it make sure i dont get it back!

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2009, 12:19 AM   #17
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Regardless of punishment, I'd defend my principles. I worry more about my car getting smashed up or stolen in my driveway than me driving it- but that's just me. if the guy had a gun to my face, more power to him. I'd still stand up for myself and the fact that this is Australia, not some two-bit POS country with no morals. It's not the car I'm standing up for, it's mine and everyone elses safety.
Game. Reinvented.

Old 22-08-2009, 12:41 AM   #18
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Just get an Trunk Monkey , problem solved.

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 22-08-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2009, 01:58 AM   #19
GTP370
2005 BA II GTP

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Excellent breakdown of costs associated with importing a pre-89 car from the U.S.  Very helpful to others and at least two other guys will use the provided info to make their dreams reality.. 

Friend of mine recently got car jacked in Sydney in his brand new BMW M5.

Two bloke's pretending to be a mufti cop flashed the lights.

Mate pulls over and they pulled over in front of his car, which straight way he thought was odd.

They get out, faces covered with balaclava's, and told him to get out of the car. He said no.

Then they pointed a gun to his head then fired a shot into the back seat.

Mate gets out.

Good bye car for ever.

Least my mate is one piece though!!!
GTP370 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2009, 02:04 AM   #20
Maggot
Half an aussie garage!!

You gotta face it.. once someone has a gun to your head.. hand over the keys.. not many people are going to go beyond that.

Just hope that if it does get stolen. that they burn the bloody thing so you don't have to have it back.
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2009, 02:42 AM   #21
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-E
No matter what, your life is not worth a car.
I would give them the keys and run.
I also have a 4D Maglite in the door for no win situations and lighting and always drive with the doors locked.
Evasion is the best defence.
Ive got one too, you would be surprised how much someone gets stunned when you flash them in the face, followed by a whack to the chest
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2009, 06:47 AM   #22
The Monty
Just slidin'

Im a Butcher, and as I dont have a place to store my knives at work (large factory) I carry them to and from work with me. Try and hold me up with a pocket knife, and Ill pull out my 12 inch slicing knife, for slicing
Old 22-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #23
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Im a Butcher, and as I dont have a place to store my knives at work (large factory) I carry them to and from work with me. Try and hold me up with a pocket knife, and Ill pull out my 12 inch slicing knife, for slicing
"give him the car, he's got a knife!"
"that's not a knife...THIS is a knife!"
Game. Reinvented.

Old 22-08-2009, 04:08 PM   #24
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP370
Friend of mine recently got car jacked in Sydney in his brand new BMW M5.

Two bloke's pretending to be a mufti cop flashed the lights.

Mate pulls over and they pulled over in front of his car, which straight way he thought was odd.

They get out, faces covered with balaclava's, and told him to get out of the car. He said no.

Then they pointed a gun to his head then fired a shot into the back seat.

Mate gets out.

Good bye car for ever.

Least my mate is one piece though!!!

Mate, all of us Sydney siders know all too well just how often it actually does occur.
In Sydney, we have a large middle eastern car exporting program where premium cars, luxury cars and exotics get carjacked (as most of them won't work without the key), taken to a wrecker or panel shop and end up getting loaded into a shipping container bound for the middle east.
This is why most carjacked cars are never found again; because they're in another country.
Now, this is not a racist rant as there has been plenty of media coverage of the same and sometimes customs issue press releases about containers they've checked (only about 3% of all containers) finding mainly whole cars, or cars stripped with all the parts inside. A couple of years ago there was even a police raid and about 20 businesses in the banstown/condell park area where involved.

As for what I'd do, I have the anti hijack feature which automatically locks the doors, and I also look around as I drive and stop at lights etc. painfully aware of what may happen. If some little grease ball wants the car, he'll have to pay for it.

Quote: